Predictions for the 2013-14 season

ratsapprentice

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
So, we are only a week away from the new season and as ever, I feel more excited than I remember feeling last year.
I'm guessing that at this point most people will have some idea of how they think their team/the league will work out this year.
Now's your chance to lay down your rights to future claims of "I told you so"

Here are a couple of mine:

- Harlequins might not be in the top four this year. Last season saw them failing to build upon their premiership winning formula.
Whether teams had worked them out or it was simply that they were out of form/didn't execute, they didn't look anywhere near as threatening as they had previously.
I really cannot see that changing. In fact with the loss of Kohn and Johnston, I can see their pack really struggling at times, particularly throughout the winter.
Their tight 5 really lacks for experience, and even where it is experienced (in Robson and Kennedy) it is lightweight.
Having said that; if Marler, Buchanan, Sinckler, Twomey, Merrick and Matthews can get decent game-time then the club are setting themselves up very nicely for future seasons.
On a side note: Marler looks to have bulked up a little bit in the off-season.

- Bath will be in the top six this year and even if the team isn't that imposing, several of their individual players will be.
They have some really good young (and young-ish) English players with the potential to put themselves into England starting contention.
I think Rob Webber, Dave Attwood, David Wilson and Kyle Eastmond in particular will really show why they should be in England's 23 this Autumn.
Outside of those four there is also Carl Fearns, Matt Garvey, David Sisi, George Ford, Jonathan Joseph and Anthony Watson.
Matt Banahan has been moved back onto the wing, which is clearly his strongest position.
They have also added quality where it was badly needed at 8 with Leroy Houston, who could be very important for them.
Bath have the ability to pick an extremely big pack that does not lack for mobility and an extremely potent backline.
If the management and coaches can get them to play to their potential then Bath could be in with a shout of the top four.
It's still a very big if at this point though.

Last edited:
So, we are only a week away from the new season and as ever, I feel more excited than I remember feeling last year.
I'm guessing that at this point most people will have some idea of how they think their team/the league will work out this year.
Now's your chance to lay down your rights to future claims of "I told you so"

Here are a couple of mine:

- Harlequins might not be in the top four this year. Last season saw them failing to build upon their premiership winning formula.
Whether teams had worked them out or it was simply that they were out of form/didn't execute, they didn't look anywhere near as threatening as they had previously.
I really cannot see that changing. In fact with the loss of Kohn and Johnston, I can see their pack really struggling at times, particularly throughout the winter.
Their tight 5 really lacks for experience, and even where it is experienced (in Robson and Kennedy) it is lightweight.
Having said that; if Marler, Buchanan, Sinckler, Twomey, Merrick and Matthews can get decent game-time, then the club are setting themselves up very nicely for future seasons.
On a side note: Marler looks to have bulked up a little bit in the off-season.

- Bath will be in the top six this year and even if the team isn't that imposing, several of their individual players will be.
They have some really good young (and young-ish) English players with the potential to put themselves into England starting contention.
I think Rob Webber, Dave Attwood, David Wilson and Kyle Eastmond in particular will really show why they should be in England's 23 this Autumn.
Outside of those three there is also Carl Fearns, Matt Garvey, David Sisi, George Ford, Jonathan Joseph and Anthony Watson.
Matt Banahan has been moved back onto the wing, which is clearly his strongest position.
They have also added quality where it was badly needed at 8 with Leroy Houston, who could be very important for them.
Bath have the ability to pick an extremely big pack that does not lack for mobility and an extremely potent backline.
If the management and coaches can get them to play to their potential then Bath could be in with a shout of the top four.
It's still a very big if at this point though.

After looking at the Bath squad i definately thought wow these guys have loads of talent, it think that this season might be a season too soon to get them all to gel together though.

I think we will see

top 3 of - Saints, Tigers, Sarries - All three teams have imropved their squads in some or many ways

Then not too sure about the middle lot - Quins, Exeter, Bath, Gloucester - each ahve good parts about their teams but also have weakness. I'm excited to see who raises their game this year though.

Then - Worcester, Sale, Wasps - All steady but nothing special.

Then relegation candidate - newcastle, London Irish - London Irish look really weak and havent really made any decent signings, i don't know how newcastle will fair but if they carry on with cold wet fridat night games they won't get anywhere about 10.

Thats my guesses.

I think Irish being relegated would be the best thing for the Premiership and for the club itself to be honest, no offence to their fans or the club itself.
I just don't see much of a future for them as a rugby team or as an organisation.

It wouldn't be so great for the England national side however, they're the best club at developing/producing attacking outside backs in England.
On the flip side though i think it might just because of their catchment area of Berkshire/West Home counties, there are so many rugby schools and good ones at that in that area it's pretty incredible.

The area has a huge amount to do with it I think, it's the same reason that Exeter, Harlequins and to a lesser extent Wasps produce so many good players.

I wouldn't be sad to see LI get relegated tbh, the only issue it would cause for me would be that we couldn't have a Twickenham double header again!

Latest posts