Premiership Pre-Season

Discussion in 'Aviva Premiership / LV Cup' started by Boy, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Boy

Boy Guest

Thought it might be an idea to start a thread covering the GP teams' pre-season games, which have started popping up. To get the ball rolling, here's a fixture picked at random...

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. loratadine

loratadine Guest

the scarlets beat northampton 22-14

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Unfortunately I counln't go to that match (as I'm currently stranded in this shithole otherwise known as Skegness), but I was told by a mate who gave me a post match phone call that it was a game of 2 very differnt halves and neither side fielded anything close to a full strength squad.

What I did gather though is that Spencer had a stormer as did Peel - aparently Spencers second try was a run from his own 22, out pacing the whole Newport team and selling the fullback a dumby. But saying that, my mate was a little ****** when he called me and he's know to exagerate a little, so I have to wait until next week before I can find out for myself.

5. Boy

Boy Guest

From Planet Rugby:

6. robbinho

robbinho Guest

Rather unnecessary of Spencer to outpace the entire Newport team as they were playing Llanelli....

7. St. Jamez

St. Jamez Guest

Pretty accurate apart from for Spencers second try he had a support runner so the Llanelli ( :p ) fullback couldn't really do much about it.

The lineout was tragic, as per usual. We must have lost about 3 of our own with only a couple being a safe take from the jumper.
    Vass looked encouraging, although he lost the ball a couple of times trying to offload instead of going to ground.
    Our new winger Akinbui (sp) didn't have the greatest game, I hope he's given another chance to prove himself.

8. Boy

Boy Guest

Bath's second pre-season game saw them beat Overmach Parma, who beat the Dragons to qualify for the Heinken Cup, 61-0 at The Rec. Good stuff so far from Steve Meehan (from what we can judge). At least we're showing our intentions for the coming season.

9. getofmeland

getofmeland Guest

Wow some great performances from Bath, I do hope we have a good season this year...

10. Nice Puma jersey there.

11. loratadine

loratadine Guest

the blues beat worcester comfortably, and the scarlets tucked away glouster

12. Symclaw

Symclaw Guest

it'd be cool if there was a few pre season comps like the inter toto or amsterdam tourn like in football. I havent been able to see any of the pre season games. Maybe if they had tournaments theyd be shown, and theyd get sponsorship. wow im a genius

tho someone else has probably already said this on here

13. I know they're not premiership anymore, but Edinburgh pumped Leeds 37-7 at Murrayfield on Friday night. 6 good tries, plenty attacking from the backs and solid defence. The rain made things an absolute bugger handling wise, but for the 1st game back it was OK.

Sale will prove a far better match on Friday night.

14. St. Jamez

St. Jamez Guest

Because rugby players don't already have enough games to play in a season... :blink:

15. Boy

Boy Guest

Bath beat Plymouth Albion 31-17 today. A much tighter game than our two previous outings, but Meehan experimented a lot with selection. Our backline had an average age of 19, with only Barkley, Davis and Abendanon normally first team squad members.

Bath's final game before the start of the season is against the Dragons at Rodney Parade on Friday night. It's expected that we'll be playing our first XV, which will be interesting to see.

16. Saints started to hit form at the weekend, thrashing Treviso. The best result was how sharp King Carlos looks - it could be a very good season.

17. SmokeyMonkey

SmokeyMonkey Guest

Are you coming down to Newport today then Boy? I'm going, and we're gonna lose pretty badly what with 5-6 first team players out. Just getting in the excuses nice and early ;)

18. Symclaw

Symclaw Guest

yeah fair enough, but i didnt mean any massive comps. just ones 3 or four teams.

19. SmokeyMonkey

SmokeyMonkey Guest

Well the Dragons lost 12 - 3 to Bath at home in a game we shoulda and easily coulda won. It was a classic example of a team not beating us, just scoring more points than us!

20. Edinburgh lost 30-14 to Sale tonight at Edgley Park. According to the report, the score flatters Sale who had a penalty try and we had a player sin binned. Rennie and the beast that is our inside centre, Rob Dewey, scored for us with Paterson converting twice. 3 tries, a penalty try and a couple of penalties. Sounds like it was our own undoing really. Sale are a good side, and we shot ourselves in the foot. I'm confident that we'll have another strong season.

21. stumpers

stumpers Guest

Hi all, Nice win for Bristol yesterday against Cardiff Blues. Hopefully this will bode well for this season.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!