• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Predictions for RLWC 2013

Saints1

Straight Edge
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
St Helens
So... four years in the making the Rugby League World Cup is coming to England.

I've started to get very excited now my tickets have arrived. I will be personally attending the games at Langtree Park for Australia vs Fiji and the final at Old Trafford. But what do you think will happen?

Will Australia get their revenge on New Zealand after the dramatic 2008 final? Will England be able to compete with the superior two teams? Can France or Wales cause an upset? Can Ireland build on their impressive tournament last time around? Will I stop asking such annoying questions?

I personally think it will be Australia vs New Zealand again in the final. They both have a lot more depth than any other nation. But England can, and have, run both of them close.

It's been a long time since we beat England in the northern hemisphere. I think England's best hope is to beat Australia in pool play and then get an easier run to the finals. I think that New Zealand have agreater chance of beating Australia than England but England have a greater chance of beating New Zealand.

Will England be able to compete with the superior two teams?
Absolutely, England at home at this day and age are very good. One of the hardest men in League Sam Burgess and his brothers will be a great addition to the English engine room when they unite throughout the tournament. You got Tompkins whos right up there with Billy Slater. They wont only be able to compete but also beat NZ or Aus.

I think England's best hope is to beat Australia in pool play and then get an easier run to the finals.
Well if England lose their pool play game against Aus, they can take little comfort in knowing that NZ in 2008 lost their pool play game against Aus and then NZ went on to beat them in the final!

I guess that game for England will be like testing the waters so to speak.

I think that New Zealand have agreater chance of beating Australia than England but England have a greater chance of beating New Zealand.

Agreed. Is it styles of play?..Im not sure what it is but I feel the same about your triangle.

Lets not out count out Tonga. I think Tonga is going to be a bigger threat then France or Wales. Tonga are good enough to be playing in the semis and Im expecting them to make it partially because of their thrashing of the Toa Samoa.

My prediction

1. Kiwis
2. Roos
3. England
4. Tonga
5. Toa Samoa
6. Ireland
7. Wales
8. France

I reckon there will be no big surprises. NZ and AUS or ENG should make it to the final easily. This year during the NRL season the big Aussie stars didn't really shine. So I guess AUs and NZ are the two big powerhouses. ENG needs just a good day and they could be there as well.

Personally I'm really looking forward to the first round teams as Samoa, Tonga PNG, Cook Islands, Fiji and hopefully Italy will give some hard physical games and provide plenty of entertainment.

Not sure what to think of the USA but it will not prevent me of enjoying the footie.

1. Kiwis
2. Roos
3. England
4. Tonga
5. Toa Samoa
6. Ireland
7. Wales
8. France

This, this is pretty close in my opinion.
I've only really been following rugby properly for the past 12 months or so, however of course I hope that Ireland place higher.

Absolutely, England at home at this day and age are very good. One of the hardest men in League Sam Burgess and his brothers will be a great addition to the English engine room when they unite throughout the tournament. You got Tompkins whos right up there with Billy Slater. They wont only be able to compete but also beat NZ or Aus.

Well if England lose their pool play game against Aus, they can take little comfort in knowing that NZ in 2008 lost their pool play game against Aus and then NZ went on to beat them in the final!

I guess that game for England will be like testing the waters so to speak.

Agreed. Is it styles of play?..Im not sure what it is but I feel the same about your triangle.

Lets not out count out Tonga. I think Tonga is going to be a bigger threat then France or Wales. Tonga are good enough to be playing in the semis and Im expecting them to make it partially because of their thrashing of the Toa Samoa.

My prediction

1. Kiwis
2. Roos
3. England
4. Tonga
5. Toa Samoa
6. Ireland
7. Wales
8. France

Although England are strong and playing at home I still think NZ should rightfully be favoured to beat them if they do meet up, this is arguably our strongest squad ever, we have a good spine and a forward pack that can match anyones.

