• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Position advice.

Come on England

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
I'm 15, 5 foot 9 and weigh just under 10 stone. My main strength is my evasive skills, and I can kick pretty well as I have played a lot of football (soccer). I can pass the ball well and although I'm not the quickest, I'm not slow. I want to influence the game as much as possible and want to be involved in both the attacking and defensive side of the game.

I'm 15, 5 foot 9 and weigh just under 10 stone. My main strength is my evasive skills, and I can kick pretty well as I have played a lot of football (soccer). I can pass the ball well and although I'm not the quickest, I'm not slow. I want to influence the game as much as possible and want to be involved in both the attacking and defensive side of the game.

Have you played much rugby before? I'm guessing not that much from your question!? Perhaps fullback and then see where your skillset takes you. Playing further in requires more experience & skill, you can't really just jump in at 9 or 10. Also as you know how to kick a soccer ball, start practicing rugby place kicks, it will make you more valuable to the the team. You've probably got 90% of what is required to place kick a ball.

Have you played much rugby before? I'm guessing not that much from your question!? Perhaps fullback and then see where your skillset takes you. Playing further in requires more experience & skill, you can't really just jump in at 9 or 10. Also as you know how to kick a soccer ball, start practicing rugby place kicks, it will make you more valuable to the the team. You've probably got 90% of what is required to place kick a ball.

Sound advice. 15 also isn't so old that you can get seriously injured from bad tackling technique due to inexperience. I would say start at 15 and practice the basics of that position as often as you can; kick returns, catching high balls out of the air, positioning for fielding kicks and as last line of defense, joining the line on attack when it's likely your team will keep hold of the ball. Decision making is quite important and would depend a lot on if you support with you and what your coach would want.

I have but not for 3/4 years. I've been told that I would make a decent Fly Half but I'm not sure. Problem with Full-Back is that I am a bit hit and miss under the high ball.

I have but not for 3/4 years. I've been told that I would make a decent Fly Half but I'm not sure.

You may be able to kick & have the ball skills to play fly-half, but there are other just as important aspects such as knowing exactly where to stand, knowing exactly what to do at certain stages during the match, knowing what moves would be most effective i.e utilising a support runner or having a wide move from 1st phase, knowing when to use your forwards and when to use your backs etc etc That all comes from experience not natural talent. You need 2 - 3 years, even at junior level, to properly understand the position. Your best bet, if you really want to play 10, is to start playing 12. I play 12 (and occasionally 10) and you are often drawn in as a first receiver during phase play, if the 10 is at the bottom of a ruck for example. So you pick up little bits here and there playing outside a fly half, you are right next to him, so you can see where he stands, hear him talking to his 9 & his support runners and after a season of playing 12 you could probably slot in at 10 and not look too stupid. Also join a touch competition if you can, you can pick up skills in touch that would help you in playing flyhalf.

Problem with Full-Back is that I am a bit hit and miss under the high ball.

Common problem, very easily resolved. It's technique and confidence. Have a look online for more tips, but the biggest mistake people make is, they don't watch the ball. They think they do, but they don't. What happens, is the kick goes up, their eyes follow it, then as it comes down they take their eyes off it. I don't know why, but a lot of people do this subconsciously. And just a split second with your eyes off the ball is enough to drop it. Follow the ball until in lands in your arms. Maybe look at the "Gilbert" on the ball and watch it the whole time. Also get your body in the right position, arms up in the air, pointing towards the ball and forming a cradle for it to land in. Get a mate to kick high balls to you and when you drop one, try and analyse why you dropped it and learn from that. This also applies for catching passes, people take their eyes off the ball, checking the oncoming tackler.

Latest posts