• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Position change, need training ideas....

Kerr

Academy Player
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Scotland
So today I have discovered where I'm best suited, today I was playing at centre instead of my usual back row position and have discovered I'm not a bad centre, this was also noticed by the coach and has taken a note of this with the idea of possibly putting me there more often.

basically, I am looking on ideas for training speed as that's the element I need to work on, I'm a big-ish, strong bloke so I can batter through the opposition, I'm not slow by any means but would like to improve this area.

For my weight training I train 3 days a week and do Push exercises on day one followed by Pull on day two and legs on day 3. I do 4 sets in a pyramid style format (starting lightish and getting heavier)

what do use think?
Cheers
Craig

Well, I'm no expert, but I cribbed a few ideas from the Margot Wells Total Rugby videos and found them helpful, so I'd recommend taking a look. Easy enough to find on youtube. There's also some stuff in Jim Greenwood's books, I'll post these up when I can have a look - but we're talking about sprinting up inclines, competitive sprints, resistance training, that sort of thing.

Only other thing I'd add is take good care of yourself stretching wise and all that - you can't run that fast with tight hammies.

Latest posts