Portugal European Champion

Discussion in 'IRB Sevens, World Cup & Premiership 7s' started by canongia, Jul 18, 2008.

1. canongia

canongia Guest

Six out of Seven! Portugal won the FIRA-AER championship for the 6th time in seven editions. Last year Russian won, but the portuguese head was on the World Cup. Portugal beat top teams like Romania, Georgia, Irland and Wales. In older editions beat France several times. At London Seven's, Portugal beat Australia. But maybe England is the best sevens team in Europe - didn't play in Hannover.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. pennysworth

pennysworth Guest

it's actually very surprising how good portugal's 7's aside is compared to their 15's.

4. canongia

canongia Guest

It's easier to find 7/12 good players, then 15/30...

5. KillerMcOne

KillerMcOne Guest

i was there at Hannover Sevens....Portugal played great but i was sad becasue germany did lose very closely to them with only 14:12 :wah:
    but at least portugal deserved to win the tournament and it was impressing how they could defeat Wales in the final :cheers:

6. feicarsinn

feicarsinn Guest

also in alot of the smaller nations in the top ten there isnt as much depth as you think and clubs dont want to release their player be they second string or not

7. mesq

mesq Guest

What has been hindering (dramatically, I say) the development of 15-rugby in Portugal is the inability to produce quality forwards. But that is far from being a problem in Sevens... :D

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!