Pumas (South African rugby team) want Super Rugby franchise

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
The Pumas are planning an audacious bid to become one of the six South African Super Rugby franchises. BRENTON CHELIN reports.

The side from Nelspruit have been one of the stories of the Currie Cup so far, but their tale doesn't stop there. With Super Rugby set for yet another expansion in 2016, the Pumas have made it known that they want a piece of the cake, whether they are invited to the party or not.

'There's no reason why a Super Rugby franchise can't work in Nelspruit. We've got the facilities and a new academy in the works. We don't want to continue to be a feeder union, our goals are higher than that.'

'If a union like Free State didn't have Super Rugby, would they be able to survive financially? They're able to attract sponsors and keep their best young players because of their involvement in the tournament. They have all the advantages that come with being a Super Rugby franchise.'

http://www.sarugbymag.co.za/blog/details/pumas-want-super-rugby-franchise

Well it makes sense I guess, and they are playing better rugby than the Kings who got the automatic nod for the expansion.

I like it that they are putting up a fight, and I know this will make Feic very happy.

Boland could also support a SR franchize if they were allowed and could get away from politics. A Boland team based in either Paarl or Stellenbosch could be HUGE considering the schools and passion for rugby in the area. Griquas would make more sense though geographically but even though the area is huge Kimberley < Paarl, Stellenbosch and surrounds ITO money and population (a couple of dollar BILLIONAIRES with a 'B' living in the area FFS!).

Pumas are playing some good rugby right now but TBH we should be looking at being able to retain our best players before we start adding more team to SR. We already have enough routes for upcoming players to come through; that is what Currie Cup action is for.

Boland could also support a SR franchize if they were allowed and could get away from politics. A Boland team based in either Paarl or Stellenbosch could be HUGE considering the schools and passion for rugby in the area. Griquas would make more sense though geographically but even though the area is huge Kimberley < Paarl, Stellenbosch and surrounds ITO money and population (a couple of dollar BILLIONAIRES with a 'B' living in the area FFS!).

Pumas are playing some good rugby right now but TBH we should be looking at being able to retain our best players before we start adding more team to SR. We already have enough routes for upcoming players to come through; that is what Currie Cup action is for.

Not to burst your bubble, but I don't think Boland shouldn't be in the same category as the Pumas. Their home venue is Wellington, and we all know that the Boks don't win there, hell not even Boland wins there!! :p

I think the Pumas, Kings and Griquas are the only teams who should be considered. They are the most frequent teams in the premier division of the Currie Cup, but I like the idea of having different areas of the Country being opted for expansion. Nelspruit is 350+ km's away from any of the other big Union's home grounds. Kimberley is about 80km's away from Bloemfontein and Paarl, Stellenbosch or Wellington are all less than 100 km's away from Cape Town

Sorry but I must be going mental:

SOUTH AFRICA - YOU ALREADY HAVE SO MANY UNDER-PERFORMING TEAMS!

The whole competition is being changed to the point of just being a ****ty mess cause South Africa throws their toys out the pram when a sh*tty smaller union feels they're owed more than they provide.<king unions="" all="" want="" a="" piece="" of="" the="" action="" they're="" not="" competent="" enough="" to="" support.

Jesus..</king>

Sorry but I must be going mental:

SOUTH AFRICA - YOU ALREADY HAVE SO MANY UNDER-PERFORMING TEAMS!

The whole competition is being changed to the point of just being a ****ty mess cause South Africa throws their toys out the pram when a sh*tty smaller union feels they're owed more than they provide.<king unions="" all="" want="" a="" piece="" of="" the="" action="" they're="" not="" competent="" enough="" to="" support.

Jesus..</king>

Haha!

well, we all agree that this is just a dumb idea. But the Pumas are performing much better than the Kings, and they have very valid grounds with some great schools in the area feeding them and they have a SWC stadium just like the Kings. So why not allow them to throw their toys out and stir **** up with SARU. Adding fuel to the fire is just what we need now to have SARU come to point and realise they are making ****ty decisions.

Latest posts