• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

PRO Rugby North America (Proposed kickoff April 2016)

Yankee_Doodle

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
United States
Not sure how much interest there is in North American rugby on this corner of the internet, but I thought I'd share some details and I'm hoping somebody else might have more information than I do.

Cities:
  1. San Diego, CA - Torero Stadium
  2. Sacramento, CA - Bonney Field
  3. San Francisco, CA - Boxer Stadium
  4. Columbus, OH - Memorial Park
  5. Denver, CO - Infinity Stadium

Notable Players
  • Orene Ai’i, San Francisco
  • Phil Mackenzie, San Diego
  • Pedrie Wannenburg, Denver
  • Mirco Bergamasco, Sacramento

More details:

That's all I have for now. Anybody with any more information is welcome to share. I've sent a message out to the league to see if I can squeeze any more details out...we'll see :D

* Link courtesy of Bee

Last edited:
There was a thread about this a while back.....? Maybe search around, you might find some stuff on it there?

Pro League wreck my nerves with their unprofessional information policy. League starts in three months and we know almost nothing. I'd be interested, if they'd stick to the "Pro" in their name.

It's likely to be only five teams in the first year.

We wait for more definitions.

Last edited:
By now just californian teams are confirmed, maybe they could change the name to UnPro Californian Rugby Championship, I totally agree with Bee, everything seems very unprofessional and made in a rush. I hope it turns out okay, but I wouldn´t bet on that

Maybe not the right thread, but it's about pro rugby IN America sooo....

http://www.salesharks.com/news/3261.php#.VrnIQ_mLTIV
Sale Sharks are running rugby camps in the USA after partnering with a company over there.

Very interesting - our grassroots/community coaching set up has won numerous awards, and they were also sent by PRL to South America (Brazil, maybe?) to drum up interest in the sport pre-Olympics, so they should do well out in the USA.

Hell, maybe we'll be able to steal the next Samu Manoa away :p

According to Pro Rugby page on facebook, Ohio will host the fourth team.

´We are happy to announce Ohio as our fourth team for PRO Rugby's upcoming inaugural season. Ohio will play its matches in the city of Obetz. We thank the City of Obetz for their help in making a team in Ohio possible. We are excited about building the stadium experience and hopefully this model will allow for expansion in other areas of the country that do not have existing venues that fit the rugby match criteria`

What I've read is that just one (Ohio) will be east of the Mississippi. Probably Denver for the last one.

What I've read is that just one (Ohio) will be east of the Mississippi. Probably Denver for the last one.

There's no reason Denver shouldn't get a team. They already have a great stadium in Glendale and they have a great talent pool between the Gentlemen of Aspen, Denver Barbarians, and Glendale Raptors.

...Yep.... Rugby shirts made by a cycling clothing company look like cycling shirts...

...Yep.... Rugby shirts made by a cycling clothing company look like cycling shirts...

I do not get why they come up with team names in the running season and not before...
Playing for a team called "Denver" with just that on the shirt looks pretty dull to me.

Jerseys are up for sale now. I prefer not to comment on them, though... :eek:
http://champ-sys.com/retail/cs-collection/pro-rugby-apparel

I'm more interested in the pricing model. $80 for the kit for teams you are trying to get new support for and generic designs on top of that. Surely in the first year you want to get these out at a lower price range to encourage people to get invested into the team. If people are casually checking out the matches out of interest I don't see many being encouraged to purchase these kits.

Edit: For comparison, the short sleeve Arsenal jersey is 55 pounds, which is roughly 78 dollars. Bath rugby has the same price level as the Arsenal jerseys. These are established, top flight clubs of their respective sports, how do they think this pricing is a good idea?

Last edited:
The uniforms are really awful and do no inspire confidence about the long term prospects of the organization. I've seen better kits in small city amateur clubs here in the States. In fact, I've never seen such bad kits anywhere at any level.

That said I'll still support PRO Rugby as long as its around and there is no better alternative. I've updated the original post with some newer information. There is no televised broadcast schedule information yet but that's probably the next big thing to look for aside from matches which will be coming in just a month

PS: Bee I hope you don't mind that I used your link.

The uniforms are really awful and do no inspire confidence about the long term prospects of the organization. I've seen better kits in small city amateur clubs here in the States. In fact, I've never seen such bad kits anywhere at any level.

That said I'll still support PRO Rugby as long as its around and there is no better alternative. I've updated the original post with some newer information. There is no televised broadcast schedule information yet but that's probably the next big thing to look for aside from matches which will be coming in just a month

PS: Bee I hope you don't mind that I used your link.

No problem !

I tend to be supportive regarding Rugby, as it just be can good if our sport grows. So I will be following the US league, too.
But the whole thing just looks so amateurish and don half-hearted. Very unexpected be US standarts.

Aw man. Starting up as I have to leave. Woulda loved to see Pedrie play out here.

One thing on jersey prices - NHL jersies go for USD180. So, they're not out of line in that sense. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sales closer to the event.

Ex AB Jamie Mackintosh signs for the Ohio team.

Hell of a signing.

Timana Tahu joins Denver

Some great signings so far

Last edited:

Latest posts