• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership rugby clubs plan to play on artificial pitches

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...clubs-plan-to-play-on-artificial-pitches.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...clubs-plan-to-play-on-artificial-pitches.html

In a move which is bound to anger traditionalists, Premier Rugby, the organisation which represents England's top 12 clubs, is actively considering switching to artificial surfaces to improve rugby as a spectacle.

The proposals are part of a five-year strategy designed to increase club rugby's profile in the build up to the 2015 World Cup which will take place in England.

"We will be taking a hard look at pitches over the summer," confirmed Mark McCafferty, Premier Rugby's chief executive.

"Notwithstanding the fact that it was a particularly hard winter, some of the pitches were not acceptable. Our understanding is that Fifa and the International Rugby Board are working closely to see if the new generation artificial pitches can accommodate both rugby and football.

"We want to ensure consistent surfaces in the hope that they will lead to higher quality games. I don't see it in place for next season but it could happen later."

Rugby union has already made significant moves to remove the more capricious elements from the sport. The roof on the Millennium stadium is closed regularly when Wales play and the Welsh team often trains indoors on an artificial pitch at their Vale of Glamorgan base, as did the British and Irish Lions ahead of their 2005 tour to New Zealand.

Synthetic turf is already in use on the training pitches at Newcastle Falcons and Murrayfield, but it has never previously been considered suitable for competitive matches at the elite end of the game.

However, problems at several Premiership grounds this season, particularly Sale's, has forced Premier Rugby to take action.

"The quality of the product is crucial to us," said McCafferty, who confirmed the experiment where referees are instructed to favour attacking teams, would be continued next season. Quite what traditionalists will make of a sport which is becoming increasingly contrived remains to be seen.

What do they mean when they say synthetic? Like astroturf? Or like real grass/mud, but fake?

If done correctly then I suppose it could be ok, increasing running rugby etc. etc., but will put the players at a disadvantage come international time as they won't be used to muddy ground etc.

One of the more stupid ideas I've heard 'to increase rugby as a spectacle'. Wouldn't be surprised if this article was written as an April Fool.

I see absolutely no problem with this. If it works, then fantastic, we won't have to watch players slipping over after every sideways movement, and we can have some decent games in December and January.
I think that if it's successful, then internationals might start to use it, but that's probably a ways off yet.

Wouldn't artificial pitches increase the amount of injuries. Consider falling awkwardly on grass then consider falling awkwardly on astroturf. Won't end well.

Wouldn't artificial pitches increase the amount of injuries. Consider falling awkwardly on grass then consider falling awkwardly on astroturf. Won't end well.

I think that's why they're checking it. Couldn't have games on the current generation of artificial surface, but if the next one is softer, it could be good.

I think that's why they're checking it. Couldn't have games on the current generation of artificial surface, but if the next one is softer, it could be good.

Soft artificial turf? Isn't that just called grass though

Not quite sure what they mean by this. The Liberty Stadium and new Cardiff City Stadium both have a composite surface with artificial grass mixed in with real grass. It's been hugely successful at the Liberty, where the pitch is always in top notch condition even with two major sporting teams using the pitch. Never heard any complains about increased injuries etc. either. If this is what they mean, then I back it 100%, but not entirely sure about completely synthetic pitches.

Not quite sure what they mean by this. The Liberty Stadium and new Cardiff City Stadium both have a composite surface with artificial grass mixed in with real grass. It's been hugely successful at the Liberty, where the pitch is always in top notch condition even with two major sporting teams using the pitch. Never heard any complains about increased injuries etc. either. If this is what they mean, then I back it 100%, but not entirely sure about completely synthetic pitches.

I was on the Liberty pitch last week! We had our Varsity against Cardiff and the Mens 1st Rugby was played there - Swansea winning 16-12. Huge pitch invasion at the end and I can vouch for you that the pitch is amazing.

Ive played on astro a few times the only Ive played don are different than normal ones. I think they use them in 5 nations in Hong Kong

I was on the Liberty pitch last week! We had our Varsity against Cardiff and the Mens 1st Rugby was played there - Swansea winning 16-12. Huge pitch invasion at the end and I can vouch for you that the pitch is amazing.
My friend works in the liberty, and was working that weekend, apparently the groundskeeper(s?) had a heartattack as there was a football match soon after, and the pitch got torn up to hell

What do they mean when they say synthetic? Like astroturf? Or like real grass/mud, but fake?

If done correctly then I suppose it could be ok, increasing running rugby etc. etc., but will put the players at a disadvantage come international time as they won't be used to muddy ground etc.

yes, like real, but fake :D

Most grounds already have a pitch that's 10-20% synthetic anyway.

Fully synthetic pitches are fine if they're planning on banning scrummaging and mauling.... Oh, wait...

you ca actually scrum on some astropitch they just have to be the right type the normal cheaper one won't do ypu need one witch is design for sports like rugby, football ect. but for professional heaver packs it might not work because they would need more ground to dig into for power if know what i mean.

Latest posts