• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Problem with placement of player in the pack

SixteenSixtySix

Academy Player
Country Flag
Malaysia
Club or Nation
New Zealand
I have two giant juniors; one is 16 y/o (A) and the other is 15 y/o (B).

The 16y/o is about 192cm or a bit higher and weighs just over 100kg with a physique like a lock. The other is just 3-5 inches shorter but weighs 115-120kg and physique of a prop. Both are slow and sluggish and their stamina is pretty low too but I'll train them well with cardio :)

Initially I thought of putting B at front row but figured that might cause an imbalance because he's bigger than the other props (he's that big).

Problem with A is that pretty much everyone else other than B is significantly shorter than him and that putting him at second row might also create an imbalance within the scrum.

I've thought of several ideas:
if putting B is not a problem at front row then A could be the no. 8 ('A' playing like Opeti Fonua)

Another is putting both of them as locks since they both are around the same height with similar capabilities and put other player in other positions but I might lose a great asset of B being a powerful prop.

Bottom line, where should I put these two?

NOTE: We haven't tested them in the pack since pre-season training hasn't started yet, so this is just an early discussion about it.

Any suggestion or idea is most welcomed. If additional information is required, I'll give them right away.

Thank you in advance.

Latest posts