• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 19/20 - Rd 14

Joe Simmonds is a weird captain choice imo
He doesn't really strike me as a captain either but he's done it a few times now and looking at the rest of the XV, I can't see anyone who I'd have over him.

Between him and Hill for Worcester we're seeing some very young English captains coming through.

Joe Simmonds is a weird captain choice imo
True but who else? I prefer a forward but with Don Armand on the bench i dont mind JSimmonds getting some leadership experience(even if he does still look about 12)

True but who else? I prefer a forward but with Don Armand on the bench i dont mind JSimmonds getting some leadership experience(even if he does still look about 12)
I don't know what the chain of command is at Exeter but I would've thought Hepburn/LCD/Ewers/Simmonds Sr/Slade/Hogg would all be ahead of him

Nick Mullins just said they're going to have crowd noise on the broadcast - audio taken from last year's equivalent fixture

I don't know what the chain of command is at Exeter but I would've thought Hepburn/LCD/Ewers/Simmonds Sr/Slade/Hogg would all be ahead of him
I disagree actually on some of that.

If a back is captain it should be 9 or 10, but in this team where Steeno is retiring and he will be first choice he needs the pressure to aid his development.

As for the forwards you said only one of them id have is SSimmonds, others are class players but not leaders IMO. For me the pack captains would be Yendle Armand Skinner(future contender before injury) or Steeno, so leaders to come off the bench and help Joe out anyway. For me the right choice.

Not a 13 or 15, way to far away from the action and slade has been known to compound errors under pressure.

Just my thoughts

I disagree actually on some of that.

If a back is captain it should be 9 or 10, but in this team where Steeno is retiring and he will be first choice he needs the pressure to aid his development.

As for the forwards you said only one of them id have is SSimmonds, others are class players but not leaders IMO. For me the pack captains would be Yendle Armand Skinner(future contender before injury) or Steeno, so leaders to come off the bench and help Joe out anyway. For me the right choice.

Not a 13 or 15, way to far away from the action and slade has been known to compound errors under pressure.

Just my thoughts
I agree that outside backs shouldn't be captains - they're too far from the ref too much of the time. But I don't like half-backs and captains - they've got enough responsibility as it is, making decisions in the moment. Captaincy decisions are a different kettle of fish.
eg when the SH has the ball and there's a chance for a quick tap and go - he needs to be making that decision, unless his skipper is shoting at him not to - if he stops and second guesses himself, then it's already too late.
If a FH is wondering whether to go for the sticks or the corner, he might may need to hear both sides of the argument. Trying to second guess yourself only leads to confusion.

I like my captains to be in the back 5 of the pack. IC or hooker can also do it.

I agree that outside backs shouldn't be captains - they're too far from the ref too much of the time. But I don't like half-backs and captains - they've got enough responsibility as it is, making decisions in the moment. Captaincy decisions are a different kettle of fish.
eg when the SH has the ball and there's a chance for a quick tap and go - he needs to be making that decision, unless his skipper is shoting at him not to - if he stops and second guesses himself, then it's already too late.
If a FH is wondering whether to go for the sticks or the corner, he might may need to hear both sides of the argument. Trying to second guess yourself only leads to confusion.

I like my captains to be in the back 5 of the pack. IC or hooker can also do it.
Im in agreement with all of that, and have always believed that a forward SHOULD be captain and agree back 5 is the best choice.

My argument was not that a FH or SH should be captain but more no further back should be if it is a back. And it was situational, JSimmonds getting more experience under pressure is the reason even if he is not the long term captain, id be happy with the Simmonds brothers as Co Captains.

God I'm proper buzzing for the season now,
Last Sale game I watched was on a dodgy stream on my phone at 4am in a hotel in Shinjuku after a night on the tiles.

It's gonna have to be good to top that

Last Sale game I watched was on a dodgy stream on my phone at 4am in a hotel in Shinjuku after a night on the tiles.

Getting to the AJ Bell is getting harder and harder.

Im on standby for work and got called this afternoon that i needed to go in at 6 !!! Was fuming. Was buzzing when he called back at half 5 to say i wasnt needed! Cant wait!

Get the game on! Been buzzin for this all week

15's IMO can make good captains.
Robinson <3
Hogg captain's Scotland as well doesn't he?

I only brought it up as we have Gaskell the captaincy very young and I think it hampered his development a bit

Getting to the AJ Bell is getting harder and harder.
Legit, I just sat in a chair for 16hrs, watched movies, and was periodically brought food and booze - way better than sitting on the M6 at rush hour

Robinson <3
Hogg captain's Scotland as well doesn't he?

I only brought it up as we have Gaskell the captaincy very young and I think it hampered his development a bit
I was thinking about Hogg as well but he only joined the club this season and it's also very rare for a player to captain their club side as well as their international side which is why I ruled him out of consideration.

I was thinking about Hogg as well but he only joined the club this season and it's also very rare for a player to captain their club side as well as their international side which is why I ruled him out of consideration.
Fair point
These days it's more of a captaincy unit than an individual player anyway - Dimes said while Ross is our official captain the Currys, Sam James and Faf are all part of the leadership of the side

Kudos to BT for the BLM stories from Monye, Genge and Itoje at the start there. Was worried Craig Doyle was about to do a full monologue about racism for a second.

Latest posts