• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership prediction thread 2022/23

Scotty

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Exeter
A few weeks out from the new season what do you think will happen?

Who's going to come out on top? Will Wasps' financial issues affect their performance? Can Tigers keep the ***le or will losing players hinder them? What will the table look like?

General premiership prediction thread so we can see yet again how wrong we were come the end of the season. ;)

T!tle: Saracens
Top 4: Saracens, Tigers, Harlequins, Exeter
Top 6: Gloucester, Northampton

Could see Irish making Top 6 though - and could potentially see Exeter struggle (not sure if they've been found out or just hid a blip last year cause of injuries n absences).
Big question marks over Bath as well - they'll come good eventually, and when they do they've a very talented side, could easily be in the race for the top 6, but could easily be in the race for 13th

Bottom: Worcester - too much disruption, players will have one eye over their shoulders/be looking for the exit door

Something along the lines of:
1. Saracens
2. Leicester
3. Harlequins
4. Exeter
5. Gloucester
6. Northampton
7. London Irish
8. Sale Sharks
9. Bristol
10. Wasps
11. Bath
12. Newcastle
13. Worcester

T!tle: Saracens
Top 4: Saracens, Tigers, Harlequins, Exeter
Top 6: Gloucester, Northampton

Could see Irish making Top 6 though - and could potentially see Exeter struggle (not sure if they've been found out or just hid a blip last year cause of injuries n absences).
Big question marks over Bath as well - they'll come good eventually, and when they do they've a very talented side, could easily be in the race for the top 6, but could easily be in the race for 13th

Bottom: Worcester - too much disruption, players will have one eye over their shoulders/be looking for the exit door

Something along the lines of:
1. Saracens
2. Leicester
3. Harlequins
4. Exeter
5. Gloucester
6. Northampton
7. London Irish
8. Sale Sharks
9. Bristol
10. Wasps
11. Bath
12. Newcastle
13. Worcester
I agree on alot of that, and Sale is a tough one who i really dont know how they will go.

Id say your bottom 4 is accurate.

LIrish i can see doing very well they have alot of young talented players in the likes of Tom Pearson, Will Joseph and Henry Arundell all coming into their second season(first full season) also Signing Josh Basham from Falcons. A young core to build around with Jackson on form last season they could get better as the season goes on.

I really think Tigers will miss Genge and Ford both are leaders but have enough about them to stay top 4, agree Sarries tiitle though.

Chiefs bother me because i know nothing about most of our new signings and worry our best is behind us. Scott Sio was a positive one though. Losing Skinner Hill O Flaherty will hurt us but it all comes down to Baxter and how he and the others set up our gameplan. Last season was the first time in a long time i felt a bit less direction in the gameplan. I think we can get top 4 but wouldnt be surprised if were are lower.

Bris have made a few positive signings in Genge with Sinks could raise both their games, Bradbury is a decent, AJ a great controlling 10 and Ibitoye can create something from nothing, glad to see him back. Bottom half of the table definitely not 6 with the levels of some other clubs.

Not going to go through every team

1. Sarries
2. Tigers(could be lower but enough talent)
3. Quins
4. Lirish(can see them performing very well with more consistency than last season)
5. Chiefs
6. Northampton
7. Bristol
8. Sale Sharks (good signings but big names leaving)
9. Gloucester (settled team but not many signings, rumour of Mercer could change this aswell a Polledri' form on return. Strong season last season but im not sold it will carry)
10. Wasps
11. Bath
12. Newcastle
13. Worcester

Nice to see you are all so optimistic about Quins. Personally, I think top 4 might be beyond us this season. Mostly due to international absences for our key players and a lack of depth in some key areas.

Table:

1. Saracens
2. Tigers
3. Saints
4. Exeter
5. Gloucester
6. Quins
7. Irish
8. Sale
9. Bristol
10. Bath
11. Wasps
12. Newcastle
13. Worcester

TBH anywhere from 3rd to 11th is hard to call.

8th for Sale and 9th for Bristol feel too low, but with Ford out, Sale could be off to a slow start and Bristol seem to have spent too much on players they might only see for a short window with a huge drop off from first to second choice.

Gloucester are a dark horse for the play-offs for me. Skivington seems to be doing a very good job there and they have a solid, settled squad that's unlikely to be troubled too much by test call-ups.

How do we feel about Sarries? We all have them top and guessing ***le favorites, yes?

But how long can they keep it up. Mako George are aging and miss the startof the season, Koch is gone, itoje away for much of the season, Billy is on form but can dip. Goode must be getting on abit now. I think we may start to see a drop off in form of some of the senior players over the next year be it age or minutes played. Cant put them anywhere but top 2 as it stands though and Tizard is a very good signing for them.

