• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Prop getting lifted off feet in scrum

Andrew Alexander

Academy Player
Hi all,

First post so treat me gentle.

I have joined a new team recently and the prop is a little short. Problem is, he keeps getting lifted off his feet in scrums in training, is there anything he can do to stop this happening? I'm trying my best as a second row to keep him down but it happens a lot, particularly when we're going backwards.

Or is this because the opposite prop is coming up in the scrum?

Any help appreciated, particularly from you veteran prop types who study "the dark arts"

Thanks.

Hi Andrew,

Well there are a few things that could be the issue. His height shouldn't me the problem as the shorter he is, the lower his centre of gravity would be. My guess is that he's not too heavy and that he gets pushed up as the opposing force is stronger than from his side.

But it could also be the way in which he's binding to the hooker and how you as the lock behind him is binding onto him. The other issue could be that you and your lock partner go in too low behind the front row, so that the props are basically sitting on your shoulders, and instead of pushing forwards, you are pushing them upwards.

Is he a tighthead or a loosehead?

Welcome!

I doubt his height has much to do with it. In my experience short squat props are harder to get underneath and force up and are often the guilty party where lifting's going on.

Technique has a lot to do with it, and if he's right off his feet chances are the opponent may be having a bit of sport by driving up a bit. But if it's happening regularly chances are he simply isn't strong enough to handle the forces coming from both the opposition and you. Think back to GSCE geography and how mountains are formed - two rock plates converge on each other with huge force and the weaker stuff gets squeezed up. Similar principle.

As a lock you need to make sure that you're not restricting him by inadvertently pushing against the back of his leg, but without seeing first hand we can't say if there are any obvious technical deficiencies. Part of the fun of the front row is figuring it out for yourself, but developing powerful legs and back is a very good start.

If his legs are being lifted off the ground, I'd say the issue is that the lock behind is setting up too low and rather than pushing forward through the buttocks and in line with the spine, you are starting low and pushing upwards, lifting his feet and making him unable to do anything. If his head is popping up, then the opposite prop has got the better of him.

He can try to do something if the problem is coming from the opposition but if his own lock is basically driving him upwards, there is nothing he can do to keep his feet on the ground. To prove the point, if you have a horizontal bar and someone grabs it then someone behind them sticks their shoulder under their arse and lifts, there is absolutely nothing the guy being lifted can do to prevent it.

Very good point ragerancher, perhaps my shouldera are raising when we are moving backwards. I can see what you mean about the front row not being able to do much. Perhaps because his legs are short it's a bit more exaggerated lol!

Latest posts