TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
2577.2.jpg

Argentina are set to table a bid for either the 2023 or the 2027 Rugby World Cup, according to reports.

Great news, I'm sure Melhor will be excited, they should really think about using his blog in their campaign!!! His information on the potential of Argentina as host is seriously that good.....

Great news. They should get Hugo Porta involved too!

I really hope Argentina will host the 2027 RWC and it would be great to see the 2023 RWC go to Italy. While not a rugby stronghold, I'm sure Italy would draw full stadiums with its proximity to France and cheap flight connections to the UK and Ireland.

there certainly should not be considered

they wouldn't even be able to have the final at a stadium bigger than 50,000

and it would be almost certainly another shared World Cup with Wales

So only the big countries need apply?

Wonder would Croke Park open their doors again for a competition of that magnitude?

If the GAA were to agree to open their grounds, which admittedly might be tricky, there would be 1 stadium of 80,000 capacity, 3 of 50,000, 3 of 40,000 and 7 of 30,000+.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_in_Ireland_by_capacity

The GAA might agree to it, and I'd imagine that's what's planned for in the Irish bid, as they'd make a pile of money off renting out their grounds and I don't think the dates would interfere with any of their competitions (assuming a late September start).

If the Irish bid were to not be considered I think it should be on other grounds rather than available stadiums.

Only countries capable of hosting it need apply. I'm also of the opinion that Ireland would struggle to put on a good tournament. I'd love to see it here but am not so sure it's in the best interests of growing the sport. Argentina and Italy seem like more progressive options in my opinion.

Not the first time Pichot has said this much but its groundbreaking in that it was with a British course.

Great news, I'm sure Melhor will be excited, they should really think about using his blog in their campaign!!! His information on the potential of Argentina as host is seriously that good.....

Thanks! Its got to be there. A World Cup there would see full stadiums and be so unlike any other RWC. Visitors from Aus, NZ and RSA attending TRC matches this year will be shoked at the noice generated by Pumas fans at matches.

Here´s my post on it...

Great news. They should get Hugo Porta involved too!

I really hope Argentina will host the 2027 RWC and it would be great to see the 2023 RWC go to Italy. While not a rugby stronghold, I'm sure Italy would draw full stadiums with its proximity to France and cheap flight connections to the UK and Ireland.

No question about it 2023 and 2027 have got to go to the Latinos.

Ireland could host but its so uncertain given the issues of the GAA. Should Ireland actually decide to bit it could supply, I think, 6 venues (Croker, Aviva, Limerick, Belfast, Cork, Galway) but this is too few meaning Wales or Scotland will need to help out. Personally, I am fed up with Cardiff hosting matches at every European RWC. It could work with Scotland utilizing Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen. But a crap alternative to Argentina or Italy.

No, but ones with stadiums. New Zealand is small but has five Super Rugby teams with good stadiums and then has useful regional one for the lesser matches. The thing is a country needs at least four sizeable venues or it will never work out as a host.

Weekends see four big matches played. i.e. week one in 2011 was New Zealand vs Tonga (Auckland), South Africa vs Wales (Wellington), Italy vs Australia (Nth Harbour) and Argentina vs England (Dunedin).

Ireladn can´t just use Aviva and Croker for all these games.

Only countries capable of hosting it need apply. I'm also of the opinion that Ireland would struggle to put on a good tournament. I'd love to see it here but am not so sure it's in the best interests of growing the sport. Argentina and Italy seem like more progressive options in my opinion.

Perfect summary.

If the GAA were to agree to open their grounds, which admittedly might be tricky, there would be 1 stadium of 80,000 capacity, 3 of 50,000, 3 of 40,000 and 7 of 30,000+.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_in_Ireland_by_capacity

The GAA might agree to it, and I'd imagine that's what's planned for in the Irish bid, as they'd make a pile of money off renting out their grounds and I don't think the dates would interfere with any of their competitions (assuming a late September start).

If the Irish bid were to not be considered I think it should be on other grounds rather than available stadiums.

Except for Croke Park almost all GAA stadiums are pretty poor. No seats, no floodlights (some of them) and most of them look tiresome.

If 2023 and 2027 go to Italy and Argentina, I'm pretty sure 2031 will go to South Africa.

Ireland & Scotland might be able to host it together. Scotland's got some good stadiums in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and Dundee.

As others have said in previous posts while I think Ireland could just about pull it off I would of thought that Italy '23 and Argentina '27 would be the better options for spreading the gospel.

Also, if Georgia and Russia continue to grow their interest in the game they could look to share a future competition in maybe '31, '35 and '39.

Ireland & Scotland might be able to host it together. Scotland's got some good stadiums in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and Dundee.

Scotland having World Cup matches would not be good, as unlike Ireland they don't really like rugby too much

I can't imagine much crowds would turn up away from the biggest matches

Also, if Georgia and Russia continue to grow their interest in the game they could look to share a future competition in maybe '31, '35 and '39.

think hard, and try and work out why this could never happen

As others have said in previous posts while I think Ireland could just about pull it off I would of thought that Italy '23 and Argentina '27 would be the better options for spreading the gospel.

Russia wouldn't need Georgia to host a World Cup. Maybe just maybe Russia would use one Georgian stadium like England will use a stadium in Wales in 2015 but that's about it.

Russia wouldn't need Georgia to host a World Cup. Maybe just maybe Russia would use one Georgian stadium like England will use a stadium in Wales in 2015 but that's about it.

that will never happen, at least not for a long time

Russia and Georgia were at war over South Ossetia four years ago, and it is very difficult to travel between the two countries now and it is a politically tense situation now between the countries

in fact rugby has been effected a bit

in the 2009 and 2010 ENC, the Russia v Georgia match had to be moved to neutral territory one to Ukraine and one to Turkey due to the situation

in 2011, a Georgian player was arrested and held for a few hours without charge crossing the border into Russia on suspicion of terrorism, and many other Georgians find it difficult to travel to Russia

Russia and Georgia were at war over South Ossetia four years ago, and it is very difficult to travel between the two countries now and it is a politically tense situation now between the countries

in the 2009 and 2010 ENC, the Russia v Georgia match had to be moved to neutral territory one to Ukraine and one to Turkey due to the situation

in 2011, a Georgian player was arrested and held for a few hours without charge crossing the border into Russia on suspicion of terrorism, and many other Georgians find it difficult to travel to Russia

Oh yeah, completely forgot about their recent history lol.

Shame, as Georgia wouldn't be able to host alone and I love their passion for the game. Would like to see Russia host the RWC one day though if rugby continues to grow there.

I'm fully aware of the political situation between Georgia and Russia but if Russia is to host the RWC at all it won't be until at least 2035 or 2039 and a lot can happen between now and then.

Latest posts