• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Prop

S

shtove

I've never played there, and I'm always critical of scrums going down. But WTF do I know?

I came across this a few years ago - it's an account of the first few scrums in the Munster-All Blacks match at Thomond in 1978, mostly told from the POV of Ginger McLoughlin Munster prop (quoted from Stand Up And Fight):
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Gerry McLoughlin: Most people haven't got a clue what happens in a scrum, but I'll tell you. Back then, I never passed on any knowledge to anyone, not even my own brother, in case they might get the better of me. Every scrum I ever went into, I set the agenda. I had to make sure the rest of them were as focused as me, especially the back-row forwards. I mean, somebody had to make sure that the importance of the scrum was fully understood. As props, our heads were on the block. Nobody blames the back row if the scrum goes back.

It's a war, right? You're trying to break people in two and stop them from breathing. You're trying to put his head in his chest so he's thinking about other things. A man is only as strong as his weakest point. So you take him at his weakest point â€" the top of his head, the pole. That takes experience, a lot of technique and a lot of trickery. You've got to make sure you fool the referee, distract his attention.

You're thinking, thinking, thinking position. It's not about speed into the scrum, it's about picking your spot. And the best position hurts you. The blood is rushing to your head. You're in a pain zone. But you know the other guy is suffering more. He can't breathe. He can't support his neck. You know he's going to crack, you can feel the weakness coming. And then he gives. Half an inch is all you need. You know you have him, there's no way back for him. He splits out from his second row. He's got no one behind him and you drive through him.

Gary Knight (AB prop): I used to be a wrestler. It's a sport that sets you up well for playing in the front row, that one-on-one element. I liked to keep low to the ground, that's the way I scrummaged. You've got to keep the other guy low, but never let him go to the ground. If he does that, you've failed. It's all about keeping him low and sustaining that pressure until he reaches breaking point.

Gerry McLoughlin: The first scrum happened in the first minute, over on the far side of the pitch. It was our ball. That meant more pressure. It meant we were expected to win it. You'd prefer their ball first off, because it gives you a chance to get into it. You've got eight guys pushing against seven.

Practically everyone I knew in Limerick was there, scattered all over the ground, or sitting on the wall on the far side, looking down on that scrum, waiting to see what was going to happen. That was the moment of truth for me â€" the All Black Test prop pushing against me on our ball. In the front row, it's easy to be confident if you know you're good enough. But when you scrummage a guy for the first time, especially somebody with Gary Knight's reputation, you never know what you're up against until you feel the pressure and you find out what he's got, what his technique is. After a few seconds, you can tell and so can he. You know if you're going to do a job on him, or if he's going to do a job on you.

We went down and straight away I knew I was going to be able to scrummage as I wanted. I knew I wasn't going to have a problem with Gary Knight. Jesus Christ, it was a huge boost to get in the first minute of the match. I'm not saying he was a bad scrummager. All I'm saying is I could handle him.

Les (White) [other Munster prop] was doing a job for us. He was a decent player and I had a good bond with him. So I'm thinking, "We're going to be fine here", when next thing the pressure comes through on the tighthead side, they start driving forward and Les gets shoved backwards. That came as a shock to me. The angle was right getting in. We were set. The wheel was ready, but it was a slow heel. You could have said Pa Whelan didn't hook the ball fast enough. But then again, far be it for me to blame the hooker. Because you wouldn't know what hookers would be up to.

Tom Kiernan, Munster coach: First we missed the catch from the kick-off, then we lost the first scrum badly. I was sitting in the stand, alongside the selectors. And I'm a bad man to watch a match, always was. I can't help myself. I'll say, "Why did he do that? Why didn't he do the other thing?"

Gerry McLoughlin: Second scrum, we had to hold them. We had to set out our stall. We had learned our lesson from the first one. I knew I had the measure of my man â€" I wasn't going to be driven around the place. That meant I could be more accommodating to Les on the other side of the scrum.

Les White: I was 34 and I'd never been an international, so this was it for me, the biggest match of my life. That's the way I was looking at it. I wasn't six feet tall and six feet wide with no neck, so I had to have technique. And playing in that Munster front row was hard. Whelan would have us driving a scrummaging machine up against a brick wall in training. He was aggressive then, but when he came up against real opposition â€" when the first contact was about to be made â€" he would go mad. I can't recall his exact words. Let's just say he was a great exponent of the F-word.

Gerry McLoughlin: The push came on and they couldn't budge us. Some people were surprised by that, but they shouldn't have been. I was the guy doing 200 scrums a night at Shannon, not Gary Knight. Why should he be the one to budge me? Just because he was wearing a black jersey? It didn't work like that.

Brendan Foley, Munster lock: Locky never lacked faith in his own scrummaging ability. He was a fair prop, no doubt about it. It didn't matter if he was playing for Shannon, for Ireland or the Lions. He nearly got us killed in South Africa once. He gave an interview the day before a Test match. We were short of four or five of our best players and they had a massive pack. He told the newspaper reporter that he reckoned we'd take the Springboks up front, that they were weak in the scrum.

Gerry McLoughlin: Fifteen minutes into the game, there's a stupid knock-on, scrum to us virtually on their line. And for the front-row forwards, this was a big scrum, the biggest of the match. If they were any good â€" if they were as good as people said they were â€" they were going to drive us off that ball. People watching a match see a scrum on the line and they think, "They're putting everything into this, everything they've got in the tank." But it doesn't work like that, not with me. I could never lift the tempo on my own line or on their line â€" it would be the same throughout the whole field. Every single scrum was important and that meant you got the feel then. He should have been down trying to drive me back in that scrum, but he didn't do it. I was able to get under him. I was comfortable and I wasn't going back one inch.

