• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Qatar World Cup 2022: Should its election be annulled?

ZeFrenchy

First XV
Country Flag
France
This week, French weekly magazine France Football publishes a 20-page report where the validity of Qatar's election as 2022 World Cup hosts is questioned. The main reason, is that French President of the time, Nicolas Sarkozy, had supposedly pressured FIFA vice-president Michel Platini to vote for Qatar, after being promised investments from the Qatari royal family in France worth several million euros.
This adds to accusations of buying votes from delegates from Cameroon and Côte d'Ivoire. The whstle blower then retreated his accusations saying he had made everything up.
Votes by several other African federations, besides those from not-so-well-reputed Julio Grondona from Argentina and Ricardo Texeira from Brazil have been questioned.

Up to date, nothing has been proven. Do you guys think there is enough reason to repeat the voting?

This week, French weekly magazine France Football publishes a 20-page report where the validity of Qatar's election as 2022 World Cup hosts is questioned. The main reason, is that French President of the time, Nicolas Sarkozy, had supposedly pressured FIFA vice-president Michel Platini to vote for Qatar, after being promised investments from the Qatari royal family in France worth several million euros.
This adds to accusations of buying votes from delegates from Cameroon and Côte d'Ivoire. The whstle blower then retreated his accusations saying he had made everything up.
Votes by several other African federations, besides those from not-so-well-reputed Julio Grondona from Argentina and Ricardo Texeira from Brazil have been questioned.

Up to date, nothing has been proven. Do you guys think there is enough reason to repeat the voting?

If nothing has been proven, then nothing is wrong, so why change anything until there are facts??

A non-story. 'Several million Euro' is nothing in the context of the allegations.

I lived in doha for 5 years - in june/july the average temp is 42 C, but you often have temperatures of 45, 46 47 etc. It's hot enough sitting at the beach, I have no idea how they are expecting players to play 90 minutes in that heat. Even at night the temperature rarely drops below 30.

Last edited:
I lived in doha for 5 years - in june/july the average temp is 42 C, but you often have temperatures of 45, 46 47 etc. It's hot enough sitting at the beach, I have no idea how they are expecting players to play 90 minutes in that heat. Even at night the temperature rarely drops below 30. The idea that the stadiums would be air conditioned has already been dismissed as either not technically possible or so ridiculously expensive that not even an oil rich state would consider doing it.

How on earth is it not technically or feasibly possible?

Dubai has friggen ski resort for heaven's sake!

How on earth is it not technically or feasibly possible?

Dubai has friggen ski resort for heaven's sake!

They have a roof! The aim is to have 5 open stadiums and try and air condition them. The projected temp in the stadium will be about 50C and they aim to cool it down to 27C. Perhaps it may be technically possible, but I would imagine it would be a pretty tough task trying to get the stadium cool enough to play a game unless they put a roof on each stadium, which I think has been ruled out.

Yeah and sure even if the stadium is 27C you still have all the practice facilities, hotels, bars etc which all have to be considered. Whether there was corruption involved in the decision, I'm not at liberty to say. However, it seems like holding a world cup in Qatar is bloody crazy to me when you had good options like England or Australia both of which are sports mad countries who have both hosted bigger events.

The other option is to have it in winter - the temp is 24/25 degrees. But summer is just not going to work.

Latest posts