TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Northampton.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Ulster.png

This could be one-sided and I fear for Ulster. Hope I'm wrong but away from home this could be a battle too far.

Saints racked up nigh on 100 points in their last 2 games but weren't as convincing as I'd like to be. Hopefully they're still in the ascendancy after the mid season slump. Conversely, Ulster seem to be making a habit of stealing games right at the death.

Neutral ground (albeit with more Saints fans), so I suspect it'll be close. I'll worry if it's less then 3 points in it with a couple of minutes to go.

Bullit big factor is though Ulster are stealing games against mid-table ML teams. Saints is a big step up and well Ferris is a killer blow for them.
They need everything to go right for them and alot to go wrong for Saints to steal this.

Just out of interest what is the pitch like at MK

God knows, I've never been inside it myself! It looks tidy enough on telly (and for that matter, is an international A+ graded soccer facility) so I expect it should be okay. I'll bet my bottom dollar though it's not up to Piggys Patch at FG though.

I always have my doubts about these newish stadiums and whatever way they lay pitches these day they cut up easy

I think Northampton will win by 5-10 as Ulster have already acheived alot this season and although they will obviuosly want to win it I think they will be happy with their progress in the H-Cup this and anything else will be a bonus. That said I don't think the Saints will be able to bully Ulster's pack as much as they would have liked to and if Ferris was avliable Northampton would have a had a much bigger challenge but I think Ulster may struggle to contain the Saints once they get abit of forward momentum.

It's not that new any more. Sarries used it 4-5 years ago if I remember correctly and the pitch apparently held up pretty well.

Jeez it shows how fast time flies I didn't think it was there that long but just asked because was reading article about Aviva stadium and Millenium stadium and while they are 2 of our best stadia around it says they are argubally 2 of the worst pitches in UK and Ireland

Edgely Park is fine.

Especially if you like playing sand pits or are partial to a pizza!

Well that's a swimming pool :D

But in fairness the money poured in to these big stadiums and Wembley was the same yet they give us these awful pitches it a joke

Firstly, this is the first time in my life I've ever welcomed the prospect of going to Milton Keynes.

Wouldn't care to bet on this game. Ulster will need to front up, banish the weak first up tackles and make sure they get their share of possession. If that happens, it could be on - and the longer we can stay in the game, the nervier the Saints will get - and I think possibly the more tired too. A lot of their best players really haven't had much time off this season and I'm hoping the fatigue counts against them.

Ulster squad v Northampton in the Heineken Cup quarter final on Sunday at 2pm:

Forwards: Jerry Cronin, Declan Fitzpatrick, Tom Court, BJ Botha, Paddy McAllister, Bryan Young, Rory Best, Nigel Brady, Andi Kyriacou, Ryan Caldwell, Dan Tuohy, Johann Muller, Tim Barker, Pedrie Wannenburg, TJ Anderson, Willie Faloon, Chris Henry, Robbie Diack.

Backs:
Ruan Pienaar, Paul Marshall, Ian Humphreys, Niall O'Connor, Ian Whitten, Nevin Spence, Paddy Wallace, Darren Cave, Andrew Trimble, Simon Danielli, Craig Gilroy, Jamie Smith, Adam D'Arcy.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2011/0406/ulster.html

Out of interest, which TRFites are going to be at this one?

Latest posts