• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro Rugby planning to add Vancouver to the list of teams.

LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan)

G.O.A.T
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leicester
http://theprovince.com/sports/rugby/american-pro-rugby-mogul-hopes-to-add-vancouver-team

Will be nice if this takes off.

Sounds like a few teams will be added then if there is talk of splitting the league vertical already.

Potentially next season would looke like
Eastern conference
Denver
Sacramento
San Diego
San Francisco
Vancouver

Western conference
Toronto
Ohio
3 more teams prob loctation POV maybe Chicargo, NYC and maybe one in Rhode Island?

Everything I've seen from this organisation has been very professional and positive.

They've been ambitious without being reckless or obnoxious.

His remarks regarding foreign interest are great to hear too. He sounds like he's got his head screwed on, which all too often hasn't been the case with North American guys in this business.

Hugely excited about it.

Last edited:
Everything I've seen from this organisation has been very professional and positive.

They've been ambitious without being reckless or obnoxious.

Very unamerican ;)

I agree with the pro 12 bit aswell.
In the former bond trader's mind, growing but not getting too big too soon is the right approach. Pro12, the European league that recently acknowledged interest in North American expansion, would be the wrong approach for North American rugby.

"Whose interest do they serve?" he asked. Not development of Canadian or American players, he argued. Nor would the plans to fund a Miami team mooted by Mourad Boudljellal, owner of French powerhouse club Toulon, he added.

I would say the same goes to Super rugby if they are eyeing up NA.

It goes for everyone - the French and English owners in particular.

It goes for everyone - the French and English owners in particular.

I don't think the english owners have mentioned anything about USA?

I think the AP clubs are soley looking at extending their brands through TV deals.

The RFU have a share of USA rugby though so that might be having some input.

The one thing i didn't like about Pro rugby was the lack of marketing (By the looks of it) and the shirt and name being done after the first season.

Forgot to mention about the french, (although i still think they have the right idea if you where to expand into another country of Americas size).

Imbeciles. That was their last chance to avoid becoming an international obscurity. I can see them being well outside the top 20 in five years. Russia has its own professional league and some South American countries are gaining access to the Argentine league. All of which will be of a higher standard than whatever Canada is producing domestically.

Apparently it is getting its own pro league in 2017 called rugby north.

- - - Updated - - -

Also apparently pro rugby wanted exclusivity in Canada (basically no other pro rugby).

Looked it up. very disappointing if that's the case. May not be true though, could be a bit of public hardball like Bundee Aki did with Connacht Rugby. Never say never.

Be very interesting to see what Canada could offer. If they do go alone perhaps a Champions cup could be set up.

PRO Rugby twitter suggesting the Canadian union moved the goalposts at the eleventh hour over exclusivity. Definite bad blood and I imagine there is little chance of cooperation between both sides any time soon. PRO Rugby feed also posted looking for suggestions for stadia. Seems unusually unprofessional for them and not a good sign.

A very coherent explanation from Schoninger.

https://www.facebook.com/prorugby/posts/1164357303632791

Sounds like Vancouver & Toronto were lined up (presumably with one new US franchise) and now Schoninger is scrambling about for replacements for the Canadians. He is still asking the public for stadium suggestions, which is absolutely bonkers and the first major warning sign about the organisation. I'd read Steve Lewis (the guy who arranged the stadia last season) has moved on and left? That might be contributing to the chaos.

Darn, confirmed. He's left to join some New York 7s competition.

https://djcoilrugby.com/2016/10/07/steven-lewis-leaves-pro-rugby/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/stephen-lewis-78672723

Starting to get worried we might not see a second season despite Schoninger putting up the money for three seasons. Sounds like Pro12 have been stirring it in Canada and may be trying the same in US (with that oaf Gosper's blessing no doubt given his previous remarks on the matter).

I can understand where PRO Rugby is coming from, certainly. The Pro12 only want to thicken it's revenue and has no interest in developing American rugby. If it was to fail, which most likely would, the Pro12 could just walk away with no harm done - something I wish they would do to the Italians. I agree with PRO that it would be more detrimental than beneficial to North American rugby.

And, as an Ulster fan I would hate to see my team go to the States to play, it wouldn't interest me and I think it would devalue not just the Pro12 but also international club rugby as well.

On that note, I also see why PRO would want to protect their investments, they care about North American rugby but not like the USA Rugby does. Yes they want to grow it and make it sustainable but that's so they can make money of it, and there is nothing wrong with that. The man has put a lot of his own money into it so he wants to make it back plus some. He runs the professional aspect and the Union runs the grass roots.

However, I think his team owning model is flawed and greedy. He's banking on this being a big success and if he runs all the teams then he will see huge profits. He has previously stated that PRO owns all the teams and investors can only invest in the league, not the teams. Which I think it cutting your own nose off to spite the face. Look at the Austin Huns, they have big plans and could be a real asset to the league. If they allowed private ownership while adhering to League rules and regulations, salary cap and player draft for example then this league would have no issues. But when you have one guy controlling everything from the centre all it takes is one thing to go wrong for him and that's it.

This would also allow a lot of foreign investment and teams like the Seattle Saracens would perhaps turn fully professional and look after the Pacific North West for PRO and the Union. Leagues, teams and people with money could buy Franchises which I think would America a little better.

Last edited:
It's hard enough getting such a project up and running without having to contend with the whims of private owners. PRO has been badly let down by the Canadian Union and its whims two years running. Magnifying that with 6x private owners at this early stage doesn't bear thinking about. I'm sure he'd be happy to revisit it once he has his own product a bit more polished and established.

I understand the issue about protecting his investment. However, It's hard to defend this argument when PRO Rugby didn't get the exclusivity in US, but they are asking it to Canada.

He says he does have legal paperwork showing exclusivity in the US and is asking USA union to confirm this publicly so that Pro12 get the message. If he has exclusivity it means any Super Rugby expansion in North America has to go through him. Gives him a very strong hand in any negotiations to acquire the Kings as you have to imagine that SR will be asking SARU to accept his offer as a gateway into the USA.

Last edited:
This is all about Rugby Canada wanting 100% control of everything. Rugby Canada is controlled by the BCRU and are a notoriously conservative organization, probably even more conservative than the Argentina Rugby Union in some respects.

A Professional Rugby competition would undermine the entire "system" in Canada and take power away from the BCRU. Despite holding a small proportion of the elite player pool in Canada, the BCRU has Rugby Canada by the balls. All the top playing talent is forced to immigrate to BC to play in the CDI League there. It's the equivalent of forcing everyone in Glasgow and Edinburgh to move to Aberdeen to play elite rugby.

The system makes no sense, whatsoever. I also get the feeling Rugby Canada is worried about protecting their investment in Sevens. The Mens Sevens players just had a strike over money and it would take very little for them to jump ship to 15s. Especially if they are getting paid more than they would in Sevens, twice as much in fact, for what amounts to 4 months work. This would put the Vancouver Sevens at risk which is a significant money maker for Rugby Canada.

Schoninger will eventually get his teams here but the terms will be significantly worse for Rugby Canada. The talk about PRO folding is just that, talk.

The business model is the exact same one used by MLS and it's proven to work.

Latest posts