• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 20/21 - Grand Final

Well here's the thing … it wouldn't be 'back to Oz' because AFAIK, he's never lived there for any extended period of time. He was born in Italy but has spent the significant majority of his life living in England since his dad joined Saracens in 1996.

He's unquestionably a product of the Quins academy and English rugby and has already played all of his age-grade rugby for England, so if anything it would be a 'jump' to Australia rather than vice versa.

I think he's said he 'feels' Australian so it may be that he doesn't want to tie himself to England which is fair enough, but it'll be interesting to see what he does if he's actually given a call up.
Yes, I know that, but as he has stated he feels Australian, wouldn't he have to play in Oz to be eligible for WBs

Yes, I know that, but as he has stated he feels Australian, wouldn't he have to play in Oz to be eligible for WBs
He's signed a fairly long term contract with us and especially after yesterday probably feels even more emotionally connected to the club than you would having been in the academy forever as he has - I'd be surprised if he left anytime soon / if the England money wasn't inventive to stay

Not saying it's the case here, but it is odd when people are adament kids of famous players have to play for the country of their fathers
Saw a lot of people moaning about Umaga being named at 10 for England and how we're poaching him from Samoa
Despite him being born in Halifax, English mom, lived all his life in England
Obviously has Samoan roots, but his dad's from Auckland so you've got to get to Grandparents before he's even eligible for Samoa

I don't recall any major defensive lapses from Green whereas with Daly it was only a matter of time and Malins doesn't inspire huge confidence either. There's also how the individual fits into the team pattern - some players are more suited to the Kevin Keegan style of not worrying too much about defence on the grounds we'll score more (which admittedly is kind of the whole point…).

Quins have been fantastic to watch but definitely rode their luck v Bristol and in another year there'd have been the hard nosed Sarries to contend with. I think they also caught Chiefs at a fairly good time as they look in need of a bit of reinvention.

If they want to be in with a shout of retaining their ***le, they will definitely need to tighten their defence without going all Gustardesque about it.

Also likely to see less of Smith and Dombrandt due to international call ups.
Yes. I'm absolutely delighted with the win, but I certainly didn't expect it. I think most Quins fans feel that we're at the start of an exciting period for this squad, but this triumph has come well ahead of schedule.

Retaining the ***le will be incredibly difficult, but this squad has plenty of potential to keep getting better. I think Allan should prove to be an astute signing that will be critical if Marcus is called up by England as expected.

We're going to need some more reinforcements and I'm hoping that the ***le win and the brand of rugby we're playing will really help to attract new players of the standard we need to stay in the hunt for silverware.

Priorities for me would be a quality replacement for Baldwin, a better understudy for Marler, another lock (although we're rumoured to have signed Christian Scotland-Williamson) and an 8 to cover for Dombrandt's likely call-up.

Not saying it's the case here, but it is odd when people are adament kids of famous players have to play for the country of their fathers
Saw a lot of people moaning about Umaga being named at 10 for England and how we're poaching him from Samoa
Despite him being born in Halifax, English mom, lived all his life in England
Obviously has Samoan roots, but his dad's from Auckland so you've got to get to Grandparents before he's even eligible for Samoa
I can understand the emotional draw of wanting to follow in your dad's footsteps and in the case of Lynagh, his dad being an Australian legend must add an extra element. The Umaga name is a big one, but not because of Mike.

If Louis ends up going to Australia, good luck to him, but as of right now, he's a Quins player under contract so hopefully that doesn't happen any time soon.

I don't recall any major defensive lapses from Green whereas with Daly it was only a matter of time and Malins doesn't inspire huge confidence either. There's also how the individual fits into the team pattern - some players are more suited to the Kevin Keegan style of not worrying too much about defence on the grounds we'll score more (which admittedly is kind of the whole point…).

Quins have been fantastic to watch but definitely rode their luck v Bristol and in another year there'd have been the hard nosed Sarries to contend with. I think they also caught Chiefs at a fairly good time as they look in need of a bit of reinvention.

If they want to be in with a shout of retaining their ***le, they will definitely need to tighten their defence without going all Gustardesque about it.

Also likely to see less of Smith and Dombrandt due to international call ups.
Quins at times definitely looked like a side that had it in them to pull out the performances to win the championship but they do not look like a side that can retain it. I may be proven wrong of course but it feels like they are riding a wave at the moment but that it could fizzle out next year. The likes of Sarries and now Chiefs just feel like they are always a threat even in a bad year.

The interesting thing that Chris Jones said today was that Quins seem to be able to suck teams into forgetting their own style and playing attacking and fast rugby, which Exeter seemed to do slightly. However, Quins at the moment are just better than everybody else at it!

The interesting thing that Chris Jones said today was that Quins seem to be able to suck teams into forgetting their own style and playing attacking and fast rugby, which Exeter seemed to do slightly. However, Quins at the moment are just better than everybody else at it!
Absolutely. And understandable the oppo players want to join in when they see Quins enjoying it so much. Probably ****** the coaches off no end. I think Chiefs players were definitely susceptible to a degree but they may also have backed themselves to pull it off in a 'free-er' game than they generally aim for, and nearly did. I think I might watch it again later if i can avoid the footie. Got over my disappointment at Chiefs losing now because as a spectacle it was brilliant.

Latest posts