• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Portuguese Player

R

Roque

Hello everyone!

My name is Joao, I'm 16, I am Portuguese, rugby game will be 1 year, my club is Belas Rugby Club (probably never heard of it).

My question is, I am advanced, the number 1 team, but I do not like this position because I can not get out of the scrum to penetrate the opponent's line, I wanted to be number 8.

I measure 1.81 m and weigh 96 kg, I have a BF of 17.5%.

My question is what qualities should I have to be number 8? And as you train for them.

Thanks for the help.

Greetings

(Sorry my bad english)

work on being strong running with the ball and also work on your handling.

Also, send a PM to Melhor Time because he speaks Portuguese and may be able to explain things better.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roque @ Dec 1 2009, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hello everyone!

My name is Joao, I'm 16, I am Portuguese, rugby game will be 1 year, my club is Belas Rugby Club (probably never heard of it).

My question is, I am advanced, the number 1 team, but I do not like this position because I can not get out of the scrum to penetrate the opponent's line, I wanted to be number 8.

My question is what qualities should I have to be number 8? And as you train for them.

Thanks for the help.

Greetings

(Sorry my bad english)[/b]

O Man I'm going to have fun with this! I am in a very similar boat to you my friend. I started playing rugby at lock, then moved to 8. I switched teams and they wanted me to play at 1. I did and was pretty good at it, but my heart was still for no. 8. And now, I am! I'm 23; my stats are 188 cm and 104 kg. BF is 15% but I had surgery two weeks ago and have been sitting on my ass eating Thanksgiving turkey. Usually try to run around 10%.

At this point Joao, you sound like you'd make a great no. 8. You are fairly big for your age so that is a good advantage. At this point I would have to say that your BF could be lower to make you a more effective no. 8, able to cover ground and use speed. In addition, you want to increase your lean muscle mass. At 16, you are just to the age when you should start lifting weights, so you should incorporate that into your regimen.

Here's a sample training schedule that you could use to help with these things:
(assuming that you practice rugby two times a week. if you play 3 times a week, take out one of the running days.

Monday - Lift weights
Tuesday - Practice / Calisthenics
Wednesday - Running/kicking around, 20 min. sprint training (run as fast as you can).
Thursday - Practice
Fri - Long slow run
Sat - Game or Lift weights
Sun - off

Monday - I am assuming that this is new to you, and that you have not lifted weights previously. If you have, and you are on some team program then stay with that. You should stick to some very basic stuff, but make sure you have variety as well. I would suggest that since you are only working out once, or maybe twice each week, that you vary the workout from week to week. So week one looks like:
(oh, always make sure that you warm up)
Leg extension - 3 sets of 12
Leg Press - 4 sets of 8
Leg Curl - 3 sets of 12
Front shoulder raise - 2 sets of 12
Shoulder press - 3 sets of 10
Rear Raise - 2 sets of 12
Core training

and the next week do:
Bench Press - 3 sets of 8
Dumbell Flye - 2 sets of 10
Lat Pulldown - 2 sets of 12
Cable Row - 3 sets of 10
Barbell Curl - 3 sets of 10
Dumbbell Curl - 3 sets of 8
Core training

If you end up not having a game and working out twice in a week, just do them both and then start back over the next week. If you don't know how to do these exercises then look them up on youtube. Also, after doing this for two months, you should look up some new exercises that target the same bodyparts and use them instead. Generally you should change up any workout every two months.

Tuesday - Do your normal practice but do some calisthenics after you practice, or do them at your home. Calisthenics are simply bodyweight exercises. You've most likely done them before:
Push up - 3 sets of 30
Pull ups - 3 sets of maximum number you can do
Crunches - 3 sets of 20
Wall Squat 2 x 60 seconds
Squat Jumps - 3 x 15
Crunches - 2 x 20
3 x maximum

Wednesday - Sprint training:
warm up laps
2 x 20m
2 x 40m
2 x 60m
2 x 100m

Thursday just practice. Save your energy for the weekend.

Friday run about 2 to 3 miles as a jogging pace

Saturday score some tries, or do your 2nd weights workout

Hope that isn't too much. If you are in the off season, and are not practicing that is a different story altogether, and we could really focus on getting you jacked up. If that is the case, lemme know and I'll give you the scoop.
Also, I would say that a lot will depend on how you grow. If you don't get taller, it would probably behoove you to play prop. Coaches will want taller 8s at higher levels. But, I will hope that you do keep growing, which you probably will. I was 180 cm at age 16. Anyways, hope that this helps you. If you don't have access to weight facilities, then add in more calisthenics, and google strongman exercises. Hehe. Let me know if I forgot anything, Good luck and viva la 8!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roque @ Dec 2 2009, 03:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hello everyone!

