• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 21/22 - Rd 6

Yep and it's unlikely to get better for them … they're hosting Sale next round and then have Bristol away (who will probably have recovered their mojo by then).

They'll also be without Sutherland and DvdM too although based upon their contributions so far, that won't make too much difference.

Worcester got tonked last night. *While the game was going on* (20:14) I received an email inviting me to " Enjoy Sunday Lunch at the Brasserie this weekend!" Yes, at Sixways. This shows exactly what Warriors' priorities are.

Worcester have a knack of signing good players and making them worse, as well as releasing average players who go on to perform much better. It could be an uncanny ability to act at just the wrong moment, but I fear it's because the whole club is failing.

I've no idea who thought 'let's sign 20 new players, they'll gel as a team really quickly and we'll be top 6 in no time' but it was quite a naive thought at best.

Worcester got tonked last night. *While the game was going on* (20:14) I received an email inviting me to " Enjoy Sunday Lunch at the Brasserie this weekend!" Yes, at Sixways. This shows exactly what Warriors' priorities are.

Worcester have a knack of signing good players and making them worse, as well as releasing average players who go on to perform much better. It could be an uncanny ability to act at just the wrong moment, but I fear it's because the whole club is failing.

I've no idea who thought 'let's sign 20 new players, they'll gel as a team really quickly and we'll be top 6 in no time' but it was quite a naive thought at best.
I think with the new 20 they replaced a lot of dead wood who needed to go. They were never going to get into a top 6 side overnight but never did I think it would go like this.

I like JT but wonder if it was a bit too much at this early stage of his coaching career to be the HC of a club in dire need of established leadership, not someone just starting out.

The tag line over the summer was "time for change". Apart from player turnover, we've not seen positive change

Don't know what it is about Scottish internationals that they just go through the motions at club level - you'd have thought the national team being the plucky underdogs would give them a bit of heart
Duhan and Sutherland just didn't look arsed yesterday - just not even trying
Richie Gray was the same when he came to us, just turning up for a paycheque
The players know what kind of club they're signing for, shouldn't be a surprise it's not all sunlit uplands

I reckon Duhan will leave at the end of this year - though the French/Japanese club he goes to will need to buy him out cause a relegation clause won't be triggered

Last edited:
I think with the new 20 they replaced a lot of dead wood who needed to go. They were never going to get into a top 6 side overnight but never did I think it would go like this.

I like JT but wonder if it was a bit too much at this early stage of his coaching career to be the HC of a club in dire need of established leadership, not someone just starting out.

The tag line over the summer was "time for change". Apart from player turnover, we've not seen positive change
I fear that a lot of the dead wood has been replaced like-for-like and will be out of the door in the next clearout.

The only change seems to have been the ushering out of the '78 minutes of boredom followed by 2 minutes of sheer terror' era, to be replaced by the 'enjoy watching the opposition play some lovely rugby and score lots of tries' era. While it's run like an events company with a works rugby team attached, it'll never get any better.

Cecil, grave, spinning.

As for the DVDM and Sutherland, I suspect they thought they were signing for Glasgow Warriors, especially DVDM, whose Scottish geography is probably a tad sketchy.

Worcester recruitment is generally shocking.
Sums it all up
Keeps the injury prone expensive Nani let's go of the young talent Nick David
Doesn't offer Weir who was carrying their attack a contract longer than 1 year signs injury prone pretty expensive Owen Williams
Signs Graham Kitchener who looked lightweight in the Tigers pack and Worcester other locks look even more lightweight
Vailanu is a luxury player for teams that can afford to have someone mainly for a impact role
Sutherland misses international breaks and has no real back up
Heinz has no back up

Honestly does Worcester have someone in charge of recuitment?
They missed all the Argentines that became free due to covid you had
Creevy (London Irish)
Alemanno (Gloucester)
Bruni (Vannes)
Miotti (Galsgow)
Santiago Carreras (Gloucester)
Emiliano Boffelli (Gloucester)
Mateo Carreras (Falcons)
Joaquín Tuculet (Toronto)
Matias Moroni (Leicester)
All going for well below market rate

Then you have the countless of south africans like
Eli Snyman (Tigers)
Cyle Brink (Tigers)
JP Du Preez (Sale)
Dylan Smith (Ealing)
etc etc

How many of those players could Worcester have gotten for the price of Nani, DVDM, Sutherland and Owen Williams?
Honestly reckon 6-

I actually thought that some of the transfer business was pretty decent.

Baldwin and Heinz are good signings IMO and Vailanu has the potential to be if he can get his fitness up to scratch.

Ashton, Sutherland and DvdM on the other hand are vanity signings that add very little real value. That money could have been far better spent on players who are there for more then money alone,

I actually thought that some of the transfer business was pretty decent.
Thought the same, pre-season
They're definitely a little weaker in some positions than they'd like but they're playing worse than the sum of their parts

Latest posts