• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro12 looking to expand to the East coast of North America (New York)

How would they play rugby in New York and Toronto during the winter? Would there be a indoor stadium cheap enough to use?

That seems to be the biggest problem in my eyes the winter in NE NA is nasty and to deal with it for 2/3months would be a tough ask for a Compeition with not a huge amount of money.

I can't see the American public caring about a New York team playing a team from Scotland or Wales.

Irish teams would be the only draw.

i'd assume they would play at red bull arena and BMO field, not the major stadium sin either city

Rogers Centre could be used in Toronto for winter games but it's currently only used for summer/fall sports so i don't know how it is in the winter

games in december and january would be lucky to get 1k

We can make you rich. We'll change your bum life. When you sign to play us, it's a celebration. You ring back home, you ring your wife – baby, we've done it. We're rich, baby. The Irish made us rich. Break out the red panties.

Groundhogs mission is to convince all Americans that Red is southern Ireland's Offical colour.

i'd assume they would play at red bull arena and BMO field, not the major stadium sin either city

Rogers Centre could be used in Toronto for winter games but it's currently only used for summer/fall sports so i don't know how it is in the winter

Doesn't sound very cost effective TBH unless NA teams tour Europe in one big go in December and Jan?

Groundhogs mission is to convince all Americans that Red is southern Ireland's Offical colour.

It is mate, white and red up north, blue and yellow in the east, green and blue in the west and just red in the south because they don't deserve a second colour... (navy maybe?)

It is mate, white and red up north, blue and yellow in the east, green and blue in the west and just red in the south because they don't deserve a second colour... (navy maybe?)

Green is the Offical colour of southern Ireland, i think I know more than you about this subject please.

can't wait til first game against an irish side as potatoes are hurled from the stands

Green is the Offical colour of southern Ireland, i think I know more than you about this subject please.
Haven't you heard about the independent people's republic of Cork baiiiiiiii
original

They were told not to bring the confederate flag to games anymore.
ALSO Tigs our official colour is and always was a dark blue of St.Patrick. The green thing is something everyone bought into because of the colour of our flag, the fact that Americans **** green every March etc.

- - - Updated - - -

can't wait til first game against an irish side as potatoes are hurled from the stands
It would be most welcome. I believe it was the great Gerard Butler and not at all King Leonidas who said, then at least we will play in the shade.

Haven't you heard about the independent people's republic of Cork baiiiiiiii
original

They were told not to bring the confederate flag to games anymore.
ALSO Tigs our official colour is and always was a dark blue of St.Patrick. The green thing is something everyone bought into because of the colour of our flag, the fact that Americans **** green every March etc.

- - - Updated - - -

It would be most welcome. I believe it was the great Gerard Butler and not at all King Leonidas who said, then at least we will play in the shade.

Don't be saying too much as Kimmage will have a hameroage

Strong rumours today of Germany entering a franchise. Apparently they've a lot of money behind them.

Strong rumours today of Germany entering a franchise. Apparently they've a lot of money behind them.

I'm only aware of some random Welsh dude posting a tweet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/robindavey01/status/833636356509331456

Unless there is anything else I'll be taking a pinch of salt. Plus, whoever gave the Scotsman some info stipulated it'd be an 18 game season. So no room for a new continental European side in 2018/19 at least. Still, its about as credible as playing rugby in Toronto and New York in January!

Rumours of bringing extra teams in to Celtic Rugby and creating conference style league.

Already 2 issues glaring me in face. The difference between a 2nd string Munster Leinster Glasgow and top 6 in Pro12 will be way too strong still for Italians, Germans, Americans and Canadians.
If it was a case of Munster for example played like away games in USA and Canada as a tour. It'd devalue league as no international guy will be let rack up those air miles.

Rumours of bringing extra teams in to Celtic Rugby and creating conference style league.

Already 2 issues glaring me in face. The difference between a 2nd string Munster Leinster Glasgow and top 6 in Pro12 will be way too strong still for Italians, Germans, Americans and Canadians.
If it was a case of Munster for example played like away games in USA and Canada as a tour. It'd devalue league as no international guy will be let rack up those air miles.

Why couldn't they? The Super Rugby lads have little issue with it.

Why couldn't they? The Super Rugby lads have little issue with it.

Because if you factor in the camps and European games. The IRFU will never allow it. The guys have limit on games per year. And limits on away games that.
The difference with Super Rugby is they don't have the camps etc. It can be done but can you see IRFU sacrificing camps and their wellness programme. Now obviously I may be wrong but like I can see when any team goes to play 2 North American games away it'll be similar to Italian teams few years ago. Played 1 team on Saturday with weak squad, had a week cmp in Italy then played other Italian team. IRFU put a stop on international guys doing that week too.

Because if you factor in the camps and European games. The IRFU will never allow it. The guys have limit on games per year. And limits on away games that.
The difference with Super Rugby is they don't have the camps etc. It can be done but can you see IRFU sacrificing camps and their wellness programme. Now obviously I may be wrong but like I can see when any team goes to play 2 North American games away it'll be similar to Italian teams few years ago. Played 1 team on Saturday with weak squad, had a week cmp in Italy then played other Italian team. IRFU put a stop on international guys doing that week too.

they are expecting to shave 4 games off though

There was an article in the western mail about it this morning. I think you can read it on Wales online, I'll try and get a link

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/guinness-atlantic-rugby-championship-fascinating-12628836

There was an article in the western mail about it this morning. I think you can read it on Wales online, I'll try and get a link

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...antic-rugby-championship-fascinating-12628836

Thanks. It's just jumping on the back of the Scotsman article (which I do consider an accurate representation of Pro12's thinking even though its a terrible publication). Anything that reduces the clash with the international window and helps retain international players in the league gets my vote. It arguably cost Glasgow a home semi-final last season and might cost them a place in the playoffs this year. It's a very uneven playing field as a result.

They have to learn from the Italian situation and take steps to make any new sides a little more competitive from the outset. For example, each Pro12 side (except the Italian ones) loan out one starting player from the previous year to one of the expanded sides.

Rogers Centre isn't really an option. The Jays kicked the Argos out so they could have full control, and then replaced the infield with real dirt. They were also supposedly looking into real grass, but I think that's been shelved. I don't know if Rogers would want to put the money into maintaining grass indoors for the winter anyway.

If the season changed, BMO could be an option, but it's already used by TFC from March to December, and the Argos from June to November, and the TFC people are already super touchy about their grass.

Lamport hold 10k, but is a pretty basic stadium. And being used by the Wolfpack, not sure how much they'd want to share. Artificial turf there.

Latest posts