• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Problem with forum [fixed]

Larksea

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
every time I go to one of the boards like this one I get a blue box that covers the whole screen, been like that for a few days since the look of the forum started changing alot. anyone else got the same problem?

like I can post this new thread but I wont be able to come back in again and view it

firefox 19.0.2

It's been mentioned before, I think its something to do with a possible ad block extention that firefox uses. Im using Chrome and an adblock extension and it works fine so either disable extension or change browser and it should work ok then.

I get the same problems in Chrome but it is fine when I use incognito mode (so I guess it is the adblocker).

Yeah, as above I believe it's a compatibility problem with Ad Block software.
I use Chrome with AdBlock Plus, I've whitelisted the forum and it works fine now.

blah so it is, I thought about testing that before I posted but there is no way I am running my browser without it enabled.

changed my filter from fat to easy and problem still there. dont spose anyone knows what filter causes the problem?

never had this issue till the recent forum changes.

well I reset my hit stats refreashed the page and found a combo that when disabled fixes the problem though the page kinda sticks loading something which isn'g great. will play a bit more.

Last edited:
Is there not a setting to disable it just for TRF and nothing else?
With Chrome you can do that (I have it disabled for TRF and youtube, but enabled for everything else).
You just untick this box:
Capture.PNG

Let us know what combinations of browsers/addons and settings work and don't work.
Thanks!

Use the "old TRF design" selection from the drop down box bottom left on the page.

I wouldn't neceessarily use adblock were it not for certain advertisements that feature scantily clad young women plastered across the top of the page.

They are difficult to explain to wifey when she walks in while I'm on TRF.

"Its just a rugby forum dear" doesn't seem to cut the mustard for some reason.

PS. On the "young" bit, this particular one might look old to you lot, but I'm 57, so anything that looks less than about 45 is "young".

Besides, wifey is the same age as me, so anything that looks younger than her is automatically "a younger woman"

Last edited:
@Smartcooky - the ads are via Google and we don't get to pick which ones show up, they are based on what it believes are your interests... nothing more to say there, hehe! :p

As for the old design, that's fine for now - but ideally I'm waiting for someone who is experiencing this issue to let me know what code to change to fix it. Ultimately we will 'retire' the old design and therefore fixing the 'real' design is the focus. We're also looking at disabling ads for the Season Ticket holders. This way no-one is trying to get a 'free lunch' by using an ad blocker and in return for their contribution we "block" the ads for you. As a holder yourself, you'd then obviously benefit from this and therefore I'm guessing it would get your vote? :)

Last edited:
@Smartcooky - the ads are via Google and we don't get to pick which ones show up, they are based on what it believes are your interests... nothing more to say there, hehe! :p

As for the old design, that's fine for now - but ideally I'm waiting for someone who is experiencing this issue to let me know what code to change to fix it. Ultimately we will 'retire' the old design and therefore fixing the 'real' design is the focus. We're also looking at disabling ads for the Season Ticket holders. This was you're no-one is trying to get a 'free lunch' by using an ad blocker and in return for their contribution we "block" the ads for you. As a holder yourself, you'd then obviously benefit from this and therefore I'm guessing it would get your vote? :)

Yes it would, but blocking ads wasn't the only thing it did with is. Some users used to have ridiculously large images in their signatures, and I used to block them as well.

As for the design thing, well I get that problem with or out without the Adblock enabled when I select the "The Rugby Forum" design.

Would you like a screen capture?

Yes, please *enable* ads and ideally upload (or email [email protected]) a full page screenshot - I can provide a tip on how to do this if you let me know your browser - it needs to be with the ads enabled and displaying so we can be certain that adblock plus is having no influence at all. Please remember to include which browser you are using and if you have Norton, McAfee or any other 3rd party security or anti-virus.

Yes, please *enable* ads and ideally upload (or email [email protected]) a full page screenshot - I can provide a tip on how to do this if you let me know your browser - it needs to be with the ads enabled and displaying so we can be certain that adblock plus is having no influence at all. Please remember to include which browser you are using and if you have Norton, McAfee or any other 3rd party security or anti-virus.

I'll do this when I get home tonight because I don't have my screen-capture software at work (tried ctrl PrintScrn, doesn't work)

This is what happens when you admit your age smartcooky, we assume you can't use technology ;)

Yes it would, but blocking ads wasn't the only thing it did with is. Some users used to have ridiculously large images in their signatures, and I used to block them as well.

As for the design thing, well I get that problem with or out without the Adblock enabled when I select the "The Rugby Forum" design.

Would you like a screen capture?

Sig images have been removed for the most part.

The script causing the blue box/ads issue is from googlesyndication.com, if that helps.

I'll do this when I get home tonight because I don't have my screen-capture software at work (tried ctrl PrintScrn, doesn't work)

No need to use ctlr, just hit the PrintScrn button, open paint and hit cntrl+v to paste. Save it as a jpgeg and upload it.

Edit. This is assuming you're using a Windows based computer.

This is what happens when you admit your age smartcooky, we assume you can't use technology ;)

I don't have to admit my age matey, its public knowledge in my profile.

PS: I am not technologically challenged either. I've had computers since right back at the time of the TRS80 and the Apple II+, when 128 kilobytes of memory was VERY BIG, and a 20 megabyte MFM or RLL hard disk drive (which was the size of two 5¼" Floppy Disk Drives stacked one on top of the other) had a capacty so unimaginably HUGE that you simply could not envisage anyone ever needing anything bigger.

I did Apple 6502 assembly language programming for breakfast.

Anyway, I digress. Back to the original topic...

I cannot seem to replicate what was happeneing last night. It all seems to be working fine, Adblock on or off

No need to use ctlr, just hit the PrintScrn button, open paint and hit cntrl+v to paste. Save it as a jpgeg and upload it.

Edit. This is assuming you're using a Windows based computer.

Doesn't work for me. I don't have Paint, I have Photoshop.

I press "Print Scrn" then open a new file in PS. It comes up with the dimensions 1280 x 1024 (which looks right) but when I paste, it is just a black image.

Last edited:

Latest posts