TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
00-Default-01-WRU_rdax_530x400.jpg

The Welsh Rugby Union has signalled the importance of the Principality Premiership Division by announcing that a representative fixture is to be played against a Georgia international XV next month.
A team of players from amongst all 14 Premiership teams will face one of the emerging powers of the European game at the Brewery Field in Bridgend on March 27(KO 7pm).
The Principality Premiership XV fixture against Georgia is the first major game for a representative team selected from the semi professional division of the game in Wales.
Georgian rugby has come of age in recent years with the senior national squad making a powerful impact in the 2011 Rugby World Cup securing a pool victory against Romania and running Scotland close.
Many of the elite Georgian players are based in France and the team is renowned for its power and physicality.
After the Bridgend game Georgia will travel north to play a fixture against RGC 1404 at the Eirias stadium in Colwyn Bay on Saturday March 31.
The WRU has announced that Simon King of Aberavon has been appointed Head Coach of the Principality Premiership XV with Assistant Coaches Lyndon Lewis from Llandovery (Backs) and Greg Woods of Cross Keys (Forwards).
The importance of the game is reflected in the coaching team with the age grade international experience of King complimented by Lewis who has seen his Llandovery side top the league table and Woods whose team has achieved a semi final place in the British and Irish Cup.
The Principality Premiership Division is currently a WRU priority with plans in place to reform the league from a 14 team structure to 12.
The division has been heralded by the WRU as a key building block within the development pathway which supports the pinnacle of the elite game in Wales.
The RGC 1404 team will be coached by the former Wales tight head prop Chris Horsman with assistant coaches to be appointed from within North Wales.
The Union has decided it is important to retain a north Wales focus in the off-the-field coaching line up to embrace the strides being made in boosting rugby within area now designated as a development region
The WRU Head of Rugby, Joe Lydon, said: â€I am delighted we have been able to secure these landmark fixtures against such strong opposition.
“The Principality Premiership Division is a vital part of the game in Wales and we want to celebrate its significance and success.
“We know the coaches will be able to select a talented and determined team capable of putting on a strong performance against excellent opposition.
“The coaches are all of proven ability so we are confident the team will be ready to give of their best on the night.
“This will be an opportunity for supporters from all the Premiership teams to come together with one voice to show just what this division means to them.
“The North Wales fixture is yet another example of how the WRU is determined to put rugby in that region on the map.
“This is a statement of our intent to recognise the support for the game in the north and engender even more enthusiasm and support for RGC 1404.
“Chris Horsman is a top class coach and he will ensure he selects a team which truly reflects the strength of the game in the north.
“We had fantastic support at Eirias for the recent Wales U20 international against Scotland so we know the fans will turn out to cheer on their team on the 31st​.â€
The Chairman of the Principality Premiership Division clubs, Chris Clarke of Cross Keys, said: â€I am delighted the WRU has decided to form this representative team for such a prestigious fixture.
“It is a great opportunity for Premiership players to prove their quality and step up to representative level rugby.
“It will be a tough call to select the team because of the quality on display week in week out but I know the coaches we have appointed will do a great job.
“I would encourage as many people as possible to come along to the game as I guarantee they will see a match worth watching.
“The recent photograph taken of the senior national squad players in the jerseys of the Premiership Division teams they first played for was great exposure and this fixture adds to that visibility.
“This is important for our supporters and our sponsors so I am really looking forward to a great game on March the 27th​.

WRU Media

well, considering the Georgia side playing in the ENC is largely a B/C team

I expect this will be the Under 18 team they send out

this must be a joke they cant expect our world cup side to show up. I'm not even sure this is true because i usually hear things like this on Georgian forums way before it happens. What teams are these anyway ? I've never heard of them

I thought people were always going on about how we need to give Georgia more games.

The Premiership XV will most likely be an all star team of the best welsh prem players.
RGC 1404 is a club in North Wales.

this must be a joke they cant expect our world cup side to show up. I'm not even sure this is true because i usually hear things like this on Georgian forums way before it happens. What teams are these anyway ? I've never heard of them

A wee question:

Do you think Google translate will be able to give me a decent understanding on what is being said on said forums? I am interested and want to get to know more about Georgian rugby from a fans perspective.