Thanks for the help.

Greetings

(Sorry my bad english)[/b]
The key difference between a prop who turns #8 and a natural #8 is that you have to be able to make decisions and are responcible for alot of distribution. I'd also as mentioned try to become leaner, work on passing and maybe do a bit of speed work such as sprinting.

Hello ruggersp!

Thanks for the reply, I practice gym will also almost 2 years, and began to train in the gym with only 14 years, my legs are strong, have great strength, my weakness is the chest, back, also have enough força.No year at age 15, entered a domestic championship in my gym.

I think I have to train over the sprint, the acceleration, and passing. In the Christmas holidays, I a few teammates, we train for my club, I'm training hard sprinting with weights on his feet, the train is also much resistance, and I have to also train the tackle, sometimes I'm afraid to tackle ...: \

My teammates, they call me the bull of the team: D
Compared with other advanced and even with the 3 / 4 I am huge lol

The last time I measured the diameter of my shoulders was at 1.36 meters in diameter, in Portuguese rugby so very good, rugby is new here and we're the ones to go to the amateur championship of the world ^ ^

Greetings and thank you!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roque @ Dec 2 2009, 03:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hello ruggersp!

Thanks for the reply, I practice gym will also almost 2 years, and began to train in the gym with only 14 years, my legs are strong, have great strength, my weakness is the chest, back, also have enough força.No year at age 15, entered a domestic championship in my gym.

I think I have to train over the sprint, the acceleration, and passing. In the Christmas holidays, I a few teammates, we train for my club, I'm training hard sprinting with weights on his feet, the train is also much resistance, and I have to also train the tackle, sometimes I'm afraid to tackle ...: \

My teammates, they call me the bull of the team: D
Compared with other advanced and even with the 3 / 4 I am huge lol

The last time I measured the diameter of my shoulders was at 1.36 meters in diameter, in Portuguese rugby so very good, rugby is new here and we're the ones to go to the amateur championship of the world ^ ^

Greetings and thank you![/b]

It sounds like you are on a very good path my friend. For your chest and back, make sure you do the heavy compound lifts (bench press, incline bench press, deadlift, bent over row, etc). Especially at prop it is paramount that you have a strong back.

As for the tackling, I can sympathize. I used to be rather timid when going into the tackle, but especially at 8 you MUST make tackles. You should have one of the highest tackle counts each game, with maybe only your flankers and occasionally a center having more tackles than you. In addition, the tackles that you are called on to make are some of the most important. Say the opposing no. 8 peels off a scrum and your flanker misses the tackle; If you miss it too, more than likely he will score a try. You must also be mobile to cover across the field and still make the tackle. You must force yourself to think, "I WANT to make this tackle. It is all that matters in the world right now." Tackles are also easier when you get low. When you are closing in, look at their hips to determine which direction they will take. Then aim to plant your shoulder about one inch behind their back, and drive through the legs as you make contact. Try to make a solid hit early in the game as well, as this will help your confidence. Nothing feels better then making a grown man pop off of the ground and send them hurtling through the air and down into the dirt. This goes against the human instinct for survival, so don't feel bad that you are timid to tackle. It is merely something that you will feel more comfortable with the more you do it. Just run through that mental checklist when you are heading into the tackle, and commit yourself 100%. If you are not committed, then the ball carrier will most likely beat you. Also, during training, show your coach that you are willing to get stuck in and that you are thinking, "That's MY tackle".

Hello again, thanks for the help ruggersp.

I am thinking of vacation home you will be training for my club, as I said, I was thinking of doing some physical tests, for example, how long it takes me to run 100 meters, my training will last for a few days, I have 2 weeks holiday train perhaps 10 days, and at the beginning of the tests will give a result and at the end too, and compare the results to see if I'm progressing, I need help deciding which physical tests should I do, just come to my mind as it takes me to 100 meters, I can say that more tests can I do? Of resistance?

Greetings, and sorry for my bad english ;)

you're a forward, so the 100 m isn't all that relevant. perhaps 10/20/40 m instead. isn't much point training with distances over 40 too, or ankle weights(!!!).

in any case, 2 weeks is too short a time to see much progress. trying too hard is the enemy of progress

Latest posts