• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pretty Crazy Scenario for the Possible Future of Test Rugby

Scan

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
Okay, this is a pretty long-winded, and probably over-thought thread but please, give it a chance. And remember, it’s only a hypothetical situation.

Right, rugby will obviously never reach the global popularity that soccer has because soccer has the edge due to its headstart at world domination and the simplicity of the game. But, to be fair to the IRB they’re not doing a terrible job at promoting the game in smaller nations what with the expansion of the PNC and the creation of the Emirates Cup of Nations. But I want to give you a scenario here. If rugby’s popularity did rocket around the globe, would it kill off some of the traditional powers?

Okay, consider this:
- The Italian franchises in the PRO 12 continue to get better and better over, say, twenty years. The popularity of rugby in Italy (in the North at least) improves due to the improvement of the national team, which would surely happen if Treviso and Zebre were more competitive. Think about it, is it really unreasonable to think Treviso will be winning PRO 12 ***les in the next twenty years?

- Okay. So now Treviso are winning league ***les and Zebre are, say, Scarlets standard. Rugby is more popular in Italy so they need more franchises. Maybe just one more. Maybe in Rome. Either way, eventually, the Italians get more and more into their rugby until Treviso and Zebre are back home playing in a solely Italian tournament coz the country is in need of even more franchises. The country would be big enough to sustain such a tournament if the interest was there.

- This leads to a Top 14-like tournament which could very likely bring the Azzurri up the standard of France and before you know it, Italy are winning Grand Slams.

- All the while, growth of the game all around Europe due to tournaments in the East (such as Croket66’s idea http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/...ranchise-system-a-solution-for-Eastern-Europe) and Spain & Portugal could very likely lead to the national teams of Romania, Russia, Georgia, Spain and Portugal â€" at the least â€" becoming as good as Italy are in the present day (remember we’re a good 30, 40 years into the future here).

- The 6 Nations would have to succumb to the pressure eventually and allow a promotion-relegation system OR (shock horror) the legendary tournament becomes defunct and a sort of European Championships starts up. Remember, if Romania, Georgia, etc are the new Italys then the likes of Germany, Ukraine and Belgium could be the new ‘best of the rest in Europe’ sides so a properly continent wide tournament would be possible.

Next thing you know, European places (Heineken or Amlin) aren’t guaranteed for EVERY team in the PRO 12, Top 14 and Premiership. There’d have to be qualifiers because the Iberian, Italian and Eastern European league teams need to have equal places. That would give the French and English what they want in the present day because it would put more pressure on Celtic teams to perform in the PRO 12 for Heineken Cup spots.

Scotland could move backwards rapidly because there’s way more teams to show them up in Europe and the fact that they only have two professional franchises would damage them further. Wales and Ireland could struggle too due to their relatively small populations. Look at Scotland, Ireland and Wales in soccer, they have fairly small populations - approx 3m, 4m and 5m respectively â€" so they can’t compete with the big nations with bigger populations like France, Spain, Italy, Portugal. All of which are countries that, in this scenario are competitive rugby nations. It’s really not that unrealistic, is it? Hey, the Netherlands are roughly the same size as the three Celtic nations (in area) but the population is nearer the 16million mark and they are giants of soccer. Obviously, popularity of the sport and the time invested into developing it at a young age plays a part, but it’s clear that if a country has enough interest in a sport, coupled with a big population, it will excel. If rugby shared the popularity it has with soccer in Spain, Italy, Portugal, etc like it does in France we would be left with loads of Frances. How could little old Wales, Scotland and Ireland combat all of them. When it’s only France we can deal with it but if there was that many others……

And here’s the other scary part. How about outside Europe? In this 40 year period, Japan have surely become a force of massive proportions. World Cup contenders even. Maybe other Asian nations have gained an interest. What if rugby became hugely popular in China? Japan would have joined the Rugby Championship by this point. The USA and Canada, too. Correct me if I’m wrong but rugby’s experiencing quite a lot of growth there so, 40-50 years time and they could be brilliant, no? I think we can all agree that if the US weren’t so preoccupied with their own national sports (Basketball, Baseball, American Football, Ice Hockey) they would be world beaters at soccer and rugby.

