Pre season rugby training

Don't Skip Leg Day

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
I started pre season rugby training last night and although it wasn't too hard a session i know the next weeks sesssion is going to be brutal fitness work.
This year i have improved my squatting and dead lifting loads and am currently doing 3 sets of 5 reps for my squat and deads.

My question really is now we are starting pre season tuesday and thursday with loads of running:

how do you guys still continue with your squats and deads or
do you go lighter weights or
do your legs just get used to the increased work load and suffer through after a while

The reason i asked is i did my squats and deads on monday and then had tuesday rugby training and i was slow and my legs were very tired.
I don't want my rugby training to suffer because of the gym work but i don't want to loose all the strenght i ahve gained pre season.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Switch your focus from strength to power now. You won't be able to add any more strength if you're doing training a couple of times a week.
So basically go a bit lighter and focus on being explosive/moving the weight as fast as possible. Try doing singles/doubles instead of multiple reps.

Don't do it the day before or after, if you've got tuesday training, do a session on saturday or sunday (depending on which day you're playing, if at all).
If you get a fallow week or two, then you can do a heavier strength session then.

TL: DR

If it's seriously impeding your training then don't do it.

Switch your focus from strength to power now. You won't be able to add any more strength if you're doing training a couple of times a week.
So basically go a bit lighter and focus on being explosive/moving the weight as fast as possible. Try doing singles/doubles instead of multiple reps.

Don't do it the day before or after, if you've got tuesday training, do a session on saturday or sunday (depending on which day you're playing, if at all).
If you get a fallow week or two, then you can do a heavier strength session then.

TL: DR

If it's seriously impeding your training then don't do it.

Thanks for the info. Everywhere i read online talked about carrying on strength training into pre season and definately my legs can't take it. I'll try lowering the weight and mybe the reps and focus on power, just hope i don't loose too much strength that i've spent months working on!

Cheers

Latest posts