• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Posistions in rugby

gsc1ugs

Academy Player
Hi

I'm new to RL I KNOW the defensive line what is the attacking line in order by number please?

IE: from left to right 5 - 4 etc I know its wings, centres is it 2nd rows then half backs,? numbers would be great thank you

1: Fullback
2: Left wing
3: Centre
4: Centre
5: Wing
6: Standoff
7: scrumhalf
8: prop
9: Hooker
10: Prop
11: Second row
12: Second Row
13: Loose forward

The hooker acts like a union scrumhalf in open play , whereas the Scrumhalf (and 6) act more like a union flyhalf

I know that and thxs its just where across the field they stand, heres defensive line pic i'll add

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

yep that pic is pretty accurate, obviously in general play you would have 2 marker defenders at the play the ball with a hole in the defensive line behind them, sometimes you will see a halfback acting like a sweeper shadowing play across the field covering that hole , grubber kicks .chip overs and on the last tackle the two wingers will drop back for the kick returns which will open up a chance for the attack to run it on the last tackle to exploit the overlap.

Drift and rush defence also are used in RL?

So wings then centres then second rows then halfbacks then forwards in the middle with full back sweeping behind second rows?

Wing/centre/then its more interchangeable depending on the situation and defensive/attacking ability's but it's usually half backs or loose forward, with second rows props hooker down the middle with fullback shadowing play roughly 30m back.

As for Rush/drift defence well it's probably more a case of numbering up, making sure you have the same numbers on each side of the PTB as the opposition, it's more man to man marking and if your winning the collisions and getting your defence back ready you will then rush up but like in Union if your loosing the collisions defences get sucked in.
When you are short of numbers on one side the temptation is to drift but you really need to be more pro active because backline attacks are well structured to exploit overlaps and stop drift defence.
In this situation good defensive centres will try to read who the ball is going to and rush out and smash them, a winger will come in if the centre comes in and move out if the centre moves out.( I would prefer wingers to hold their chalk more and just make the decision to come in or not at the last second)

The hooker acts like a union scrumhalf in open play , whereas the Scrumhalf (and 6) act more like a union flyhalf

So then what does the flyhalf do?

Edit: nvm I see that 6 is the standoff (=flyhalf?) So there are two guys playing flyhalf?

Ah sorry miss read yeah post asking about attack not defence. numbers on backs are all squad numbers rather than positional numbers.
scrum half works with the forwards close to the PTB , stand off is further out working with loose forward and backs.
Back line attacks will alternate between play maker and runner and yes the fullback sweeping in behind a back rower with centre and wing outside him.

Latest posts