• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro14 Suspended Indefinately - Covid 19

collace

Academy Player
Club or Nation
Ulster
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51858815

The Pro14 has been suspended indefinitely because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Round 14 of the competition for clubs from Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Italy and South Africa was due to take place next weekend, starting 20 March.

There was already disruption involving the Italian teams, with Ospreys' trip to Zebre and Ulster's game at Benetton both postponed on 29 February.

Pro14 say the resumption of the season will be "a matter of constant review."

"We have made this decision with everyone's welfare foremost in our minds," said tournament director David Jordan.

"With an evolving situation in the five countries that take part, it is important to make a clear decision that is in keeping with the advice of the various governments involved."

Unbeaten Leinster are top of Conference A, with Edinburgh leading Conference B.

With travel restricted across the whole of Italy, Zebre were not allowed to travel to face to Cardiff Blues on 21 March, and Benetton were unable to go to Munster the following week.

Benetton had been given permission to travel to Newport on 6 March to take on Dragons after giving assurances none of their players or staff had been in contact with anyone suffering from the illness.

The final of the competition is due to be played on 20 June at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has advised gatherings of more than 500 people should be cancelled.

The Six Nations has already been impacted, though Wales' match with Scotland in Cardiff on Saturday is due to go ahead as planned.

I'm trying to be positive here man!

Hoping a closed door job is arranged for that.
Unsure if it will happen for rugby but there is certainly a worry for football that people will congregate in pubs instead actually making potential transmission and spread of the virus worse.

Unsure if it will happen for rugby but there is certainly a worry for football that people will congregate in pubs instead actually making potential transmission and spread of the virus worse.
Yeah I read they're considering banning sport in pubs over there. Mad **** altogether anyway.

Domestic rugby in Ireland suspended until the 29th, hard to see any rugby going on here until then.

Big possibility that this season. Europe and Domestic will be suspended and reset next year. Which makes it more fun as was pointed out Saracens may be European champs and out of top tier in England.
Other issue will be who replaces them.

Have heard it is going to be May to June before games are back.

Closed doors won't work due to travel restrictions that will be on the way and have started already

I understand the decision and wish everyone involved all the best. Hopefully they'll be able to salvage some of the season later in the Spring. If not, life moves on.

Last edited:
I very much doubt the league will complete the regular season. A possible solution is an expanded playoffs.

1st round
2nd v 7th, 3rd v 6th, 4th v 5th
Top team in each conference based on current standings has a bye.

2nd round and beyond
Top team in each conference enters the fray along with the three 1st round winners and we move to a regular playoffs.

Since the final is scheduled for June 20th, it would be possible for the league to shut down until the weekend of May 30th and the above playoffs to take place.

Similarly it'd be possible to shut down the Champions and Challenge Cups until May 9th and still complete the season on the planned final date of May 23rd.

I very much doubt the league will complete the regular season. A possible solution is an expanded playoffs.

1st round

2nd round and beyond
Top team in each conference enters the fray along with the three 1st round winners and we move to a regular playoffs.

Since the final is scheduled for June 20th, it would be possible for the league to shut down until the weekend of May 30th and the above playoffs to take place.

Similarly it'd be possible to shut down the Champions and Challenge Cups until May 9th and still complete the season on the planned final date of May 23rd.

Issue Snoop with this I believe is Unions are all set to travel and the cost to Pro14 to restructure a Final outside of Cardiff or the designated dates could be too much a cost to take the plunge.
The rumours doing the unions are that the European Cups will be scrapped as it will have less a financial impact than the domestic leagues hits.

The domestic leagues in England and France will continue to try get solutions to see season out and the Pro 14 may just scrap the season and look at hybrid tournament between Celtic teams in preparation for Summer international tours.
From what I hear then there will be consultations on the Pro14 places in Europe and a nomination style will happen. For Example if Scottish Union say they want 2 teams and WRU say we feel only Scarlets will be up to it then it may recommend SRU get 2 spots at the expense of Ospreys spot this year.

1st round

2nd round and beyond

Looks rather convoluted.

Issue Snoop with this I believe is Unions are all set to travel and the cost to Pro14 to restructure a Final outside of Cardiff or the designated dates could be too much a cost to take the plunge.
The rumours doing the unions are that the European Cups will be scrapped as it will have less a financial impact than the domestic leagues hits.

The domestic leagues in England and France will continue to try get solutions to see season out and the Pro 14 may just scrap the season and look at hybrid tournament between Celtic teams in preparation for Summer international tours.
From what I hear then there will be consultations on the Pro14 places in Europe and a nomination style will happen. For Example if Scottish Union say they want 2 teams and WRU say we feel only Scarlets will be up to it then it may recommend SRU get 2 spots at the expense of Ospreys spot this year.

Um, I think Cardiff are rather more likely to make the European Cup this time round than the Ospreys are...

Looks rather convoluted.
It's straight knockouts. Not convoluted at all.

It all depends on this blowing over by the start of May which might not be the case.

Health is much more important. Leinster can have their perfect season next season.

If the Premiership is cancelled, is Saracens 105 point deduction invalid and thus relegation won't take place?!

Last edited:
It's straight knockouts. Not convoluted at all.

It all depends on this blowing over by the start of May which might not be the case.

Health is much more important. Leinster can have their perfect season next season.

If the Premiership is cancelled, is Saracens 105 point deduction invalid and thus relegation won't take place?!
The English and French leagues are looking like they will finish out of possible.Pro14 had a trickier hurdle as it has alot of travel.

Unlikely for us to see this pass by May. But unfortunately this is very bad for IRFU and provincal sides as funding will be hurt. But sometimes there is much more than money at stake.

**** the Pro14. My team is in the hunt for three trophies, and the seconds one too. I haven't won jack in 7 years and that one was a tainted victory, I need that metal.

Latest posts