English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
InterviewSharples.jpg

The 2011-2012 LV= Cup starts up again this weekend and we were lucky enough to catch Gloucester winger Charlie Sharples for a quick Q&A. Sharples scored 8 tries in the Cup last season, including one in the final against Newcastle Falcons.

Q: With Gloucester back into the Heineken Cup this season, how much focus is put onto the LV= Cup? Is it mainly used to blood younger players, or will you go out full force?

CS: I think Gloucester have always given it our all in the LV= Cup, we've got good results the past few years and last season we were able to go one step further and win the cup. It has been used to try out the newer players though, and luckily everyone ups their game and put in great performances.

Q: Is there anyone coming through the Gloucester ranks that we should keep an eye out for?

CS: It's hard to say, as I don't know who'll get selected. I like to think of myself as still a younger player, but I suppose I'm not anymore! Guys like Freddie Burns, Jonny May, Henry Trinder, Dave Lewis – they're all playing very well. Tom Savage is one to watch as well.

Q: You were involved in the Saxons set-up last season, and had a spot in the England training camp as well – What are your ambitions for the rest of this season?

CS: First and foremost it's to play well for Gloucester. I'd like to help us climb to the top of the table and play well in the cup competitions. I've had a taste of the England set up, and I definitely want to try and get more of it, however you need to be playing well for your club first to get noticed.

Q: Who do you think is the hardest player you've come up against, internationally or domestically?

CS: Ooh, it's really hard to single any one out. We come up against quality competition each week and you never get an easy ride, so it's very hard to pick out one player.

Q: Who's the biggest joker in the Gloucester squad?

CS: Definitely Andy Hazell – he's a big practical joker and thrives off of the banter. He'll still be coming in twice a week after he retires just to dish it out.

Q: Who's the worst to sit by on the coach, and the worst to share a room with?

CS: I normally manage to get to seats to myself on the coach, so I just spread out. Sharing a room…probably most forwards. They always snore and that's not what you want the night before a game.

Q: If you could play with any player in the world, who would it be?

CS: Someone like Quade Cooper – a game changer with real flair. It'd be great to be on the end of a bit of his magic. It'd never happen because he's Australia, I'm England, but someone like that.

Q: Thanks for the interview, and good luck with the rest of the season!

We'll be running a few competitions throughout the LV= Cup to win tickets to the matches, so keep your eyes out for them!

Last edited: