• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Predictions for Quarter-Final Places

If anybody is math fit JdV is. He effectively skipped the S14, came straight from pre-season to the Lions tests, was a bit rusty but over the course of the Lions/3N got better and better, with arguably his best performance of the comp in the most recent SA game. Fatigue won't be an excuse, he says himself he feels great and can't wait to get onto the pitch.

Munster's poor form is worrying, but it doesn't really matter. We still have Flannery, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Wallace, O'Gara, Earls, Warwick, Dowling, Nick Williams etc. to introduce, and O'Leary has only had a short cameo.

Leinster v Munster in a few weeks at the RDS will be a much better indicator of how we will do this year IMO.

Damn you Munster. That list of players to return is epicly good, hadn't quite put it all together in my head, but wow! It must be nice to be able to say that 6 lions are to return and make a difference, and you actually know they will perform. Wish us Ospreys supporters could say that! Instead we get the likes of Hook, who had a fairly decent Lions tour after being called up, then f**ks around on the pitch for the O's, misses all his kicks and needs a 19 y/o Biggar to come on and steady things!

It's still gonna be tough, and I can understand what Mite was saying about better opposition. Everyone knows that Munster have had horrible groups for the last two years at least, but those 'horrible' teams haven't quite performed, same as in the knock-out stages against the likes of O's last year. I feel, this year many teams, like Northhampton, appear to be building up nicely and should really give Munster a run for their money. Same in every group though really, just Munster are always the team to beat in the HC and Leinster are reigning champions.

I can still see Munster going through, not quite as sure about Leinster now that the Scarlets are improving match on match (unless it's likely two will qualify from group 6, haven't worked those kinda things out yet.)

I really can't bl**dy wait. I'm like a little kid at Christmas.

I for one am scared poopless of Northampton. Gigurty is playing unreal, classy back row and the rest of the oack is strong. Reliable lineout and backs are very dangerous when they click.

Our French friends won the Top 14 last year and we all know that French teams go for a Heineken Cup the year after a Top 14 victory.

Thank God for Treviso. First team to bag an away victory will probably take the pool. Can't wait for the Franklin Gardens match!

The Bath, Stade, Edinburgh, Ulster pool should be a real slugfest. The supposedly top ranke teams underperforming at the moment. Edinburgh playing really good rugby and I'm confident that Ulster can win anything on the days they play well so they're laible to ****** up the group for someone by beating them at the wrong moment then having a complete brainfart against another team.

P.s. Dullonien: Why did you censor the word 'bloody'? Strange stuff altogether. Or am I missing something in the noggin?

I honestly don't know.............

Edit: It might be because I'm a gentle lad at heart and hate swearing. Wait, that can't be f***ing right. Was watching the Ospreys match the other night, 60 min in my g/f jokingly said she should start a swear jar and I had put £1 for every swear. By the end of the match, she'd kept count (only the last 20min mind) and I would have owed her £37. It was a shoker of a match though lol.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Sep 21 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Sep 21 2009, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Think Leinster will do well this year i strongly believe it'll be themselves and Munster that will set standards early on. Leinster will need Hines to have a positive impact like Elsom though (obviously not on same par as Rocky was possessed by something last year.

Think London Irish are not the same class act without D.Armitage too which is massive bonus to Leinster.

Also think we will beat the Saint away just have a sneaky feeling about it due to the boys having the feeling of something to prove.... :bana:[/b]

ideal scenario would be to lose at the RDS then :p nothing worse for Saints than facing a Munster team with a point to prove.
[/b][/quote]

I think regardless of what happens in RDS that Croker still sits painfully inside and a Heineken Cup back in Thomond next may will only ease pain.
Still find it hard to believe that day like don't think even Leinster can believe it. <_<

But Saints better be ready as the they up now with big boys and needless to say gap between H'Cup and Challenge Cup is GIGANTIC.

