• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Post RWC 2011 Southern hemisphere

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Speculation as to which high profile players might move on (retire or go overseas) after the upcoming RWC and which players are in line to likely take their place.

These are the regular Springbok players I would be surprised should they stay on or who have allready anounced their departure after the tournament.

Bulls:
Definately: Victor Matfield, Bakkies Botha, Fourie du Preez
with replacements Flip van der Merwe, Juandre Kruger and Francois Hougaard
Possibly: Danie Rossouw and Gary Botha
There stars are aging but they have already blooded a number of young and very able replacements. Some way to go still to add to the team what the likes of Du Preez and Matfield contribute.

Sharks:
Likely: John Smit, the others are still quite young and the Sharks look set to keep its best players
and I don't know if Adi Jacobs counts. It also doesn't look as if Terblanche is willing to retire before 40.
Bismarck and Burden are already better players (Smit) and Ludik is able replacement for Turbo's
A good mix of experience and youth. It will be a battle between the Sharks and WP for SA dominance once the aging Bulls stars are gone IMO. At least for a year or two.

WP/Stormers
Possibly but unlikely for the most part: Conrad Jantjes, Jean de Villiers, Ricky Januarie, Anton van Zyl
Aplon, Paul Bosch/De Jongh, Schroeder, Fondse should the above move
A relatively young team who will probably only peak in the next year or two.

Freestate/Cheetahs
Likely: Juan Smith
Frans Viljoen looks set to fill these big boots
A young team who's only other aging player is Nico Breedt. Brussow is likely to stay on.

Lions
Erm, they don't have any current Springboks.
Overall a young up-and-coming team with a handful of experienced guys but who aren't regular starters anyway. Probably only there in a mentor capacity.

As far as I remember, Juan Smith signed a 3 year extension just last year with the Cheetahs, and yes, John Smit did say in an interview he is looking forward to retiring or so at the end of the year. (He didn't say it as blunt as I wrote it, so don't go thinking "Hy wil nie vir die Bokke speel nie!, hy moet voetsek..."- Continued by further mumblings of a drunken Bull supporter)

As far as I remember, Juan Smith signed a 3 year extension just last year with the Cheetahs, and yes, John Smit did say in an interview he is looking forward to retiring or so at the end of the year. (He didn't say it as blunt as I wrote it, so don't go thinking "Hy wil nie vir die Bokke speel nie!, hy moet voetsek..."- Continued by further mumblings of a drunken Bull supporter)

Juan Smith staying on would be a boost the Cheetahs could certainly use. I would play him at 4, though as the Cheetahs lack in the 2nd row dept but have decent players coming through for the back row:

1 Oosthuizen
2 Strauss
3 Nell
4 Steenkamp
5 Smith (c)
6 Brussow
7 Viljoen
8 Johnson

That is a formidable pack. If they could get a half decent backline together they could be competitive in Super rugby.

For the Chiefs:
Mils and Siva, don't know for the others as it is a young team and some potential AB's.
I also reckon Aled de Malmanche and Hika Eliot will do their best to secure a spot in the AB's line up.

For the Chiefs:
Mils and Siva, don't know for the others as it is a young team and some potential AB's.
I also reckon Aled de Malmanche and Hika Eliot will do their best to secure a spot in the AB's line up.

Tim Nanai-Williams is a great prospect for the Full back/wing position in the current Chiefs squad .... he had a good ITM cup for Counties Manukau. Savenaca Tokula is a centre/wing from Waikato who could also feature strongly in the next few years

... there are also a few from within the franchise region that are in the other New Zealand Super Franchises this year, that could feature for the chiefs in years to come

yeah, I thought it was pretty well accepted Richie would stay in NZ, he might have said as much himself? is his actual contract up after the world cup?

I think Richie McCaw will stick around. He would taint his image if he left.

Would it really? I would have thought that he has done more than enough for the Black jersey and that people would be happy for him to go get paid stupid money.

Would it really? I would have thought that he has done more than enough for the Black jersey and that people would be happy for him to go get paid stupid money.

Obviously people wouldnt hold it against him and he has earned it. But for me it would just really confirm his legend status if he began and ended his career in the same club and the same country. instead of chasing money.

Staying in NZ would probably yeild more money for him in the long run through public speaking, endorcements etc.. He will end up as this generations' Colin Meads, World cup or no.

He can always come back and speak publicly... I don't think going over seas hurt George Gregans or George Smiths rep, they earned it most people realise that your Rugby career can end at any point so you may as well make the most money out of it you can, while alot of players play for pride and fame, alot also play for money *Cough* Sonny Bill, Quade Cooper *Cough*

Aus will no doubt lose:
Quade Cooper to league or overseas.
Stirling Mortlock
Digby Ioane may go overseas
Will Chambers depending on how this season goes with the Reds.
Giteau is goneeeeeee
Benn Robinson will go to NH
Luke Burgess will probably go overseas as Genia is No.1 and Kingi is quickly getting better.
Ryan Cross chances are he will go back to league (Praise the lord)
Robbie Deans he'll either have a new trophy or he'll have an angry mob with pitchforks either way, he'll bail back to the land of the long white cloud.

Altho Deans did a great job with AUS, I'm actually seeing him as the next headcoach of NZ.

Altho Deans did a great job with AUS, I'm actually seeing him as the next headcoach of NZ.

Not sure that that will happen, it looks like Steve Hansen will get the job post RWC ... but you never know :eek:

He can always come back and speak publicly... I don't think going over seas hurt George Gregans or George Smiths rep, they earned it most people realise that your Rugby career can end at any point so you may as well make the most money out of it you can, while alot of players play for pride and fame, alot also play for money *Cough* Sonny Bill, Quade Cooper *Cough*

Aus will no doubt lose:
Quade Cooper to league or overseas.
Stirling Mortlock
Digby Ioane may go overseas
Will Chambers depending on how this season goes with the Reds.
Giteau is goneeeeeee
Benn Robinson will go to NH
Luke Burgess will probably go overseas as Genia is No.1 and Kingi is quickly getting better.
Ryan Cross chances are he will go back to league (Praise the lord)
Robbie Deans he'll either have a new trophy or he'll have an angry mob with pitchforks either way, he'll bail back to the land of the long white cloud.

I dont know it just seems to me like Richie McCaw has a spotless career up until this point. Hes earned the right to chase money but his reputation would be far more impressive if he didn't..

I don' t think Richie would be as dominant in the NH. Good, but not great like he is for the Saders and the ABs.

First of all, the reffing is nowhere near as complacent regarding rucks in the NH.

Second, he'd be targeted every game, and by that I mean there would be a contract on his head.

Finally, I think he's so dominant because he plays in the best franchise in the SH, and the best team in the World. It's the other 14 players who allow him to go from good to great. I don't think he would find a team moulded around him like that in the NH.

Just my opinion though...

Hardly of consequence though, he's already stated he's not interested in leaving New Zealand.

Hardly of consequence though, he's already stated he's not interested in leaving New Zealand.

It is of consequence, because I would bet my shirt that he reached more or less the same conclusions that I did, and decided to stay in NZ.

Latest posts