All this leaves everyone’s favourite second team(s) falling behind. Fiji. Tonga. Samoa. Nations that are to rugby what Brazil is to soccer (in popularity terms) and if it weren’t for their tiny populations and the awkwardness of being made up of loads of little islands they would surely be three of the best teams there is. They can hold on to the position of plucky underdogs that have the respect of the big boys nowadays because of the small pool of competitive nations but if there were even more competitors they could fall way behind in the rankings, even losing there ***les of kings of sevens rugby. It is highly unlikely they would ever find the resources to compete if rugby took on such a global popularity and they would probably end up merging to form a Pacific Islands team, like the West Indies in cricket.
Other areas of growth could be south and east Africa (Kenya, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Namibia), Uruguay, Chile and Brazil. Maybe even the Middle East if some Sheikh started throwing money at the sport.

I’m not trying to say this is definitely what’s going to happen, I’m just saying that the IRB’s ultimate goal for the growth of the game is to have as many nations competing at as high a level as possible. If/when they succeed it could mean a huge shift in the hierarchy of the sport.

Thanks for reading (if you got this far).

It's very hard to predict what's going to happen in the next 30 years. If I was to hazard a guess, by 2040 both France and Argentina will have won a World Cup. Sevens will see exponential growth among non traditional nations and could usurp the XVs game in much the same way that T20 could outgrow test cricket. The Barbarians and Lions will cease to exist. The money trail will lead to North America, Europe and Japan. New Zealand, Australia and South Africa (to a lesser extent) will be forced to abandon their home based players eligible for the national team policy as a result of the money flowing north of the equator. European club rugby will become a Super League instead of the myriad of leagues that exist at present. Dewi Morris and Stuart Barnes will still be employed by Sky.

To predict is a very dodgy thing to do in Rugby, as there are so many factors to consider.

From my point of view, the already strong teams will continue to flourish, that is the Rugby Championship teams and the Six Nations teams.

with the projects and ideas currently in play, the focus is on getting the Tier 2 and 3 nations at a more competitive level with the tier 1 nations.

To do this, the clubs, local tournaments, Sevens and amateur and University sides will need more exposure. South Africa to a larger extent has already started with this idea. We have an annual Varsity Cup, which has a premier league and a second tier league, with promotion and relegation part of the system. The games get TV coverage because it shows on Mondays, and the Universities attend these matches in big numbers. The Club and Amateur games also got a recent boost with more tournaments and exposure.

As for the financial part, South Africa will always play second fiddle to the NH sides because our currency is not as strong as the Euro and the Pound. This will not change very soon, if at all. but the players themselves know what they want, and it's a weigh-up of options, between money and pride for playing for the national team. Plenty of our guys go to Italy, England, France and quite recently Scotland and Ireland. Not all of them go to big teams, but nonetheless, they get more exposure.

for Rugby, to be the global game they want it to be, they are doing whatever they can with the resources they have. Popularity doesn't happen overnight (except if your name is Justin Bieber) and it's a timely process.

For any of us to predict what will happen, at this point will be immature. There are so many plans and projects, so just wait and see what happens, Rugby grew a lot since 1995. Cricket, Soccer (football) and athletics has in comparison grown as much as Rugby. In Cricket, there are still just 12 teams who compete at a constant basis. that's severely inadequate. Football will remain as strong as it is because they have had the upper hand since the dawn of time.

a couple of years ago if you travelled to certain countries they would never have even heard of rugby, now some people know player's names and stats and positions. The Rugby World Cup is one of the most watched tournaments in the world, so there clearly are a sign of improvement.

I don't think the smaller unions will not be able to compete with bigger ones if the structures and interest is there. Just look at NZ's dominance. SA is 2nd and our rugby playing population is not as big as our total population would suggest and though England and France are right up there ITO performance, with the money and numbers they have they should be sharing the spoils between them if numbers was all it came down to.

I can certainly see a more even spread in europe with the likes of the European nations teams and potential european championships every 4 years like soccer in 30 years time.

The pacific islanders team is something I can also see working, if it were to happen tomorrow how long would it be before the rugby championship became the SH 5N's? obviously assuming sonspership & tv deals weren't an issue.

I can certainly see a more even spread in europe with the likes of the European nations teams and potential european championships every 4 years like soccer in 30 years time.

You read my mind) My project:

Rugby European Cup (REC)

Of course, we would like to interact with 6 Nations, I like the option of two levels of European countries - holding the Rugby European Cup (REC). Hold competitions every four years, so as not to interfere with the World Cup (as in soccer). Alternative format such as:

"6 Nations + top 4 teams from the ENC = 10 teams
2 groups by rating IRB (for example at the moment):
A (France, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Russia)
B (England, Wales, Scotland, Georgia, Romania)
+ semi-finals, the match for the 3rd place and the final.
Total of 4 to 6 games, the first few tournaments it would be good to hold in level 2 (Russia, Romania, Spain ..) where there are big stadiums."

