• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro 14 Semi-Finals

Shocking game from Munster. Hanrahan had no bottle when it mattered. Leinster were there for the taking.

I like JJ but he does seem to have a habit of missing big kicks. Also struggled to get good metres when kicking for touch

I wouldn't blame JJ, the missed kicks were poor (especially the second) but Munster as a whole weren't great. No creativity in attack. Leinster didn't exactly revolutionise back play either but didn't need to. Thought Doris was excellent at 6 (wasn't sold on him there before tonight), and that Connors was good too. Wouldn't have picked them as starting flankers at the start of the season but they're doing well there.

Overall I thought we were just better in most areas, we even edged the lineout, which looked our main weakness before the game. Baird looks like a genuinely brilliant player.

Overall, not a classic or a brilliant performance but I'd take it in a heartbeat. I thought we just had better players across the tight five, both on paper and in practice, and that that made the difference. Toland whinging about injuries at the end is just silly considering Leinster were missing the two best tight five players in the country.

Seriously worrying for Munster, deja vu for them. Yet another season of stagnation. They probably had a better back three out tonight but that's pointless if they never get the ball. A genuine attacking game is yet to materialise, young players are still not being fully backed and semi finals are still the limit. No trophies since 2011 is woeful for a club of their stature. Anything but a big game team as well with 10 semi losses and 2 final losses in the last 10 years. Van Graan needs results next season surely. Time to seriously look at starting Casey as well, Murray was poor.

From a Leinster perspective, we weren't amazing. We did enough, and that performance will probably be enought next week but we'll need more for Saracens. Fardy's form is worrying, a game against Edinburgh is made for him but if Ulster win I'd seriously consider starting Baird. Sexton was brilliant, barring the England game he's actually had an excellent season. Keenan didn't look inexperienced at all, if anything he was one of the best backs on the pitch. If Larmour's out I'd start him at 15 next week.

Last edited:
Half Time - Edinburgh 5 Ulster 0

Only one score, but it was a competitive first half.

Last edited:
Leinster can't be getting worried looking at this

How did Edinburgh not put us away in the first half

Good to see some fight in us now though

Ulster wins 22-19. Wow!

What a comeback. I really enjoyed that one. :cool:

Last edited:
My poor heart watching that
Feel sorry for Edinburgh I feel they let us back in but well done to the guys for digging deep

Now just for the traditional loss to Leinster in the final !

I just streamed the Leinster v Munster match on ESPN+. No offense to Leinster and Munster fans but that was a real snoozefest. I must have dozed off half a dozen times. I hope next weekend's Pro14 final is more exciting. I'm sure Leinster will be favored, and since I don't have a dog in the fight (old expression) I hope the underdog wins. Go Ulster!

Last edited:
I just streamed the Leinster v Munster match on ESPN+. No offense to Leinster and Munster fans but that was a real snoozefest. I must have dozed off half a dozen times. I hope next weekend's Pro14 final is more exciting. I'm sure Leinster will be favored, and since I don't have a dog in the fight (old expression) I hope the underdog wins. Go Ulster!
I watched this too, straight after the north south game. The north team were basically a bunch of players who had only spent 5 days together. I expected more from two well oiled irish machines. both teams were good on defence and at getting turnovers (interesting as. I've always seen the Irish as the kings of preventing the other teams from getting turnovers). But I would have liked some better quality on attack.

There was certainly a huge amount of organisation from both teams but what a striking difference between hemispheres it seemed to Demonstrate. It was the first northern hemisphere Club game I've seen this year And was looking forward to watching some more. Now I'm not so sure, as it was of limited entertainment for a neutral who didn't even know Of most of the players. I enjoyed it, but my time is limited so need to spend it wisely.

What did northern hemisphere fans think? Was it a typical northern hemisphere game? Was it exciting?

I like watching the different tactics, Don't get me wrong, it might have just been that I kept feeling sad that James Lowe didn't have mckenzie and alb with him, after watching His old mates in the north team.

I also suspect I need more practice identifying the nuances in tactics employed in games like this where it is highly organised, players are more homogenous, and defences are very good.

Last edited:
Nah, you're right, terrible game.

I watched this too, straight after the north south game. The north team were basically a bunch of players who had only spent 5 days together. I expected more from two well oiled irish machines. both teams were good on defence and at getting turnovers (interesting as. I've always seen the Irish as the kings of preventing the other teams from getting turnovers). But I would have liked some better quality on attack.

There was certainly a huge amount of organisation from both teams but what a striking difference between hemispheres it seemed to Demonstrate. It was the first northern hemisphere Club game I've seen this year And was looking forward to watching some more. Now I'm not so sure, as it was of limited entertainment for a neutral who didn't even know Of most of the players. I enjoyed it, but my time is limited so need to spend it wisely.

What did northern hemisphere fans think? Was it a typical northern hemisphere game? Was it exciting?

I like watching the different tactics, Don't get me wrong, it might have just been that I kept feeling sad that James Lowe didn't have mckenzie and alb with him, after watching His old mates in the north team.

I also suspect I need more practice identifying the nuances in tactics employed in games like this where it is highly organised, players are more homogenous, and defences are very good.

You're comparing an exhibition game to a semi final between two of the biggest rivals in club rugby, they're never going to be in any way similar. Leinster and Munster played two weeks ago and both teams scored three tries in an entertaining game that had high quality offence and slightly rusty defence. Munster definitely tightened up and gave absolutely no counter attacking opportunities which forced Leinster into trying to build phases and score that way, which is something they're usually very capable of but couldn't really get going on Saturday. (a lot of credit goes to Munster there)

If your question is really whether this is the best the NH has to offer, obviously not. Was it a high standard game? No, it was two teams who know each other intimately with one absolutely dominant for a few years now shadowing each other in a semi final, the only chance that game ever had a chance of being exciting was Munster pulling off an upset.

I'd suggest the Top 14 and Heineken Cup for good NH rugby in the next few weeks, maybe the premiership but it is a bit unbalanced with Sarries in there with the best team but already relegated and next week's pro 14 final will be a one sided Leinster win against another team they know extremely well and are totally dominant over.

Lads we were well beaten by a better team Friday. Difference in class at 10 told. Not blaming JJ but as was pointed by Jerry Flannery recently you need 8/9 regular international to challenge for honours we had Friday - Murray, POM, CJ, Earls, Conway and DDA.

We had no issue getting to the 22 but Leinster absorbed and do what good teams do. Took chances.

Watching Ulster game showed me more why we will miss Alby. Cooney came off and I think that was winning for Ulster as some players just ooze class. Madigan, while I've always been up and down on him as a 10, was always a world class goal kicker.

We need to have a big few weeks now of getting lads in. Healy or Crowley definitely needs to play as does Ahearne and Jack O'Sullivan.
15 will be interesting too with Mike Haley and Matt Gallagher coming back - Shane Daly has been 1 guy who has came out of the last 3 weeks with huge credit.

I expect Leinster to have another major spa attack in few months as facts are there is far too many backrowers of a high calibre to keep them all happy.

Latest posts