Premier Sports & Free Sports on Virgin

bushytop

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Pontypridd
So ever since the premier sports deal was signed I have been keeping an eye on the sports channels to see if the second premier sports channel (mentioned in the reports, as they need a further channel to be able to broadcast every Pro 14 game live) and Free Sports channels get added.

So, although there is still only the one Premier Sports channel (551) it now also occupies the old 'Dave' position of channel 127. Also, where as it was always 'greyed out' as I never subscribed, now I am able to view the content even though I am still yet to subscribe. So either this is a short term trial to encourage Virgin users to subscribe, or Premier Sports has done a deal with Virgin so that if you have a particular package, you get Premier Sports without having to pay the extra subscription (hopefully it's the latter).

Also Free Sports is now up and running on the network, shown on both 130 & 553.

As a side note, I'm thinking that maybe the fact that a Premier is on both 127 & 551, that one of those will 'become' the second specific Premier Sports channel as and when is required.

Last edited:
I think I read that Premier Sports would be free on Virgin until September. Gives us a chance to see what their coverage is like and then consider the monthly £9.99 fee (or full year for £99 if I remember correctly, although no idea if that has to be a one off payment, or if it can be spread over monthly payments, I'd expect the latter).

Good to know, to be fair though even if the coverage was awful I would still subscribe (I know I'm probably in the minority there) but still I think it's a good move to tempt fans who are on the fence.

Think it's excellent I especially like The Pro14 Hour Show of Highlights that's my Match Of The Day

Think it's excellent I especially like The Pro14 Hour Show of Highlights that's my Match Of The Day
There are 3 Premier Sports channels, 1, 2 and free view. Quality of picture on free view is nothing special; I get the opinion they only have a couple of cameras !!!

I have to say after a shakey start the Pro14 hour has grown on me, (barring this past weekend when two guests couldn't make it to the studio).

They are selecting articulate players for the studio segments (no duffers so far really), Eddie O'Sullivan is pretty good and they appear keen to actually provide some strategic insight into the game and help me learn about the sport. The slightly absurd Irish focus has been diluted a bit too.

I'm much preferring my Pro14 coverage this year to what the BBC offered (barring some aspects of BBC Wales who actually took it seriously).

Is Murray Kinsella still on that show? He's an excellent analyst.

Yeah, he is on most weeks. His segments are a little hurried, but hopefully he has an input on the coverage of live games? You understandably don't see any studio sections in the Freesports coverage.

So I praise the channel then they change the Freeview reception in East Scotland and I lose Freesports. But at least I've now got the sewing channel as compensation. Harrumph!

Anyone else had their cooncil telly (Freeview) coverage changed in recent months and lost Freesports?

Incase anyone does experience the above problem Freesports can be watched on the free TVPlayer App. You can only watch live (not on demand) but it's a whole lot better than nothing.

I think PremierSport is really good. I am sure i can watch all my team, Glasgows League games. Just wish Sky and BT was the same price. I have them for the football.

Latest posts