Even in the first competitions will involve a team "A"of 6 Nations - it will still be a success for the European rugby.

You read my mind) My project:

Rugby European Cup (REC)

Of course, we would like to interact with 6 Nations, I like the option of two levels of European countries - holding the Rugby European Cup (REC). Hold competitions every four years, so as not to interfere with the World Cup (as in soccer). Alternative format such as:

"6 Nations + top 4 teams from the ENC = 10 teams
2 groups by rating IRB (for example at the moment):
A (France, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Russia)
B (England, Wales, Scotland, Georgia, Romania)
+ semi-finals, the match for the 3rd place and the final.
Total of 4 to 6 games, the first few tournaments it would be good to hold in level 2 (Russia, Romania, Spain ..) where there are big stadiums."

Even in the first competitions will involve a team "A"of 6 Nations - it will still be a success for the European rugby.

Wow! I like it! Only problem would be that it would fill up the schedule too much. That would mean it would go:
Six Nations - Six Nations & Lions Tour - Six Nations & REC - Six Nations & World Cup
Along with the Heineken and Amlin (which would probably need to expand too to allow clubs from ENC nations to join) there would be some serious burn-out for European players.

Why not, once in 4 years (REC2017, REC2021, REC2025...) as the World Cup (only one month). Ideally, of course, in June, instead of the tests, but it is possible in August. For this tournament enough 4 stadiums in 4 cities (many countries in Europe, which can not take the World Cup will be able to REC). I think the first tournaments for greater promotion of rugby is to hold in level 2 (Russia, Romania, Spain, Georgia, ...), and you can then Scotland, Wales, Italy ...

I have the same idea Russo!
Maybe this competition can be played every 4 years, and 6 nations every 2 years?

For exemple :
2014 : 6 Nations
2015 : RWC
2016 : 6 Nations
2017 : Euro Cup
2018 : 6 Nations
2019 : RWC ...

An interesting option Beber (you read Russian sites:D), but more complex. You do not take into account the climate. Play Romania and Georgia in February, a big risk. In Russia is simply not realistic. This works only if the game move in May \ June, but it will not go 6 Nations, so far they are conservative.

There are many so great ideas to develop rugby , but what does it takes to make it real?
-IRB aproval... are the top 10 nations in the will to be "fair" and wide open the scheme of games?
-are some unions willing to share their high incomes?
and my last question would be, is there people of the IRB and regional federations reading this? because all this great ideas are free of charge (isn't it?).

There are many so great ideas to develop rugby , but what does it takes to make it real?
-IRB aproval... are the top 10 nations in the will to be "fair" and wide open the scheme of games?
-are some unions willing to share their high incomes?
and my last question would be, is there people of the IRB and regional federations reading this? because all this great ideas are free of charge (isn't it?).

Yes they are always great ideas to us sitting at our keyboards, we think how can the IRB be so blind? The reality is that any tournament takes time and money. Slow and steady progress is what's required and although it's frustratuing at times for fans and players alike it will happen eventually. There is no closed shop at the "Top" see Italy & Argentina and even France before that. In a perfect world we would have 40-50 highly competative countries playing international tournaments tomorrow, but it just doesn't happen over night. In 10 years time i'd say the landscape will have changed again with the likes of Georgia somehow being incorperated into the 6N or 7N if you will, and we'll be talking about Romania derserving a place or one of the others from the Chasing pack. Italy and Argentina still have a lot of work to do on their respective domestics structures and in some cases (Scotland amoungst others) some of the "developed" nations still have problems.

Rugby is growing and in 20 years will be bigger than it is now (24 team WC isn't a dream IMO) but it has to be nutured as it grows and in some cases it means decisions will be made that will hamper certain countries and benefit others. Some may argue that Italy were brought into the 6N to soon or to late but after a few years the arguement goes away and the vast majority just gets on with it. My personal preference is for global expansion and thankfully the IRB seem to agree. With regard to the top 10 nations being "open and fair" they have poblems of their own in some cases and sometimes they aren't willing to compromise there own progresion to help out others unless it makes sense for them. For example the RFU can't simply plough cash into Georgian rugby because it will be counter productive to English rugby. More games will come to developing nations when it's more attractive to the bigger nations to play there or host them. Having said that I do think more could be done with development teams playing against developing nations to help improve the standard in the short term so that we all get there a bit faster. I personally would pay to see england saxons host georgia or romania in a one off test and although it does happen it should happen more.