I favour Fiji to beat everyone below the top three, they have a good pack led by Civoniceva and Jason Bukuya with the Sim's brothers (Ashton, Tariq and Korbin) and the best backline below the big 3 with Aku Uate, Sisa Waqa, Marika Koroibete, Kev an Wes Naqiama and the Millard bro's Daryl and Ryan. Gee that's an Exciting backline, its a pity Jaryd Hayne is playing for OZ. If Hayne was playing for the Bati id guarantee you they would whip the runner up of pool B, as it is I still think they are odd's on Semi Finalist's again.

Last edited:
Both New Zealand and Australia will pound England in the three quarters and in the halves.

Underestimate Wales at your peril. Been developing quite nicely over the last year. Can see them doing well this year.

Harris is targeting the quarter finals. That sounds about right to me.

Oh I agree QF is the target but could slip into the SF if they play to their potential.

Easily. The fourth semi final slot is very much open.

I can see it going one of two ways.

Aussie dominating and destroying everything to win it - most likely scenario.

NZ getting to the final and pulling off another upset.

NZ squad is a good side, they lose the Anzac test every year but that suits the Aussies. NZ will even things up with time together, being the underdog and getting a gameplan right to spoil the Roos party.

The ANZAC test record is daft but haven't the Kiwis beaten Australia in something like 3 of the last 5 finals they've played in?

Easily. The fourth semi final slot is very much open.

This is one of the things I'm most looking forward to seeing how it all plays out lot's of contendors.

Agree with Rob on Wales side a lot of growth there, and they looked competetive defensively in the last 4N.

I'm not going to underestimate France either, lot's of their players have literrally had years together as part of the Catalan Dragons club so they won't need as much time to gel as a squad like some of the other sides, particularly some of the minnows who've brought in a pile of heritage players to complement their domestic/home grown guys(e.g. U.S.A., Italy)

My picks.(Doing them by pool due to the format)

Pool A.
1. Oz
2. England
3. Fiji
4. Ireland

Pool B

1. New Zealand
2. France
3. Samoa
4. Papua New Guinea

Pool C

1. Tonga
2. Scotland
3. Italy

Pool D

1. Wales
2. Cook Islands
3. U.S.A.

Quarterfinals.(Bolded team wins)

1. Australia vs. Wales
2. France vs. Fiji
3. England vs. Samoa
4. New Zealand vs. Tonga

Semifinals.

1. Australia vs. France
2. New Zealand vs. England (Bit of an emotional pick LOL this would be a cracking game should the pools break this way)

Final.

1. Australia vs. England(or NZ)

Australia to beat England in the final, I really can't see anyone other than Australia winning. They have a side superior to any other in every position, possibly excusing their second row and front row where the Kiwis may have an advantage. England are not to be underestimated, and Tonga have a very powerful squad, should take fourth easily.

Got to agree with Tekadus7, Wales have done really well this year.
Took a loss against the Wolfhounds early on though. ;)

I think Ireland can realistically aim for QF, but there are some really good teams up this year so will soon see.

The Super league always seems to be a high quality competition and with players from Leeds, Warrington, Wigan, Hudderfield and St Helens England should be able to put together an English dream team. I feel pretty up beat and England need to believe in themselves.

Australia to beat England in the final, I really can't see anyone other than Australia winning. They have a side superior to any other in every position, possibly excusing their second row and front row where the Kiwis may have an advantage. England are not to be underestimated, and Tonga have a very powerful squad, should take fourth easily.

I agree they are a quite a good side but the seeding probably prevents them from getting to fourth as they have to play the winner of Pool B who are very likely to be New Zealand. It's the same with Wales, a decent side but will have to play OZ or England in the QF's a very difficult prospect. France or Samoa have a much better chance since they have a much easier draw and I think the winner of that pool game may very well end up going to be 4th.

For me:

1- Kangaroos
2- Kiwis
3- England
4- Tonga or France

Latest posts