Another point lads is it just me or does anyone else think French rugby standards within club game has dropped alot this year?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Sep 22 2009, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Sep 21 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Sep 21 2009, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Think Leinster will do well this year i strongly believe it'll be themselves and Munster that will set standards early on. Leinster will need Hines to have a positive impact like Elsom though (obviously not on same par as Rocky was possessed by something last year.

Think London Irish are not the same class act without D.Armitage too which is massive bonus to Leinster.

Also think we will beat the Saint away just have a sneaky feeling about it due to the boys having the feeling of something to prove.... :bana:[/b]

ideal scenario would be to lose at the RDS then :p nothing worse for Saints than facing a Munster team with a point to prove.
[/b][/quote]

I think regardless of what happens in RDS that Croker still sits painfully inside and a Heineken Cup back in Thomond next may will only ease pain.
Still find it hard to believe that day like don't think even Leinster can believe it. <_<

But Saints better be ready as the they up now with big boys and needless to say gap between H'Cup and Challenge Cup is GIGANTIC.

Another point lads is it just me or does anyone else think French rugby standards within club game has dropped alot this year?
[/b][/quote]

No. The big teams are losing games because the weaker teams have got stronger plus they (the bigger teams) were short internationals for the first 2 (or 3?) weeks.

If anything it's got better.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Sep 22 2009, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Sep 22 2009, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Sep 21 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

No. The big teams are losing games because the weaker teams have got stronger plus they (the bigger teams) were short internationals for the first 2 (or 3?) weeks.

If anything it's got better.
[/b][/quote]

Yea I see that the like of Toulon investing but just from watching brief highlights it seems alot of sloppy mistake will be made but still shocked at how bad Stade are going.

The likes of Hugo Southwell were never going to be calibre of Stade although Perpignan still seem to have a fortress down there :huh:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Sep 21 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Munster's poor form is worrying, but it doesn't really matter.[/b]

Was listening to Thorney on Newstalk tonight and he made a good point about the internationals pre-season training. The whole point of this pre-season is to ensure the players are fit, ready and peaking in time for November, NOT September.

Give the provinces record over the past few years you can hardly argue with it to be honest.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Sep 23 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Sep 21 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Munster's poor form is worrying, but it doesn't really matter.[/b]

Was listening to Thorney on Newstalk tonight and he made a good point about the internationals pre-season training. The whole point of this pre-season is to ensure the players are fit, ready and peaking in time for November, NOT September.

Give the provinces record over the past few years you can hardly argue with it to be honest.
[/b][/quote]

Exactly like we know the like of BOD and Paul O'Connell will only will only take game 1 of H'Cup as real start to season and lets not forget the Internationals have been breaking away for camp so they still blending as squads

I think Perpignan will shine this year. They gained experience last season against Leicester and the Ospreys, and they are in great form at the moment. They crushed Clermont 19-3 (3 tries to 0) at home last saturday. They are almost invincible there, and I think they can grab some BP against Munster and Northampton too.

Don't know what to expect of both Stade as they are crappy in the Top 14, but Toulouse is always deadly in the Heineken Cup. Clermont, with an easier group (but not that easy) has a good chance to finally makes the quarter too. 

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stillknox @ Sep 29 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think Perpignan will shine this year. They gained experience last season against Leicester and the Ospreys, and they are in great form at the moment. They crushed Clermont 19-3 (3 tries to 0) at home last saturday. They are almost invincible there, and I think they can grab some BP against Munster and Northampton too.

Don't know what to expect of both Stade as they are crappy in the Top 14, but Toulouse is always deadly in the Heineken Cup. Clermont, with an easier group (but not that easy) has a good chance to finally makes the quarter too. [/b]
How come Munster always get god damn form teams :eek: Still we like the challenge ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Sep 29 2009, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
it's a conspiracy, the world is against Munster![/b]
Ah no just the ERC :D

But still have feeling this could be best H'Cup yet so many teams worthy of winning.
Think the game really just starting to take of as a professional stage after last 13/14 years. B)

And still Connacht like an Sunday team :p

Quin's need to recover some kind of form against Bath this weekend to stand a chance,, Although all the sides in the group have started shakily...

Latest posts