Power shakes, sports drinks/ nutrition

Amobokoboko

Waikato Junglist
Country Flag
Belgium
Club or Nation
Chiefs
Hi team,

Not sure if I have to post it here (as Rugby Universitad has been left out of the new look).
Lately, most supermarkets in my area are advertising sports drinks, nutrition (power bars) and powder shakes enormously.

I tried gatorade and Aquarius after sport but the sweetness of both drinks made me even more thirsty, hence I drink to much.
So back to water.

Is it worth using those special drinks, power bars and powder shakes?

Thanks.

If you're worried about electrolyte loss (that's what lucozade/powerade etc. harp on about loads) just make yourself a big drink of strong squash and put a pinch of salt in it. Does the exact same job but is 100 times cheaper - know a lot of mountain bikers that do this.
Power bars etc. can be handy, but then when you look at them you're better off just having real food of similar values - again, with mountain biking, instead of buying expensive energy bars just have a flapjack or something similar. It's got the slow release energy from the oats and quick release from the syrup/chocolate/whatever else is in there.

Protein shakes can be useful to get more protein in to your diet if you can't get enough through normal food. It's always better to get your nutrients through actual food, but if you're struggling to fit it all in, then shakes are perfect for supplementing your diet.

Never used Protien shakes with any great results (just got heavier and more knackered) but had to start using recovery (high carb) drinks when I hit my 30's as the usual after game carb load of beer was really hitting my recovery and I was having to skip training. The old trick of squash and a pinch off salt always works and costs less than those isotonic drinks but the best thing is always a balanced diet and plenty of water at game time.

Latest posts