• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Position ?

danmorrissey

Academy Player
I'm 16 , around 6'5 , and just under 90kg with 12% body fat(I'm not fat in other words) with modern day backs being as they are I don't see why I can be one but I'm also the tallest on my club team? So should I be in the pack or in the backs? I run 100m in around 13 seconds(just under it)

be whatever you want to be... but it'll all come down to your ability and where your natural aptitudes for Rugby sits.

I started out at age 7 as a hooker, then a flanker. But I played most of my adult rugby at 10 & 13, but my best position was at 15.

just keep an open mind and don't dismiss anything.

I despair that the youth of today want to be backs.

It honestly doesn't bother me where I play but I think modern day backs are bigger and taller than older backs , ie north cuthbert tuilagi Burrell Bowe versus bod Shane Williams darcy and smith

I'm 16 , around 6'5 , and just under 90kg with 12% body fat(I'm not fat in other words) with modern day backs being as they are I don't see why I can be one but I'm also the tallest on my club team? So should I be in the pack or in the backs? I run 100m in around 13 seconds(just under it)

I would try backrow,but you should increase your weight

Im not really concerned about my weight I'm as strong as most back rows/second rows are and the last thing I want to do is pile on weight now and put a strain on my ankles and knees before I'm finished growing

agreed, about the weight thing, you're still growing don't put strain on your skeleton.

What do you prefer, do you enjoy watching the back or the forwards, what are you like when playing touch rugby etc..., do you run and pass, or truck it up.

What does your coach think?

I despise playing in the backs :lol: Well the obvious choice would be second row considering your heigth but I would say unless your going to become a professional, play wherever you want to play.

I despise playing in the backs :lol: Well the obvious choice would be second row considering your heigth but I would say unless your going to become a professional, play wherever you want to play.

Honestly I'd like a proper crack of operating a line out but I also like getting the ball with space apron run into and defenders to take on ? I'll admit I probably don't pass as much as I should but I've got decent passes from both sides that's just down to decision making . My kicking/catching is relatively good from playing gaa also so that's not a problem , probably prefer the backs

Evan raises a valid point. Are you just looking to have fun, or do you have ambitions of playing at a higher level?

If you just want to have fun, then if you like the backs play there (you big girl's blouse). You've got all the attributes from the sound of it.

If you're thinking about taking rugby as far as you can go, then while you're right that there are plenty of big lads in the backs these days, I think you'd either need to be a bit quicker, or need a good step. To be a forward though, you've got a very good base, particularly if you can start slowly putting some weight on.

Latest posts