• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro 16 TV Rights

Redman7

Academy Player
I saw an article saying that Sky Sports are favourites to win the rights(could of swore it was Walesonline but can't find it). I assume this if for UK and Ireland as it seems Eir Sports will cease to exist. I think this is a good move for the league to have one company for the 4 English speaking countries. Also think its great as its a mainstream channel and casual fans who follow the the football may turn on a rugby game every now and again. I hope they have a good highlights show which they didn't have the last time. The article also mentioned S4C, so I assume that mean means TG4 aswell and at least some free view games.

Sky and BT both interested. Sky favourites and looking to reboot their rugby content supposedly.

@The Alpha Bro has shown RTE for Ireland and linked a combo with TG4 there where TG4 will show maybe 70% and RTE 30% but don't think they'll show any games not involving provinces.

I'd have mix feelings with RTE getting the rights. Would be great if I didn't have to pay and great exposure for the game and particularly the league. However I remember very well how they used to put down the league when they last had it. Especially the bald presenter, can't remeber his name. Thought their coverage in general was poor and got an impression they'd rather be doing something else. Also it would be very irish centric. Irish pundits talking about irish teams and pretty much ignoring the other teams. At least that's how it used to be. I'd prefer sky for this reason, a broad range of pundits focusing on all teams equally so I can get to know the other teams just as well.

Latest posts