Quality of Youth & Schools Rugby in different countries

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by Thingimubob, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Thingimubob

Thingimubob Guest

I'm playing a touring Canadian school on Saturday and always wondered how the quality of the teams/coaching compares in different countries. Havent really had that much experience apart from playing a French team for my club and thrashing them 50 something to nil and a different Canadian school that came down to us as part of a tour. My schools 1st and 2nd team did a tour of Canada last year, which I couldn't go on, and basically both put 40 points on all of them bar a private school, who they lost narrowly to. I did hear that the private schools director of rugby (something which we dont even have in my school :p i mean the 2nd team is co-coached by a Welsh and a Biology teacher) was part of the Welsh International Side's coaching team at some point or other.
    From what I've heard teams from New Zealand and South Africa tend to be class, not sure about other teams. What're your experiences on teams from other sides?

Btw have a bit of a problem with TRF recently, won;t let me type in the box when replying/starting a topic unless I click a button which says ''switch between standard and rich text editor''.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. from the canadians ive played against they arent really good ..;well drilled methidical but no flair to the play really cant cope in broken play or without their defence set up perfectly ..

french - decent teams tendancy for a bit of dirt but normally have fairly solid pack and good 10 12 13.. take them on up front if you start beating them in the pack they wont want to know about it ..;nice guys though off the field .. dont hold their drink well at all .. half the team puking up on field on one occasionafter a good night out

spainish...sound guys ..not much else haha

italians . proper heroes from my expiriance with them really get into the spirit of the game and can play a bit f rugby too

Belgians.. dear lord we got a shock have onlyplayed agaist 2 belgian clubs.. kituro and ausb...serous operators both teams huge packs and will pound straigth down the pitch all day

english.. had the joy of playing against old northamptonians ...never ever will i want to try this again...simply out of this world good ..but great lads too made good friends on tour with some lads from the dudley and south end proper decent chaps .. serious drinkers too

welsh...consistantly good teams from my expiriance .and easily the easiest guys to get along with .

never played against any scots but would love a crack at them and a night out after

4. Thingimubob

Thingimubob Guest

Scottish rugby fans are legendary to have a few drinks with :lol: spoke to loads on a night out in Cardiff after the Scotland match this year, so I'm sure their players are too.
    I agree about the Canadians, they tend to be huge compared to us, just never that good. We played a school called Aldergrove a couple of years ago, and they were pretty damn big (my school has never really had big packs), but we beat them something like 24 - 7.
    I think my school coach is quite confident about the match we have on saturday as he's on playing a few first team players, and it's mostly 2nd team players with a few year 10's called up, which is strange because they're quite a bit younger than the Canadians will be.

5. Nickdnz

Nickdnz Guest

I'd say the coaching and player level in NZ schools is arguably the best in the world (which is why NZ tends to do so well in junior/school levels in international tornements.). There are several reasons for this however. Coaches who have coached at some high level wether it be NPC or slightly lower levels are avalible to school teams, as they often want to continue coaching but not make of it career. An example of this was my coach was a former Wellington rep and Woman's NPC coach. This may be true in places such as England, however because of the larger population, it will be less common for decent coaches to teach the same percentage of teams.

Another reason is due to things such as Rugby Academies which exsist to teach talented youth at an early age to hone on their skills.

The final big reason we tend to have a good system is due to the number of Maori/Pacific Island players in our school systems. They tend to mature early and are naturally talented. This also lifts up the level of other children as they have to be able to play well to be competitive. This sounds stupid, but it is true. I've heard South African schools are supposed to be pretty tough as well, so I'd imagine they'd have a simular system. Australia's school system is poor. Playing for a school that dosn't have a great rugby culture, we thrashed an Australian XV 1st devision team fairly easily, so from the looks of it, their early development isn't as good in union as it is in League.

One thing I will note that I've heard in the french system, you're not allowed to tackle above the waist untill your 12 or 14. If this is true then that is a very good system as it teaches people to tackle correctly.

6. Rocket Singh

Rocket Singh Guest

Heres an excerpt from the BBC talking about Rugby in the South West of France:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    I would say that the pass/fail notes being sent out would never happen at Northampton's academy as Northamptonshire believes paper to be the work of the devil which is why they always use sheep's hide instead.

One of my friends at University attended a relatively decent Public (Private) School in Cumbria which had a half decent team but they were in a joint state & private competition so they'd be playing state school teams from England and Scotland who would barely be able to muster 15 players together on the day or they'd be playing a really hardcore Public School which took its rugby way too seriously and had a proper physio and an ex-forces PE teacher (preferably Parachute Regiment or Royal Marine Commando) making them run up and down hills with rocks on their back.

End result was they'd either be winning by 100 points or losing by 100 points.

7. Haysie

Haysie Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Mar 19 2010, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    What school was that?

8. Thingimubob

Thingimubob Guest

Hammered the Canadians 45 - 19, so good win. I liked playing them, there was no niggle/ intentional dirty play at all, they were just there to play rugby and enjoy themselves. They dont half hit hard though! My friend managed to get me smashed with a bad hospital pass :rolleyes:...

9. yeah the guys we had had some american football players on the squad..defensive linemen they hit hard but its ridiculously easy to step them as in nfl they are more worried about driving the guy back more than yards so they basically dive randomly at you .but whe they do get you ...imagina a fridge falling on your chest ..

10. DonBilly

DonBilly Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rocket Singh @ Mar 19 2010, 07:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I would say that the pass/fail notes being sent out would never happen at Northampton's academy as Northamptonshire believes paper to be the work of the devil which is why they always use sheep's hide instead.