Gary Knight: We couldn't budge them. We were cleaned out. Their tails were up. That's all there was to it. When you're the All Blacks, wherever you go to play it's a big deal. You know that for a lot of those players it's the most important game of the year. Sometimes it means more. Sometimes it's the biggest game of their lifetime. To me, it felt like that's what we were up against.

Gerry McLoughlin: We knew after that scrum. We just knew. We thought, "If they can't do it there, they're not going to do it anywhere."[/b]

Ouch! The bit about cutting of the breathing.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/art...m=1151003209000

Great read! Psychology of the scrum is very interesting.

A friend of mine (who plays tighthead) was telling me that Marcus Horan said something similar about scrumming against Castro in the 6N last year, except for Marcus the first scrum went badly, and Castro started mocking him, so Marcus and Donncha spent the rest of the game trying to shove Catro's spine out through his arse, and he had to be taken off after 55 minutes, which gave Marcus the opportunity to start mouthing off. Anybody that has the book want to confirm or deny that?

Lot's of awesome battles within a game in the front row, if your scrum is being murdered you just won't win, use Vickery against the Lions, Payne yesterday against Leicester, Australia/England QF, Munster in Franklin's garden this season, plenty of examples.

Brilliant Read!! Best way to get a feel for front row life is to get your head in there!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 11 2010, 01:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Great read! Psychology of the scrum is very interesting.

A friend of mine (who plays tighthead) was telling me that Marcus Horan said something similar about scrumming against Castro in the 6N last year, except for Marcus the first scrum went badly, and Castro started mocking him, so Marcus and Donncha spent the rest of the game trying to shove Catro's spine out through his arse, and he had to be taken off after 55 minutes, which gave Marcus the opportunity to start mouthing off. Anybody that has the book want to confirm or deny that?

Lot's of awesome battles within a game in the front row, if your scrum is being murdered you just won't win, use Vickery against the Lions, Payne yesterday against Leicester, Australia/England QF, Munster in Franklin'[/b]
Horan got done at the first scrum by Castro, who then said "eet will be a long day for you". DOC came back with the memorable reply, "No, it will be a long day for you." Then Horan and DOC held their own and Castro went off for a bit. Horan just makes the point about the importance of the lock in holding the prop in place - and then does a lot of mouthing off!

Cole v Payne in the Leicester/Wasps match was fascinating. I thought Cole was brilliant, but maybe Payne is just a bit ****?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FrontRowUnion @ Jan 12 2010, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Brilliant Read!! Best way to get a feel for front row life is to get your head in there![/b]
Closest for me would be mauls, and sometimes the pressure on the neck and the claustrophobia was frightening. From that point of view you'd have to feel sorry for Vickery on the Lions tour - but it's so hard, when you see his little booties waving in the air as the scrum goes down.

What do you think McLoughlin means by "accomodating" his fellow prop on the other side of the scrum?

I've played front row a bit but more 2nd row and I can say that there is no more satisfying feeling than out srumming a "superior" pack.

It was quite a good read, but in my opinion it's just glamourising what is essentially a clueless and boring part of the game to me, these days.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Jan 12 2010, 04:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It was quite a good read, but in my opinion it's just glamourising what is essentially a clueless and boring part of the game to me, these days.[/b]
You forgot the ironic smiley?

Im a plastic yank...i no longer understand the concept of irony - especially when it concerns emoticons.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Jan 11 2010, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It was quite a good read, but in my opinion it's just glamourising what is essentially a clueless and boring part of the game to me, these days.[/b]

Boooooo! You're just saying that to taunt me!

Now that I've shown you how egotistical I am...

The scrum is great, especially the front row battles. I've played prop since I started rugby back in the late 90's. I recently went up an old teamate who I was the first person I'd ever went up against and he was talking smack the whole match. I replied by burrying his ass in the ground over and over again, because he couldn't handle the pressure. Great feeling.

The great thing about playing scrum, is when you get a ref who does not know the rules of scrummaging. During my devision final, I played my best match at prop, and I destroyed in the scrums, and I did it because I was a better prop, and I liften him off the ground before I drove him back, but I kept his head down, to make it look like he was grounded, the eventual outcome of this could have been a broken back to him as his spine could snap, but when your in a scrum, you don't really care. We won the game 14-15.

I'm not gonna lie, i don't know the first thing that goes on in the scrum. It looks like a complete mess from the number 9 spot.
I just keep an eye out on the opposition not binding correctly or not hitting straight and then i quickly run to the referee and tell on him!
tantrum2.jpg

Love scrummaging, as you said winning that scrum in a vital point is a tremendous feeling.

after coming out of the scrum i get a second wind and im ready to continue. When you have lost a scrum its a crap feeling which makes running to either the next scrum if its 3rd team rugby or to get the the next passage of play.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintDean @ Jan 13 2010, 04:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
which makes running to either the next scrum if its 3rd team rugby...[/b]

It's funny you should say that. Whenever you play a lower level of rugby it seems like you run from scrum, to scrum, to scrum, to scrum....wheeew! I'm tired just thinking about it!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Jan 13 2010, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintDean @ Jan 13 2010, 04:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
which makes running to either the next scrum if its 3rd team rugby...[/b]

It's funny you should say that. Whenever you play a lower level of rugby it seems like you run from scrum, to scrum, to scrum, to scrum....wheeew! I'm tired just thinking about it!
[/b][/quote]

3rd team is irritating as sin, i enjoy 3rd team because its not so much competitive but to enjoy the match and learn the little things you dont quite understand.

Thats 3rd team in a nutshell Scrum to Scrum to Scrum. Sometimes uncontested is fun because you have alot more energy to chase the ball run with the ball etc.

Latest posts