1. Callum Black
2. Rory Best (captain)
3. Ricky Lutton
4. Peter Browne
5. Franco van der Merwe
6. Iain Henderson
7. Chris Henry
8. Sean Reidy

IMO weather could decide it. Currently the forecast is for a large band of rain to slide up to the west of Dublin - passing beyond the pale. A dry day could see us do it with our (muck) savage backs. A wet day and you'd favour the jackeen scrum to do serious damage IMO.

Teams named for the OarDeeEss

15. Isa Nacewa (captain)
14. Dave Kearney
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Ben Te’o
11. Luke Fitzgerald
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Eoin Reddan
1. Jack McGrath
2. Richardt Strauss
3. Mike Ross
4. Devin Toner
5. Mick Kearney
6. Rhys Ruddock
7. Jordi Murphy
8. Jamie Heaslip

15. Jared Payne
14. Andrew Trimble
13. Luke Marshall
12. Stuart McCloskey
11. Craig Gilroy
10. Paddy Jackson
9. Ruan Pienaar
1. Callum Black
2. Rory Best (captain)
3. Ricky Lutton
4. Peter Browne
5. Franco van der Merwe
6. Iain Henderson
7. Chris Henry
8. Sean Reidy

IMO weather could decide it. Currently the forecast is for a large band of rain to slide up to the west of Dublin - passing beyond the pale. A dry day could see us do it with our (muck) savage backs. A wet day and you'd favour the jackeen scrum to do serious damage IMO.

I really wish we still had John Afoa... Lutton's ok, at best, and Leinster have a serious pack, huge strength there in the tight. Kyle McCall always provides a great addition from the bench mind :)

I haven't been calling 'em Champions Elect for no reason!! Few better clubs in world rugby when it comes to knockout rugby!

Heaslip-Reddan-Sexton looked 4 years younger today too, exciting times to be a Leinster fan!!

Rory McIlroy, you were born 50km too far north!!

I haven't been calling 'em Champions Elect for no reason!! Few better clubs in world rugby when it comes to knockout rugby!

Heaslip-Reddan-Sexton looked 4 years younger today too, exciting times to be a Leinster fan!!

Rory McIlroy, you were born 50km too far north!!

While you were right it was still a mixed performance from Leinster. Certainly an improvement but i don't think they're back to best or anywhere near it. Ulster didnt turn up either. Must say though Ben Te'o will be missed next year. He buys alot of space for others.
Also I'dmention Jordi Murphy. I'm his biggest critic but he'd huge game and drove McCloskey back a few times which is no mean feat. Made big tackle count I'd say

Last edited:
While you were right it was still a mixed performance from Leinster. Certainly an improvement but i don't think they're back to best or anywhere near it. Ulster didnt turn up either. Must say though Ben Te'o will be missed next year. He buys alot of space for others.
Also I'dmention Jordi Murphy. I'm his biggest critic but he'd huge game and drove McCloskey back a few times which is no mean feat. Made big tackle count I'd say
You can excuse my drunken rumblings I'm sure! Nowhere near back to their best I'd agree but that was a big game where they completely choked Ulster out of it when they had to and were more clinical than we'd seen all season. The European rugby landscape has changed in eight years insofar as it takes longer than 12 months to build a contending side for the ECC but Cullen is taking huge steps in the right direction. The similarities between this season and 2008 is striking, very lacklustre at times but Leinster are grinding out wins while playing average and matching them with some very good displays.

Being top seeds and getting Henshaw in will see this side to the semi's of Europe next year, I don't see them beating a good Sarries, Racing or Toulon side away from home but this season has been fruitful for Leinster for the foreseeable future, regardless of next week's result.

I thought it was a damn good game yesterday. Felt Ulster would nick it when they pulled back within 2 points at half time. It's now 5 of the last 6 season's where Ulster have been beaten in playoffs by Leinster. Questions must be asked as to why they can't get over the hump. Their tight five with one notable exception isn't good enough. Improve there whether it be personnel or coaching an the rest of the team are good enough to win trophies.

Happy that Garry Ringrose, Luke McGrath, Ross Molony, Jack Conan, Mick Kearney, Tadhg Furlong and Peter Dooley have now added the experience of winning a big playoff game against a good team. It'll stand to them as their careers progress. Ringrose, Kearney and Furlong played really well.

Last edited:
Ulster's story is the same as ever. The pack is not strong enough and the only way this will change is if about 4 young forwards become about as good as Rob Herring if not better. We can't recruit our way out of it really and if we don't have the athletes to begin with, we can't coach our way out of it. Although you've got to wonder whether Clarke is the right guy for what we do have. The four most likely forwards to step up, I guess, are McCall, Warwick, AOC, and Dow. See them doing it? Me neither.

That said, what killed us was giving the game away in the first 15, and the guys who gave it away were the backs. I think to a certain extent there's a pressure on the backs because it's up to them to win it and I know we have the talent there, but discredit where discredit is due.

Finally - I don't think Ulster have faced Leinster in the play offs at Ravers. The stats on home wins in the Pro 12 play-offs are merciless. If Ulster are serious about winning the Pro 12, then we need to finish top 2, not limp into the top 4. And that means pack depth, which takes me back to the first paragraph. Do we win that game in Belfast? Maybe.

Connacht through to the final having beaten champions Glasgow. Hell of an achievement.

They've developed a real steel and no disrespect to Leinster but a Connacht win in final would really boost the league and the standard I feel.
I do fear for Connacht next year though as they're loosing some vital guys and hopefully can keep the momentum going.

No excuses, better team won.

Its quite clear our entire pack is merely "average" or "good" with one exception. You can't keep choking up on big days and have the finger pointed elsewhere.
Furthermore, both our half backs were involved in some crucial loose play that we got punished for - you can't do that and win at the top levels.
McCloskey has been reduced to, or reduced himself to, a younger version of James Downey. Most dissatisfying to see.
Trimble got badly done by Luke Fitzgerald a number of times and most of the time Gilroy got the ball did a Zebo step and prompty got put on his arse.

Ulster may eventually limp to a Pro12 ***le in the next year or two - but it will signify nothing in terms of an era of domination. We'll need the next generation of players to come through to do that and the academy right now is crap.

- - - Updated - - -

Good... no, great to see Connacht win and hope they go on and win the final now.

Amiga Ulsters biggest problem is mid-season. They need to be more consistent to earn a home playoff. Agreed their pack needs improvement. Rory is declining slightly but still plays a role but it is a weak overall front 5.

They need to be more consistent to earn a home playoff.

A serious outfit wouldn't have a problem dispatching the current Leinster team in the RDS.

We're decent. Good at times. But not great.

Rory's OK. When the heat comes on though the mistakes stack up. The one exception in the pack is not Best.

A serious outfit wouldn't have a problem dispatching the current Leinster team in the RDS.

We're decent. Good at times. But not great.

Rory's OK. When the heat comes on though the mistakes stack up. The one exception in the pack is not Best.

Oh I know the exception your on about is in backrow well thats his best spot but as I said when ye hit form Ulster are good but they need to be consistent through the year and earn home semi. The front 5 was poor as a unit and on my 1st point the depth in Ulster forwards is poor. Ye have a conveyor belt of backs to be proud of vut up in that front 5 ye are as bad as Munster and thats saying something. I think 9 is going to become big issue too in next 12 months

Latest posts