I'm tipping Saracens for a few reasons …

Some of their unheralded signings like McFarland and Mawi have worked out very well for them, to the point that there's less of a drop off from first choice to second (arguably McFarland is a first choice already).

Earl and Malins being seemingly out of favour with England helps.

Tizard is an upgrade on Swinson and should be a good foil for Itoje/Isiekwe.

I think we'll be top 4 again. Not sure about some of the teams though, need to have a think.

Saints have quietly developed a really nice and well-balanced squad that is not likely to be impacted too much by test call-ups. Dowson is an unknown quantity as the head honcho, but there's continuity there and I think they'll be strong contenders for the play-offs.

1. Tigers
2. Saracens
3. Quins
4. Irish
5. Saints
6. Falcons
7. Gloucester
8. Wasps
9. Bath
10. Sale
11. Bristol
12. Exeter
13. Worcester

Glad everyone is writing us off...im normally the most critical Falcon fan, but i actually think we will surprise a few this season. I like our squad (nice balance of pace, power, youth and experience) , theyve rejigged the coaching structure a little, and some very positive reports coming out.

I put Falcons in 12th for two reasons. 1) I simply think the other teams have stronger squads. I don't see you being miles adrift, but over a season when depth is tested, you might find it tough. 2) A new coaching set-up might work out really well, it might not. We're yet to find out if Walder is up to the top job.

I mean you did come joint last last season, I'd say it's pretty justified
New coaching staff could go either way, so like a lot of sides there's question marks over how they'll go, but based on everything we know...
I'll always want Falcons to do well, just being realistic about where they're at

I think, in general, it's a pretty tough season to predict - a lot of player movement, a lot of sides having to trim down for the cap so depth won't be there, long international player breaks (which will impact harder because of the lower levels of depth) etc.

Glad everyone is writing us off...im normally the most critical Falcon fan, but i actually think we will surprise a few this season. I like our squad (nice balance of pace, power, youth and experience) , theyve rejigged the coaching structure a little, and some very positive reports coming out.
Where do you put Falcons in the final table? Out of curiosity.

Thing is i agree you do have some good young talent and a decent squad but not sure how well it holds up against others.

Bath also have a new coaching set up and some good young players but ive also put them quite low.

I just think it will take time for Falcons to hit their stride and will struggle as the season goes on.

Id like to see Falcons do well dont get me wrong.

IMO Falcons investment in their squad is all backwards.

All well and good having a dangerous back 3 but reality is
Front Row - outside the 2 Hookers would basically not be starters for pretty much any other team in the league outside Worcester
Locks - aren't bad but they aren't heavy weight either to make up for the pack
Back Row - Chick aside aren't impressive, Basham is a big loss he was looking a quality back row trio with Chick and Collett.
Scrum Half - is extremely weak now Schreuder is gone
Fly Half - Tian Shoeman isn't a 10 to unlock defences for that back 3.
Centre - Moroni great signing but you have now basically 2 International centres who compete for the same spot more than play together.

On paper the squad is really bottom 3 quality. Coaching may change things but no one knows. I understand limited funding but really struggle to see why they invested where they did, and if Worcester survive everything unscathed I see them finishing bottom.

Interesting analysis Leinsterman, one i would normally agree with, but this summer i actually disagree...aside from the lock situation which we are thin.

I think that analysis will have changed by the end of the season.

Where do you put Falcons in the final table? Out of curiosity.

Thing is i agree you do have some good young talent and a decent squad but not sure how well it holds up against others.

Bath also have a new coaching set up and some good young players but ive also put them quite low.

I just think it will take time for Falcons to hit their stride and will struggle as the season goes on.

Id like to see Falcons do well dont get me wrong.
Im going to say 10th this season....maybe even 9th at a push.

IMO Falcons investment in their squad is all backwards.

All well and good having a dangerous back 3 but reality is
Front Row - outside the 2 Hookers would basically not be starters for pretty much any other team in the league outside Worcester
Locks - aren't bad but they aren't heavy weight either to make up for the pack
Back Row - Chick aside aren't impressive, Basham is a big loss he was looking a quality back row trio with Chick and Collett.
Scrum Half - is extremely weak now Schreuder is gone
Fly Half - Tian Shoeman isn't a 10 to unlock defences for that back 3.
Centre - Moroni great signing but you have now basically 2 International centres who compete for the same spot more than play together.

On paper the squad is really bottom 3 quality. Coaching may change things but no one knows. I understand limited funding but really struggle to see why they invested where they did, and if Worcester survive everything unscathed I see them finishing bottom.
A little harsh, but I mostly agree.

Davison would start for quite a few teams IMO and Nordli-Kelemeti is a good young 9 who has so far flown under the radar, but otherwise pretty fair.

Will Guy Pepper get any game time this season? He was tipped as 'the next Tom Curry' but seems to have disappeared?

Latest posts