• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Quade Cooper Quits Australian Rugby

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/7971036/Quade-Cooper-quits-the-Wallabies-report

Controversial Wallabies first -five Quade Cooper has reportedly quit Australian rugby.
According to Channel Nine, New Zealand-born Cooper has quit the ARU and the Wallabies and may now pursue a rugby career overseas or switch to rugby league.
The move comes after he was offered an incentive-only based contract by the ARU.

So who will put the toys back in his pram?

Last edited:
Yeah just saw this on Yahoo. Bit of a shame as he's still pretty much the best 1st 5/8th in Australia when fully fit. With that being said he had an attitude problem, and probably less disruptive now he's gone. Wonder if he'll try his luck in the NRL or if he'll go to France/Japan?

Well, at this moment this isn't any loss for the Wallabies considering his attitude, but... just look at some videos from 2011 Reds-Blues semifinal and honestly answer if it wouldn't be nice to see such a player when on form. Sometimes he reminded me of Carlos Spencer, difficult to find a more entertaining player - again, when on form.
I certainly would like him to stay in union, of course he'd have to sort a few things out first...

If only he had a better attitude.

Really disappointed in this - Beale is a much better fullback than first five, and Barnes is better at inside centre (or on the bench), in between a couple of X factor players. O'Connor is a possibility, but for me he's more of a playmaking wing.

Can't see him making it in League - he lacks the guts and commitment. As for converted fullbacks playing first five - i believe Stephen Larkham would like a word. Beale needs a little more time, a better pack and maybe some luck.

It's time some Australian players move on from their current attitude of me, me & me off the field (from what I see). Hopefully they can sort themselves out and move forward - Unless he had a massive ego change, then Quade Cooper was not the way to go.

It also looks from the report, that the ARU aren't just trimming some fat, they're roasting pork. I wonder, if anyone else is next?

Bath are a write-off -I'd much rather Quade went to Saints, as a good fly-half is pretty much the main thing they need to be a very top european team.
Saying that, Cooper will definitely go to France.

Bath are a write-off -I'd much rather Quade went to Saints, as a good fly-half is pretty much the main thing they need to be a very top european team.
Saying that, Cooper will definitely go to France.
I think the Saints have a fair bit of work to do to become a top european team. The pack is an area of strength, with plenty of depth in every position. All of Tonga'uiha, Mujati, Mercey, PDJ and Waller are out of contract, so they need to tie down a few of these, but a couple may move on. There seems to be a good supply of props through the academy, so this wouldn't be a disaster. Dowson and Lamb are out of contract - both should be let go to free up some money. Saints need to bring in two covering fullbacks, a top winger, a top flyhalf, and tie down Myler (or bring in a good covering flyhalf) and Roberts (or bring in a good covering scrum-half). I can see a lot of movement in the backline if Saints want to be a top team.

If Jonny May doesn't stay at Gloucester, I can see Tigers and Saints in a race for him. Let Cato and Armstrong go and bring May in. Would be a fantastic signing for the Saints, starting as a quality winger and providing back-up to Foden, and allows the prop + Dowson + Lamb money (a lot of money - probably enough to sign Cooper...) to be spent on strengthening the half-backs.

Last edited:
Word has it Lamb is off to France, I'm of the opinion that Myler can go with him, and Mallender is supposedly on the prowl for a top level 10.

No arguement regarding Armstrong and Cato, may would be a perfect replacement for them too with the added bonus of being forever ignored by the England selectors. However, he'd have to be better then Jamie Elliott who's likely to make the 11 shirt his own within the next 12 months.

As a squad (1st XV) I don't think they're far from Leinater or Clermont, its the mentality of the coaching staff what hold them back.

*yawn* i think most of Australia is all quaded out.

Make that the World rather than just Australia!

There would be a huge gamble for any French side to take him as he seems disruptive, egotisical and in need of a firm hand round his throat to control his waywardness. Besides, as a defender he is a liability and would open up a huge gap down the 10 channel or distract other members of a team to cover his ineptitude. He is ideal for Racing................!!

Can't see him making it in League - he lacks the guts and commitment. As for converted fullbacks playing first five - i believe Stephen Larkham would like a word. Beale needs a little more time, a better pack and maybe some luck.

It's time some Australian players move on from their current attitude of me, me & me off the field (from what I see). Hopefully they can sort themselves out and move forward - Unless he had a massive ego change, then Quade Cooper was not the way to go.

It also looks from the report, that the ARU aren't just trimming some fat, they're roasting pork. I wonder, if anyone else is next?

The only thing Copper would be good at in League is mid-field points duty, directing traffic!

He can't tackle, especially head on, that's why they hide him at fullback when they don't have the ball from set piece. He is also too liable to unload stupid, low percentage passes that no-one expects, or execute dumb chip-kicks.

He would be a big liability in any NRL side.

This was expected, especially after SBW recently made the switch back to league.

The question now however is, WTF are the Aussies going to do with their team? JOC and Kurtley surely are the most abled replacements, but they play for the same franchise in Super Rugby, so one will get more playing time than the other at 10. Giteau is out of the picture, Barnes and Harris looks more and more like centres than fly-halves... Who's left? Sias Ebersohn???

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Latest posts