• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Position Advice Please

Depot

Academy Player
Country Flag
Canada
Club or Nation
Canada
I know there's a lot of these threads, but everyone's unique!

I weigh 150lb/68kg, my height is 5'8", almost 5'9". I'm pretty strong for my weight, and I am fast and agile, with good endurance.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Size wise, you're either a wing or a scrum-half. If you've got the skills for it, you're almost definitley a scrum-half - although your polite demeanour is a mark against you in those respects.

Maybe outside centre or wing. I'm the same age and your around the same size as some of our players in those positions. If you wanted to play flanker you'd probably need around another 10kg.

Should have mentioned I played winger last year. Hopefully this year I'll play center.

I'd love to play Flanker. It's one of the positions I am aiming for. Don't think I will make the weight gains though, only have 6(ish) weeks until my season starts... Which is 5 days a week.

If you did a 5x5 weight programme you'd bulk up quickly. However you would of course lose speed.

How broad are your shoulders?

There's no reason a smaller man (particularly as I keep forgetting your age group) can't play flanker, but broad shoulders and hips are really useful for a flanker. Small and skinny makes the breakdown tricky (in that situation, you want to be rucking through rather than going for the jackal most of the time).

I still say you're built like a scrum-half, but can't blame you for ignoring me, as they're almost universally arseholes... speaking of arseholes, you're not too far off hooker size if you can bulk up a little more.

How broad are your shoulders?

There's no reason a smaller man (particularly as I keep forgetting your age group) can't play flanker, but broad shoulders and hips are really useful for a flanker. Small and skinny makes the breakdown tricky (in that situation, you want to be rucking through rather than going for the jackal most of the time).

I still say you're built like a scrum-half, but can't blame you for ignoring me, as they're almost universally arseholes... speaking of arseholes, you're not too far off hooker size if you can bulk up a little more.

In all honesty which position can't be construed as an asshole.

Dont worry about weight gains! as long as you can tackle and have a good engine you could play flanker easily. Plus at 16 you could grow a good few inches yet. Dont get obsessed with size make sure you are fit and conditioned and you can play where ever you want.

I have pretty broad shoulders. I tried to measure them... Pretty hard to do by yourself. They were about... 18-19inches. (So like 48 centimeters)

Do you guys think, if I did a 5x5 programm like StrongLifts or whatever, I could gain 10 pounds in 6 weeks?

Dont worry about weight gain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get fit and conditioned lots of cardio and weight training that works several muscle groups at once.

I have pretty broad shoulders. I tried to measure them... Pretty hard to do by yourself. They were about... 18-19inches. (So like 48 centimeters)

Do you guys think, if I did a 5x5 programm like StrongLifts or whatever, I could gain 10 pounds in 6 weeks?

Definitely possible in my opinion, when you're around that age (which I still am actually :lol: ) you put on muscle fast as long as you eat right.

I'd try and stay in the backs if I were you though, it's a big switch between the forwards and the backs

Dont worry about weight gain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get fit and conditioned lots of cardio and weight training that works several muscle groups at once.

I don't do much cardio. I'm naturally fast/agile, and our team does nearly three straight months of hardcore cardio/drills/conditioning. (5 days a week, so... almost 60 days).

I need to gain weight! I'd be doing compounds, like squats, deadlifts, benches, etc. I feel so damn scrawny, it's ridiculous.

You could definitely gain 10 pounds in that time as long as you eat the right foods eat around 5-6 decent sized meals a day. I'm the same age as I said am somewhere between 5'10"-5'11" and am between 90-95kg (around 200 pounds I think) of mostly muscle (or at least I like to think so).

Dont worry about that too much technice will always beat size even in the front row. You might feel scawny but I bet your opposite number doesnt look at you that way. Have confidance in yourself and stop looking in the mirror and worry more about playing the game, things like your body position going into rucks, getting the ball back when tackled, making sure you are in the right position when you are defending. The basics of the game are far far more important than your chest size or what you can 'press'. weight conditioning can only add to your game not make it.

You could definitely gain 10 pounds in that time as long as you eat the right foods eat around 5-6 decent sized meals a day. I'm the same age as I said am somewhere between 5'10"-5'11" and am between 90-95kg (around 200 pounds I think) of mostly muscle (or at least I like to think so).

Nice! I wish I were as big as you haha. What workout program/whatever do you do? Or do you just make it up as you go?

Obviously technique is the most important thing but size can allow you to showcase your technique and everyone I know who plays rugby sizes up their opponents as soon as they see them it doesn't matter if that's a bad thing to do it still happens as a natural reaction.

Oh yes, for sure. I take down the biggest guys in my league regularly. I'm pretty fearless when it comes to contact. Still, I get run over sometimes just because they have 50 pounds on me.

I still would like to bulk up a lot more, regardless of how big I am now or how big my opponents are.

Nice! I wish I were as big as you haha. What workout program/whatever do you do? Or do you just make it up as you go?

I play with my school and an ex-student who's a personal trainer does a program for us our cup starts this week so we've slowed it down. Before that we were working on power for a month or so (cleans, push-squats, jump deadlifts) over the summer is when we did the 5x5 program. There would normally be 6 exercises 2 would be the big exercises e.g. bench press, bench pull, deadlift, back-squat with a 2x8 warm up obviously followed by the 5x5. It was my first time doing weights and I gained about 10 kilos over the summer and my lifts increases massively. We also mixed in exercises like chin-ups, flyers, body-pulls etc. and to make sure we didn't become big lumps we'd do a conditioning session every other week or so where there'd be around 6/7 stations with something like 100 bench press, 100 step-ups and 50 dumbell rows each side. Absolutely killed but definitely worth it.

Obviously you don't have a summer so you'd have to condense it in someway.

I play with my school and an ex-student who's a personal trainer does a program for us our cup starts this week so we've slowed it down. Before that we were working on power for a month or so (cleans, push-squats, jump deadlifts) over the summer is when we did the 5x5 program. There would normally be 6 exercises 2 would be the big exercises e.g. bench press, bench pull, deadlift, back-squat with a 2x8 warm up obviously followed by the 5x5. It was my first time doing weights and I gained about 10 kilos over the summer and my lifts increases massively. We also mixed in exercises like chin-ups, flyers, body-pulls etc. and to make sure we didn't become big lumps we'd do a conditioning session every other week or so where there'd be around 6/7 stations with something like 100 bench press, 100 step-ups and 50 dumbell rows each side. Absolutely killed but definitely worth it.

Obviously you don't have a summer so you'd have to condense it in someway.

Sounds like a solid program. Yeah, I don't have too much time though.

If I did SL 5x5 or something, I'd probably need to start off with a higher weight than the recommended 45lb, as I have 4-6 weeks before I'd stop. You think doing a 5x5 program, where you can't even be close to finishing it, do anything for me? I'd need to find one where I started off with some decent weight as well.

Latest posts