• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership chiefs draw up plans to take matches around the UK in a bid to grow the league's popularity

LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan)

G.O.A.T
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leicester

IDK I get it on paper but don't see how it works.
Will Sale Sharks get more fans if they play a one off game in liverpool? Doubt it why because Liverpudlians will not want to support a team in manchester.

Rugby needs to get it's head around this really.
Club sports in this country are generally very tribal.

Look at Wasps with Coventry honestly how many Tigers fans in coventry moved to support Wasps when they went to Cov?

If rugby wants to grow the game that way then really their best bet is too have 2 leagues of 20 and potentially create new clubs in places like Liverpool etc.
Other than that just stick to playing a game every weekend on freeview and then put all the games to watch on a cheap deal.
It's the digital age and people will get more invested if they get a chance to see the behind scenes more often and done in a professional manor.

Will Sale Sharks get more fans if they play a one off game in liverpool? Doubt it why because Liverpudlians will not want to support a team in manchester.
In a word: No

We took a game on the road before - had an attendance boost for the game itself (helped by discounted tickets and lots of freebies for local minis clubs) and it had zero impact on regular attendance afterwards

With that said: I like the idea for a novelty - gets some media attention, gets some non-fans through the gates, maybe there's a slight interest boost in the area
I don't think it'd work as a legit long term crowd boosting strategy but if they treated it more like a rugby roadshow, make the games events rather than just a game in a different place, like a whole day out

Something like Exeter vs Quins at Brighton, Sale vs Newcastle at Headingley or Tigers vs Wasps at Villa Park (or considering Tigers links to Norfolk have them vs a London side at Norwich's ground)

Latest posts