• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro12 looking to expand to the East coast of North America (New York)

Rumours now focussing on Houston. Which is of course world reknowned for its ethnic Irish and Scots populations :p

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby...it-be-arrivederci-zebre-and-treviso-1-4438994

My guess is that this is the Pro12 using the Scotsman to formulate a negotiating position against the FIR. But I've no idea.

As a resident of North Texas, this will likely be a disaster. Texans will not come out to watch a Texas side get slaughtered by a bunch of "Europeans". The sports market is also a little too saturated between the Texans, Astros, Rockets, Dynamo, University of Houston and nearby Texas A&M. IMHO, Austin or San Antonio would have been better options considering the type of people living there. Even though this move may benefit me personally, it would be absolutely horrendous.

A hard to understand quote from the head of the Pro14 saying they are "passed negotiations" about a US expansion. Answers on a postcard.

http://www.the42.ie/pro14-tv-expansion-germany-3561861-Aug2017/

"It's definitely a possibility. We're passed negotiations it can happen but it has got to happen with USA Rugby's blessing, World Rugby's blessing."

That's not even in English!

Interesting suggestion that the Pro14 SA franchises might become more competitive next to Super Rugby ones due to exchange rates.

Well yes, but even then, what does that mean? That they have identified and negotiated with a partner for a franchise and are waiting on consent from the authorities?
yes, there is a businessman in DMV who is very active in local rugby who has agreed to sponsor/own the team but USA rugby needs to approve the deal which PRO rugby will challenge

also need approval from the city to use stadium

yes, there is a businessman in DMV who is very active in local rugby who has agreed to sponsor/own the team but USA rugby needs to approve the deal which PRO rugby will challenge

also need approval from the city to use stadium

Thanks. I didn't know things had developed beyond rumour, but if the head of Pro14 is saying this then it must be a near certainty.

I long for the day where we can see a competitive USA team. They have the potential to be a top 10 team in the future in my opinion and I think that having a team in the pro 14 would help them out a lot.

An article suggesting New York has opted for the new US domestic league rather than the Pro14.

http://www.rugbytoday.com/clubs/new-york-join-major-league-rugby-2019
Definitely for the best right now. If we keep on expanding blindly without giving a couple of years for the teams we just let in to get bedded in it will become a mess. Door should still be open for new teams in a few years, but we should iron out the kinks right now. Don't want to be in the situation of Super Rugby where they let in a few teams one year and then opt for retrenchment and kick two teams out two years later.

The USMLR should concentrate on North America, firtstly moving to a 8 team league with 2 conferences of 4, playing home and away in conference then home or away against other conference, this would give a 10 game season, add in 1/2 and finals, with a 'Pro-Bowl' invitation match at the end, this could also be a selection side like a Barbarians, who could play against Pro14 teams in pre season. A bit like the MLS where it plays its select side against visiting top European sides.

Latest posts