As far as I know 1404 are more of a development team who do not play regular fixtures at Eirias. Most of the team was made up of canadians.

At least it will give me some thing to do in March if it goes ahead.

Yay! I'll finally get to see an international team without going south!

edit: @Saintjay, the Canadians have stopped playing here now IIRC.

I thought people were always going on about how we need to give Georgia more games.

The Premiership XV will most likely be an all star team of the best welsh prem players.

Rygbi Gogledd Cymru 1404 (In Welsh) - Translates to North Wales Rugby 1404 in English. 1404 represents the year that Owain Glyndwr became Prince of Wales. For next year it is going to be re-branded when it enters Division 1 East.

Yay! I'll finally get to see an international team without going south!

edit: @Saintjay, the Canadians have stopped playing here now IIRC.

I'll see you there. I have not heard much from 1404 since the canadians were involved and it all seemed to die a death. I saw a few interviews with them during the WC and they did not seem to like it very much.

games against the lower Tier 1 Nations like Italy, matches which Georgia firstly deserve and could manage to get players released from French clubs

considering they can't get their Top 14/Pro D2 players available for the European Nations Cup, and it now seems sadly the June tour to Canada and USA

they'll NEVER get their French based players released for this match (which is 80% of the squad)

do you think Montpellier are going to let Gorgodze play against a load of the Welsh regions rejects and academy players instead of a Top 14 match

answer = NO WAY

the team Georgia will play probably won't even merit being called the national team

better than nothing init

not sure, in theory it is more games for some young players, but it will be of little relevance to the proper Georgia side

but for the casual fan, they might not know that it's not the proper Georgia side and think less of them if they play a bad performance, which would hurt Georgia's chances of getting matches against the lower Tier 1 nations

A wee question:

Do you think Google translate will be able to give me a decent understanding on what is being said on said forums? I am interested and want to get to know more about Georgian rugby from a fans perspective.

I just tried to use Google translate on Georgian language.... lets just say it was slightly inadequate :/ due to the amount of slang used on the forums the translator goes kinda crazy ... but there are some forums where Georgians post in English... for example Fira-aer one... but you wont hear all the rumors(most of which turn out to be true) because its an official site. If there are any important news i always post it here tho so..

you could translate the news website. if you want Il give you the link for the most poplar one they usually post all the fresh news there.

I'm not looking for any particular insiders scoop or such, I just like to read people's opinions and growth in an improving field that I am interested in. :)

I'll try the one you referred to.

Great, that way the Welsh can play their next senior team and it would be a proper international fixture!

It wont be a proper international as the premiership is majorly semi professional nowadays and the other team is bascially a youth team trying to make the game in the north of the country it will be great for them and for Georgia I feel as it will give both chances to improve the young players they have.

T'was meant to be a funny.

You know, with regards to whom your second senior team is, The players availability and that stuff...

Georgia A squad:

Backs: Irakli Kiasashvili (Lelo), Beka Urjukelashvili (Figeac), Saba Nikolava (Armia), Lexo Gugava (Lelo), Irakli Gegenava (Lelo), Sandro Nijaradze (Gloucester), Irakli Chkhikvadze (Armia), Zura Dzneladze (AIA), Giga Gagoshvili (Armia), Giorgi Jimsheladze (Armia), Giorgi Kacharava (Lelo), Alexander Samkharadze (Armia);

Forwards: Shalva Mamukashvili (Armia), Beka Mekokishvili (Armia), Giorgi Menabdishvili (Grenoble), Irakli Mirtskhulava (Tarbes), Karlen Aseishvili (Aurillac), Levan Chilachava (Toulon), Kote Mikautadze (Toulon), Davit Chitidze (Armia), Mikheil Gachechiladze (Academy), Giorgi Tkhilaishvili (Armia), Givi Berishvili (Lokomotivi), Lasha Tavartkiladze (Armia), George Tkesheliadze (Gloucester), Beka Bitsadze (Armia)

Latest posts