• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro 12: Round 22

Thought Mitrea had a decent game, speaking of refs.

Wished we'd had Connacht for the semi instead of Leinster, but oi vey.

I thought the Ulster game was great today. Ref was good and both teams actually attacked.

But what about a League Leaders Shield type thing for the Pro 12? Especially if Connacht had top the league today.

I thought the Ulster game was great today. Ref was good and both teams actually attacked.

But what about a League Leaders Shield type thing for the Pro 12? Especially if Connacht had top the league today.

That was mentioned at start of season. Especially now as realistically first means nothing. Technically the team that finished 4th could get home final in a way.

Just read that the Italian Chief has called for a third Rome based Italian team to be included in the Pro 12. While I'm as big a fan of nilling **** rugby teams that will never improve, will be badly supported and badly funded as the next guy, this is definitely not the 'revamp' the Pro 12 needs. I'd even rather putting 40 on London Welsh or London Scottish because at least they have the potential to improve in the league long-term. If we want to be doing anything it's kicking at least one Italian side to the curb.

I don't think they're anywhere near the depth for 3 teams anytime soon, but the moment they are, targeting Rome or another big city would be a super obvious move.

I don't think they're anywhere near the depth for 3 teams anytime soon, but the moment they are, targeting Rome or another big city would be a super obvious move.
Well rugby isn't really popular for them outside the Po Alley. They would go nowhere without serious cash

Then target Milan. Or tell the Italians to show them the money for the push to Rome.

I'm not saying it will be easy, but gaining genuine interest in one of Italy's big cities would be a huge boost to the Pro 12.

I think if they want a team in Rome they should move one of their existing teams there and not burden us with another one of their deadweight bottom feeding teams. I'd way rather see a Georgian team join the competition.

No new teams unless they'll bring more interest to the league pls. The Italian sides attract the worst attendances both home and away and considering a 14 team league would require a conference system and one or two less home games they'd need to be sure of big attendances.

The only addition I'd consider right now is South African sides if they start bellyaching again any time soon. The pro 12 is doing all it can for Italian rugby, if they want to move a team to Rome or Milan let them do it but they don't have the means, the heart, nor the gumption for a third team.

I'm talking about this as a long term project, not something to happen tomorrow. Obviously a new Italian team tomorrow is absurd, but since it's not going to happen, I'm looking at the possibilities.

I do feel people are being a little short sighted about the Italians and ignoring the extent to which charging the Italian sides for access/brinkmanship over this has hurt them.

But yes, I am slightly puzzled they're not looking at moving an existing team.

Latest posts