One of my friends at University attended a relatively decent Public (Private) School in Cumbria which had a half decent team but they were in a joint state & private competition so they'd be playing state school teams from England and Scotland who would barely be able to muster 15 players together on the day or they'd be playing a really hardcore Public School which took its rugby way too seriously and had a proper physio and an ex-forces PE teacher (preferably Parachute Regiment or Royal Marine Commando) making them run up and down hills with rocks on their back.

End result was they'd either be winning by 100 points or losing by 100 points.
    [/b][/quote]

It's not because many players are Stade Toulousain players that Stade Toulousain Rugby academy was well represented. The only one player who learnt its Rugby there is Clément Poitrenaud. The Rugby academy which provided the most players to the French team which played England last Saturday is Bourgoin: Bonnaire, Chabal, Nallet, Parra and Pierre.

11. Boggle

Boggle Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Mar 19 2010, 06:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Hmmm, perhaps, I'd like to see the giants in SA school rugby take on the top NZ schools though, think it might be something to see indeed.

Teams like Paul Roos, Grey College, Paarl Gym and Paarl Boys high are insanely talented, with most Springboks probably coming from Grey College alone,
    I wouldn't be surprised if any of the teams I mentioned were able to beat currie cup sides, the smaller ones at any rate.

We also have an awesome Varsity system in place, with the biggest Universities in the country playing each other on Monday nights for the FNB Varsity cup. Sort of
    like Monday night football in the US.

I can only give the view of a South African though, as I don't know much about what goes on with schools rugby in the rest of the world, but School rugby over here
    is also very popular, usually the Paarl Gym vs Paarl boys high attracts around 25000 spectators, same for Paul Roos vs Grey College.

12. FeroX

FeroX Guest

This is a very interesting topic to read from your guys' point of view. I haven't toured myself but when I talked to the guys who have toured (mostly Wales, one guy went to Wales and Scotland) they talked about the speed of your guys' game and the fine skills you have honed, as you usually start at a much, much younger age than we would. Normally they said they got out-matched in most rugby skills during the game and it killed them. Most of the kids in Canada playing rugby now more than likely starting playing in gr. 9, bar the private schools that can start anywhere from grade 3 or 4 up. It would be like us coming to Britain touring playing ice hockey.

I can see how we would get easily beaten in the loose or in broken play. You guys would react much quicker and know what to do as you've been through the paces a hundred times, and we might be a little slower to react thus allowing the try or whatever. Like I said though, interesting topic. Especially with someone mentioning 25k at a high school game in SA, that's awesome, those are the kind of numbers American hs football games get.

13. Nickdnz

Nickdnz Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Haysie @ Mar 19 2010, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    What school was that?
    [/b][/quote]
    I beleive it was Chevalier College.

14. Woldog

Woldog Guest

IGS 1sts thrashed the **** out of some English school that won the English schools thing and then toured Australia, we beat them like 50 nil after they talked themselves up something chronic on Assembly that morning.

15. stormer2010

stormer2010 Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boggle @ Mar 22 2010, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Hmmm, perhaps, I'd like to see the giants in SA school rugby take on the top NZ schools though, think it might be something to see indeed.

Teams like Paul Roos, Grey College, Paarl Gym and Paarl Boys high are insanely talented, with most Springboks probably coming from Grey College alone,
    I wouldn't be surprised if any of the teams I mentioned were able to beat currie cup sides, the smaller ones at any rate.

We also have an awesome Varsity system in place, with the biggest Universities in the country playing each other on Monday nights for the FNB Varsity cup. Sort of
    like Monday night football in the US.

I can only give the view of a South African though, as I don't know much about what goes on with schools rugby in the rest of the world, but School rugby over here
    is also very popular, usually the Paarl Gym vs Paarl boys high attracts around 25000 spectators, same for Paul Roos vs Grey College.
    [/b][/quote]

I'd say NZ, SA are somewhat ahead of the rest ITO schools rugby. Can't speak for France or the Americas though. Only ever played 1 Argentine school team and no French. Maybe not even the best teams from other nations but then again we weren't even anywhere near the higher divisions in Western cape schools rugby.

I would agree that the 4 schools you mentioned would in all probability beat the Currie cup sides apart from the Bulls and probably Stormers. What I never can figure out is how the WP and Stormers manage to be so idiotic ITO selections and development while having Paul Roos, Paarl Gym and Boy's High as well as Ikeys and Maties at varsity level be the premier teams in SA schools and varsity rugby every year. Grey College is huge. If only the Cheetahs couldhold onto those boytjies/bokkies but then again, who wants to live in Bloem if you can help it?

16. Olyy

Olyy Guest

My old secondary school tours SA every year, i never went but they only lost 1 game while i went to that school (6 years)

17. Haysie

Haysie Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Mar 23 2010, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    What school was that?
    [/b][/quote]
    [/b][/quote]

Man no way... I've played for that team for the last 2 years!

18. Nickdnz

Nickdnz Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Haysie @ Mar 24 2010, 01:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    What school was that?
    [/b][/quote]
    [/b][/quote]

Man no way... I've played for that team for the last 2 years!
    [/b][/quote]
    Did you go on the exchange to Onslow College then? And i even took on a billit, so don't tell me it didn't happen.

19. Nickdnz

Nickdnz Guest

20. Nickdnz

Nickdnz Guest

We went bowling afterwards...I think you guys call it New Zealand Sports Exchange, in which you went with hockey and rugby teams. The last link was from the 2007 exchange.

21. Haysie

Haysie Guest

Hahah I wouldn't pretend it didn't happen... But the score was definitely not a thrashing, we lost by 10 if I remember? We then played Shirley Boys in Christchurch and lost 27-29 then won against Kings in Dunedin.
    The conditions that day were soooo bad haha, I have no idea how you manage to play regularly in that weather! The mud must have been a foot deep!
    Who did you take on as a billet?

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!