It would be great to see Rugby expand to the extent that more sides could realistically beat the top sides, particularly if you could get to the stage where most of the sides attending a RWC, could have a realistic chance of winning it, but I think the real growth will be achieved in the sevens game, with XV's maybe gaining popularity as a spin off.

The main problems to growth, are money, and also the scheduling/crowding of the international calendar

I'm not saying to do a quick change and as the next RWC ends. Actually if we look at it today, we could say that the sport is having a continuos grow, let give a look with the new PNC, the tournament in SA next june/july, the introduction of Argentina to the TRC, the Emirates Cup, the great vibe in the Asia RWC Qualifications and so on.
But I have the idea, that if we something has to grow it has to be from the bottom. For instance, just come up to mi mind the system used by the Int Ice Hockey Federation... To use the ranking table to pull some groups as from the, lets say, 25th position and to make groups of 6 nations in order to make them compete in a round robin.
I mean, this nations even if they are far away to be in a RWC or even to get the chance to play a test match against those over them, they NEED to compete, to play and to see real move on the ranking, cause seriously perhaps there are some nations too high or too low for their quality just due to the geographical position.

Round Robin 1: Chile, Poland, Korea, Hong Kong, Germany, Ukraine.
Round Robin 2: Zimbawe, Morocco, Brazil, Sweden, Kazakhastan, Kenya.
Round Robin 3: Paraguay, Netherlands, Moldova, Malta, Uganda, Madagascar.
... and so on.

If everything keeps working for Madagascar 42 in the ranking list, would be the lowest ranked Nation in a RWC... So if they are in that Scenario why not to share the things learned with the nations around them?

Lots of exciting ideas here.

I could imagine a great Super 15 style competition in North and South America. That would help put Canada and the states over the edge into being really internationally competitive and with that comes lots of money to sink back into rugby. Argentinian players would be playing in Argentina which would help with popularity there.

A Pacific Island team in the 4N would be awesome.

The 6 Nations would have to become a 2 tier competition with promotion/relegation.

Rugby growing in popularity really relies on "your team" winning so more even competitions has to be the way forward. Which is part of the reason why I hate the World Cup (we won it so I can say that now). Im not sure watching the All Blacks beat your countries team by 80 points is really going to encourage many kids to want to play rugby.

A pacific islanders team is something I can really see happening in 20-30 years from now in a similar way to the West Indies in cricket. It's a shame because of tradition etc but 20-30 years from now there just not going to be able to compete as individuals if the likes of Russia, US, canada etc really improve.

A pacific islanders team is something I can really see happening in 20-30 years from now in a similar way to the West Indies in cricket. It's a shame because of tradition etc but 20-30 years from now there just not going to be able to compete as individuals if the likes of Russia, US, canada etc really improve.

Uhm... That already happened...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Islanders_rugby_union_team
350px-Pacific_Islanders_Scotland_rugby.jpg

yes sorry i should have been more clear. I mean instead of the respective nations.

Before the 1980's Sri Lanka didn't even have a national cricket team, then in 1982, they first started playing internationally, and went on a tour of several countries, including NZ, where the came up against a team that was at their very best; GlennTurner, Richard Hadlee, Bruce Edgar, John Wright, Jeff & Martin Crowe, Jeremy Coney, Geoff Howarth, Lance Cairns, Ewen Chatfield, Warren Lees and Martin Snedden (yes, that Martin Snedden). Arguably, the best cricket team NZ has ever had.

The Sri Lankans were smashed in both the ODI series (3-0) and in the Test Series (2-0). In that same year, they also lost ODI's to England (2-1) Pakistan (3-0) and India (3-0) but at the end of the year, they beat the Aussies 2-0 at home.

Only fourteen years later, Sri Lanka won the 1996 Cricket World Cup and six years after that, the 2002 ICC Champions Trophy. They have been consecutive runners up in the 2007 and 2011 Cricket World Cups, and have been runners up in the ICC World Twenty20 in 2009 and 2012. They have consistently been in the top few cricketing nations in the world for the last twenty years

The Sri Lankan cricket team currently holds several world records, including world records for highest team totals in all three forms of the game, Test, ODI and Twenty20.

What is it that the Adidas ad says...."Impossible is nothing"

Latest posts