• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Possible Lions dark horses

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

In Geech's last tour as coach, he made some left of centre calls such as selecting Will Greenwood, Paul Wallace and Eric Miller to go on tour. Without doubt there'll be one or two more "baffling" calls this time out. Who do you think some of those players could be? I'm going to restrict a couple of my dark horse picks to players who are currently out of the international reckoning.

Ceri Jones and Mike Ross of Harlequins have been cornerstones of a pack which has demolished pretty much every opponent this year. With the derth of top propping options (other than Adam Jones, Euan Murray and, debateably, Andrew Sheridan), I think one of these guys could be an outside bet to tour.

From a Welsh perspective, Tom James is my pick. There aren't many wingers putting their hands up (Shane Williams is playing on reputation, a couple of English wingers are playing ok) and i think he's been immense in the Blues last two games. Along with Halfpenny, he was easily the standout winger in the HC quarters imo. He's also got an EDF final and a HC Semi and possibly final to show what he can do. He's big, strong and rapid, doesn't loose the ball and makes very little mistakes. Out on the hard ground in SA, he'd be devastating imo.

rather than getting some dark horses we may well get some left field selections if there's a Welsh and Wasps bias in selections as in taking the likes of Sackey, Lewsey, Cipriani, Powell or even a half fit Henson, despite what they've said about injured players previously.

O'Leary could well be another surprise to tour considering where he was a year ago.

I'd love to see Mike Ross on the Lions tour so we have no choice but to stop ignoring him in the Ireland set up!

It's not long before we have a front three of Healy Best Ross!

Munster bias here we come, but Keith Earls is 'teh man'.

We could really shock them and try announce Jean de Villiers....he'd be a bit of a dark horse.

Stephen Myler anyone? I've always been impressed when I've seen him play. He can kick aswell as anyone it seems and he seems to control the game well too.

I read in a newspaper here in SA that Ben Foden could maybe be a surprise inclusion...

Has Keith Earls been capped yet?

BTW would I be too leftist if I thought Matt Banahan could be a surprise inclusion?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Apr 13 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Has Keith Earls been capped yet?

BTW would I be too leftist if I thought Matt Banahan could be a surprise inclusion?[/b]

Yip, one cap and one try if I'm not mistaken...?

Keith Earls got a second cap. He came on for about 10 minutes at the end of the New Zealend match.

I like Matt Banahan too, don't see him making the tour though. Then again he is quite 'different' as wings go! So maybe.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Apr 13 2009, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I read in a newspaper here in SA that Ben Foden could maybe be a surprise inclusion...[/b]

With the recent drom in form for Kerney and Byrnes injury, it is certainly possible. Especially as he's more then capable of covering as well as anybody else at nine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Apr 13 2009, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Apr 13 2009, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read in a newspaper here in SA that Ben Foden could maybe be a surprise inclusion...[/b]

With the recent drom in form for Kerney and Byrnes injury, it is certainly possible. Especially as he's more then capable of covering as well as anybody else at nine.
[/b][/quote]

I can see him going, but bar injuries I can't see him starting the Tests. Might see him on the bench for his versatility, but I think either Phillips or Blair will have the bench scrum half spot and Jamie Roberts the Outside Back spot (because he can play 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15). Would love to see him in a back three with the likes of Halfpenney, Tom Evans or Keith Earls for the Emerging Springboks game though.

Had ***terall been capped when he was selected in 2005? I just remember looking at the squad and saying 'Oooo theee ell is eeeee??!!!'.
Also, are we going to have another warm-up game against the Pumas in Cardiff, seeing as the last one was so successful ;)

By left field you mean a player that wouldnt usually be considered by his country, but could well make the test side?

Keith Earls would have to be a serious contender for me. Not sure if its a left field selection anymore but he's a player well worth the ticket. Can play pretty much anywhere outside of 10 and seems to have the whole game. Given his form for Munster you cant say its "too early".

Mike Ross is another good call alright but I'd say the big one will be at hooker. I still think yer man Hartley will get the nod.

Jordan Turner-Hall perhaps? Been a rock at 12 for Quins this season, and certainly has the physicality to match up to a strong Springbok side.

Alan f***ing Quinlan. Immense as usual yesterday.

I'd go along with the Keith Earls suggestions as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Apr 13 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In Geech's last tour as coach, he made some left of centre calls such as selecting Will Greenwood, Paul Wallace and Eric Miller to go on tour. Without doubt there'll be one or two more "baffling" calls this time out. Who do you think some of those players could be? I'm going to restrict a couple of my dark horse picks to players who are currently out of the international reckoning.

Ceri Jones and Mike Ross of Harlequins have been cornerstones of a pack which has demolished pretty much every opponent this year. With the derth of top propping options (other than Adam Jones, Euan Murray and, debateably, Andrew Sheridan), I think one of these guys could be an outside bet to tour.[/b]

Tom James of the Blues...!

Great open Field runner

Big lad

very very fast

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 13 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
rather than getting some dark horses we may well get some left field selections if there's a Welsh and Wasps bias in selections as in taking the likes of Sackey, Lewsey, Cipriani, Powell or even a half fit Henson, despite what they've said about injured players previously.

O'Leary could well be another surprise to tour considering where he was a year ago.[/b]

If Henson was going to be fit enough to make the second weekend of the tour, i'd take him. He is that good. And as you said Gatland, Howley and Edwards regard him as the best 12 in the world.

considering the press circulating his injury he would be a surprise inclusion, if the press is all crap as it often is regarding henson then not a surprise at all...!

I wouldn't say Earls would be that left field.

Sure, he didn't feature prominently in the 6N but he should have done.

Latest posts