• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Privatise South Africans Rugby and Fewer Players

Does that mean at the moment there are 150 players per Franchise!!

You guys should remember that we have franchises and then we have unions/clubs.

The privatisation is more aimed at the unions/clubs as the franchises we have are all already privately owned.

The idea is to have the 11 unions all be privatised and the are:

• Blue Bulls
  • Golden Lions
  • Western Province
  • Natal Sharks
  • Free State Cheetahs
  • Boland Rugby
  • Leopards Rugby
  • Pumas Rugby
  • Eastern Province
  • The Valke
  • The Griffons
  • Border
  • SWD
Now you will count more than 11 here, but that is because some of these are sub-unions to others.

The issue is that the big 6 are bringing in the money as well as the Springboks, but since all these unions have an equal share at the table, the funds are equally distributed, and that is what they want to curb.

The plan is to privatise the unions, and have the investors and board of directors make decisions on where funding should be used and how income should be spread.

For example, Border needs more funding towards player development, while a union like Boland would rather use their funding towards player salaries in trying to keep their massive pool of talent in the Boland instead of succumbing to pressure from the big 6.

But the other part of the issue is that this will stop the Government from repeatedly interfering in how the unions operate, and will remove the "red tape" procedures which takes forever to finalise and put in place.

This article should be read with a broader perspective. It's basically a pre-emptive strike from investors on the government, stating that they are willing to put up a fight for Rugby in South Africa and will be looking into ways to get rid of the governmental issues surrounding unions.

I think the timing is also perfect, especially with this whole Bosassa case going one, showing just how corrupt officials are and how they spent money like it was nothing.

I'm a bit of a commie myself but that said, when the existing structures have proven utterly incapable of managing the unions efficiently it's time for a change.
Bring on the Lizard people, anything is better than our current mess.

Maybe it will be similar to the T20 Global League.

They have 6 franchises not based in the traditional cities, one is based in Boland.

Definitively think that the Pumas will go up North next year and will be better for being private.

Maybe it will be similar to the T20 Global League.

They have 6 franchises not based in the traditional cities, one is based in Boland.

Definitively think that the Pumas will go up North next year and will be better for being private.

If the Pumas go North from where they are now, they'll end up in Zimbabwe...

The thing is that the plan is basically to buy out the Government's shares in the unions, have the unions privatised, and let the unions themselves sort out their financial issues, and decide on the contributions they want to bring to the table with SARU.

I think the teams will geographically stay where they are, as there isn't really other stadiums freely available to use, and most of them already share a stadium with a soccer team, to share the expenses, even the Bulls are doing that now with regard to Loftus Versfeld.

The Pumas have a state-of-the-art stadium which was built for the 2010 Fifa World Cup, and has since been used for many events and even hosted some Springbok matches. In the past they used the Witbank Stadium, but this new stadium is far superior with regards to infrastructure and facilities, and is also in a much bigger town than Witbank.

By North I meant to the Pro14 with the Kings and Cheetahs

By North I meant to the Pro14 with the Kings and Cheetahs

I think the Pro 14 will want them to go up in pairs. Pumas will need a partner to go up with.

Otherwise end up with uneven conferences. I guess it will be with the Griquas.

nope, not gonna happen, too far apart geographically.
SA Rugby forked out millions to get the Cheetahs and Kings into that competition, I think there is zero chance to get smaller unions into international competitions

SA Rugby forked out millions to get the Cheetahs and Kings into that competition, I think there is zero chance to get smaller unions into international competitions
Yea i feel the same, there has to be a financial miracle at those unions for them to go to the pro 14. It would be nice but we wouldnt want them to just go up north so that the Europan scouts can more easliy poach from a financially defensless union, and not to mention if they manage to commercially succesfull and get on par with a SR Franchise then it might harm our big 4.

So its a tough one, if it helps more sa players stay in sa then yes but if its just gonna dilute oor pool and we still lose players to european teams then its a bad move overall.

Well there were talks that the Pumas and the Griquas might join the Anglo-Welsh Cup, but AFAIK that is not going to happen anymore.

The issue is that the Pumas and the Griquas will need to be privatised first in order to have a sufficient bank balance, to fund such a touring venture.

Latest posts