Proposals to restructure the Champ's and Challenge cups

Which Tyler

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Bath
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-un...rope-chiefs-call-for-radical-fixtures-change/

EPCR want to play all 6 pool rounds on the trot, in December and January - pushing back the 6N by a couple of weeks.
I agree entirely, though I'm not sure why they want the 6N pushed back (not that I object to that bit either) and have long advocated 2 blocks of 3 weeks, rather than 3 blocks of 2. The only real question (for me) is player welfare playing that increased intensity for 6 weeks.

Trying to fix their own **** up in the way they scheduled the knockout stages is all this is. Don't fancy it, rounds 3 and 4 are the best part of this competition and you lose the intensity with that format.

Smacks of A) knee-jerk reaction to diminished interest last season following the WC and B ) attempting to mask their utter failure to promote their charges (the competitions) in any way whatsoever.

Overall and in my excessively lofty opinion, they want more cash from the telly God.

They can go to hell until they start drumming up some interest outside of the week in week-out fans.

Last edited:
I'm sure the various league sponsors would be thrilled to have a 6 week mid season hibernation in addition to the diminished fixtures during international windows. (Can't access the article so may be talking rubbish).

Wish rugby leant itself to midweek fixtures. Then again with modern squad sizes maybe it could.

What a stoopid idea. They want to play the pool stages and quarters in a 7 week block, and then have a four month gap to the semis and finals, and they think this will help with momentum? It will kill momentum!!

Why not go the whole hog and just run the Aviva/Pro12/Top14 to a conclusion earlier in the season (during which teams qualify for the RCC/Challenge Cup) then have the whole EC in a nine week block at the end of the season?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure the various league sponsors would be thrilled to have a 6 week mid season hibernation in addition to the diminished fixtures during international windows. (Can't access the article so may be talking rubbish).

Wish rugby leant itself to midweek fixtures. Then again with modern squad sizes maybe it could.

We do that with the Mitre 10 Cup because we have to fit a 12 week competition (10xRR + S + F) into 11 weeks. Ten rounds are played in nine weeks by, each week, having two teams take a turn playing a midweek fixture with two four day turnarounds on the trot (usually Saturday - Wednesday - Sunday)

Last edited:
The break between the group stage and the knock-out stage is too long as it is, increasing it makes it even worse. Just as the June Internationals make it hard to care about the rest of the regular season in Super Rugby (and to some extent the play-offs), the long wait for the quarter finals really doesn't help. I principally like having weekend fixtures only, but it stretches everything out far too much.

The only real question (for me) is player welfare playing that increased intensity for 6 weeks.

In contrast to say, the AI's or RWC's, which are nicely interspersed with low-intensity rugby for the sake of player welfare? Is this really an issue?

What a stoopid idea. They want to play the pool stages and quarters in a 7 week block, and then have a four month gap to the semis and finals, and they think this will help with momentum? It will kill momentum!!

Why not go the whole hog and just run the Aviva/Pro12/Top14 to a conclusion earlier in the season (during which teams qualify for the RCC/Challenge Cup) then have the whole EC in a nine week block at the end of the season?

- - - Updated - - -

We do that with the Mitre 10 Cup because we have to fit a 12 week competition (10xRR + S + F) into 11 weeks. Ten rounds are played in nine weeks by, each week, having two teams take a turn playing a midweek fixture with two four day turnarounds on the trot (usually Saturday - Wednesday - Sunday)
Great idea and one I created a season structure with.

My idea would be to remove June internationals and play them as one block in Sept and Oct, the same time as the RWC, followed by domestic leagues, then 6N, then euro clubs.

EPCR fan survey on the three European competitions. Always worth taking the time to feedback into these things I think.

Give it a try and see how it works and if works better than the present system then keep it but if it works worse than the current way then revert back to the current system.

They'll need to do some serious restructuring now that dastardly Johnny Foreigner is once again swatting aside the upstanding and mighty English clubs again.

That's just not cricket. Maybe next up, the referee has to be hand-picked by the English clubs, or similar.

Ironic considering that performance from the referee in Munster yesterday

Sorry, saturday or whenever.
The game was so **** and stop start it felt like it dragged on forever.

Edit:
Also, wasn't it a joint French/English club decision to change up the Euro comps?
As it stands it's something like 4 french quarter finalists, 2 English, 2 Irish.
Sounds about right, really.

Last edited:
Sorry, saturday or whenever.
The game was so **** and stop start it felt like it dragged on forever.

Edit:
Also, wasn't it a joint French/English club decision to change up the Euro comps?
As it stands it's something like 4 french quarter finalists, 2 English, 2 Irish.
Sounds about right, really.
On game and reviews ref actually got more right than wrong.

On decision to change it was pushed more by English as BT put pressure on to get access and hence BT deal regarding first choice on English teams.

On qualification bit that the English have 2 teams the fact is they put more than anyone on line for change and excluding Saracens they haven't been amazing. I think it more on lines of it was constantly said the AP is so much better than Pro14. Yet Ospreys are worst team in Pro14 at moment and how they performed vs Saints shows the AP isn't too shabby. Like it's more a reality check the English league is not a star league like Top14. That's not an insult or anything just more a reality that yes they are needed but aren't as powerful on the field as other leagues. They are at same level as Pro14 in terms of standard but stronger financially

- - - Updated - - -

/QUOTE]
More time to sell semi final tickets?

Yet Ospreys are worst team in Pro14 at moment and how they performed vs Saints shows the AP isn't too shabby.
Just shows how much you follow English rugby, tbh.
Saints have been dire for a while. They've managed to pull a few results out of the bag but have been **** for the most part.
It's easy to point to specific results and say X or Y league is better. Sale have been **** this season but nilled Cardiff who are about mid table when you combine the retarded conference system pro14 are doing these days.

Just shows how much you follow English rugby, tbh.
Saints have been dire for a while. They've managed to pull a few results out of the bag but have been **** for the most part.
It's easy to point to specific results and say X or Y league is better. Sale have been **** this season but nilled Cardiff who are about mid table when you combine the retarded conference system pro14 are doing these days.
As I said I do follow. And have always said it's not much better than Pro14. Equally I never said Pro14 better. But equally my point stands. Consistenty English teams never dominate Europe. They have 1 or 2 teams always it is usually French as majority.
Equally the ignorance to put down the Pro14 trying something new I think helps show my point on this. You call it a retarded conference but stats show on the field games are more competitive as teams have something worth playing for. And no that doesn't mean it is working perfect or better but again what exactly have I said is so wrong?
More you support my point. As if all results were combined it'd probably show very little difference between 2 leagues and as I said not a gulf in levels as some English people thought

Latest posts