English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Just announced,
Bristol vs Saracens a pretty tasty season opener - especially if Saracens are missing their international contingent

Wasps the first victims of the bye-week - no game in the opening round is a stinker

Back to three televised games a week, so I've cancelled my BT subscription

Is there definitely no Extra coverage? If so that sucks as means no Worcs games on tv till round 6 (Not that many are interested haha)

Hows everyones recruitment been....is everyone happy with their squads or are you missing in a few positions?

Just announced,
Bristol vs Saracens a pretty tasty season opener - especially if Saracens are missing their international contingent

Wasps the first victims of the bye-week - no game in the opening round is a stinker

Back to three televised games a week, so I've cancelled my BT subscription
I'll be keeping mine, but I am surprised that they're not offering the opportunity to buy a package where you can watch all games or all of your club's games. I would buy that.

Hows everyones recruitment been....is everyone happy with their squads or are you missing in a few positions?
I mean.... we signed a hooker when we already have three in the senior squad for next season
and that's it

Losing two tightheads and a loosehead - rumoured (strongly, but not confirmed yet) to be signing a Tighthead and a Loosehead

To be fair, outside of prop, we don't need much recruitment - a speedster for the back 3 would've been nice, but hopefully Denny comes back soon and Aaron Reed can kick on
15 a bit of a concern (Luke James drop in form, Hammersley good but not the most athletic 15 around) but there's academy kids who will hopefully progress once the A League and lower leagues (for loans) are back

I think we've done quite well overall, strengthened all over and added some much needed depth whilst turfing out some deadwood.

Im really happy with our squad. Strongest its been for years...generally competition in every place..and some cracking kids coming through.

We have guile and skill...and some route one monsters like Carl Fearns..

Really positive time to be a falcon i think...so long as they play an attacking style...not retreat into the defensive, box kicking tripe we have seen for years....

I mean.... we signed a hooker when we already have three in the senior squad for next season
and that's it

Losing two tightheads and a loosehead - rumoured (strongly, but not confirmed yet) to be signing a Tighthead and a Loosehead

To be fair, outside of prop, we don't need much recruitment - a speedster for the back 3 would've been nice, but hopefully Denny comes back soon and Aaron Reed can kick on
15 a bit of a concern (Luke James drop in form, Hammersley good but not the most athletic 15 around) but there's academy kids who will hopefully progress once the A League and lower leagues (for loans) are back
Do you really need another two props?

By my reckoning you have Rodd, McIntyre and Harrison at loosehead and Schonert, Oosthuizen and Harper at tighthead. That's better than most!

From a Quins POV, I'm pleased with Tommy Allan and Huw Jones coming in and Scotland-Williamson might be a gamble that pays off, but we're still really short of depth at loosehead, lock and in the back row - potentially even more so if Dombrandt and Kenningham get call-ups for England (there's also a chance we lose Marler if test duty doesn't require a bubble).

Schonert and McIntyre haven't been confirmed yet,

So atm we have:
1. Harrison, Rodd
3. Oostuizen, Harper

(with Oosthuizen currently away with SA - so could potentially be missing for the start of the season, if he makes the TRC squad, and then there's autumn internationals as well)

That said the Sale twitter account obv read my post above because they've just said they're announcing two signings next week, which will presumably be Schonert and McIntyre

By my reckoning you have Rodd, McIntyre and Harrison at loosehead and Schonert, Oosthuizen and Harper at tighthead. That's better than most!

From a Quins POV, I'm pleased with Tommy Allan and Huw Jones coming in and Scotland-Williamson might be a gamble that pays off, but we're still really short of depth at loosehead, lock and in the back row - potentially even more so if Dombrandt and Kenningham get call-ups for England (there's also a chance we lose Marler if test duty doesn't require a bubble).
If Scotland Williamson can be "deconditioned" from NFL which i cant see being an issue, and back to rugby. hes a massive unit...could be a real shrewd signing.

Dombrandt will be in the England squad but i also think Kenningham will be in or around the England squad. Looks a Jones style flanker.

Dombrandt should be in the squad, but I think Kenningham's call-up was more for Eddie to take a close look at a player who really impressed out of nowhere. I don't think he will (or should be) in the squad yet, but if he carries on at the same level of performance, I wouldn't be against it.

Scotland-Williamson is a gamble, but if it pays off, it could be a coup. His injury record was always been pretty poor and I don't know if that has improved in the US. We'll see I guess …

So Tigers POV really happy, interested what Borthwick has planned at lock, have Henderson and Chessum also potentially Martin might get moved.
Montoya and Van Staden potentially in my eyes gives us one of the best front rows and back rows in the league.
We have filled out depth at 10 and centre nicely.
Question marks over Wings, Young Joe Browning is a good prospect there though.

With this new 50/22 rule though I expect more 10 man rugby

Im actually abit worried for Chiefs this season, signed an Irish centre and a NZ prop but know nothing about either tbh, not overly fussed about who we are losing, no one major.

Im worried because we havnt been looking as strong last season but still got to the final yet with this new rule for the ball being held up that takes some of our firepower away, LCD taps and goes, 3 plays go high and target the ball then fall back...goal line drop out. With Sarries being back and Quins style looking good with some decent signings it will be a v tough season at the top end of the table.

On the other hand i wonder how Baxter will evolve our game.

Perhaps, but on the flip side of that, I imagine that 50/22 is seriously sweet music to Baxter's ears.

I'll be very curious to see how Saracens go. The assumption seems to be that they'll pick up where they left off, but I'm not so sure for a few different reasons.

They've retained their core players, but their team will be fairly different to when they were last in the Premiership and they haven't made any major acquisitions.

Alex Sanderson was a central figure there and I think they'll really feel his absence. They didn't really need him in the Championship, but I think they will miss him in the Premiership.

They'll also be missing Farrell, Itoje, Mako, Daly and George for at least the first few games of the season (not sure when Lions players are due back). They have a bye in round 2, but to start away against a full strength Bristol (no Lions absentees) in round 1 followed by Tigers away in round 3 is a tough start. I'm not wholly convinced that the likely replacements for the Lions tourists (probably Manu Vunipola, Barrington, Hunter-Hill, Tompkins and Wolstenholme) are as well equipped pick up the wins they need to start well.

Last edited:
They have quite a few loanees returning too so I don't anticipate too much of a drop off really. But as you say BPM, tough start to the campaign for them

Could see them doing a Leicester (of about a decade ago) - having some dicey moments in the season (especially when the internationals are gone) but ultimately making top 4 at the last minute and probably lifting the trophy

Goode, Loz and Isiekwe will help hold down the fort.
I don't really rate Aled Davies at 9, but Lozowski or Vunipola at 10 with Tompkins and Taylor in the centre and Maitland, Lewington and Goode or Malins is still a more than decent back line.

I think the issue is mainly in the tight five though. When you factor in that Koch is with SA too, they'll be working with their second choice front row and then the drop off from Itoje to Hunter-Hill or Swinson in the second row is considerable.

I might be totally wrong but I think it could be tougher for them than most seem to be predicting.

Latest posts