Kiwiwomble

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Otago
I think this deserves its own thread

I never know what to say at these times but im pretty sad, as much as i can be for someone i never met

The % of people in the world who have known it without QEII in it is pretty small, thats a huge constant gone

Generally i consider myself a forward thinking kind of person but i am also a fan of the monarchy, its a constant through the generations and that is obviously due hugely to her

RIP

1662677573424.png

Do you think more likely now that Australia and NZ become republics?

Do you think more likely now that Australia and NZ become republics?
I think in Aus its definitely more likely, although the republic movement did themselves no favours but putting out a tweet within an hour of the announcement

Anecdotally i know people that liked the Queen but not the monarchy and so thats gone now

Think many will become Republics but will remain in Commonwealth.
Personally no bad, Charles will further modernise the monarchy, the Commonwealth being one of them.

I think in Aus its definitely more likely, although the republic movement did themselves no favours but putting out a tweet within an hour of the announcement

Anecdotally i know people that liked the Queen but not the monarchy and so thats gone now
When I was backpacking around Oz 20 years ago, I recall many streets in Melbourne and Adelaide were named after her, so she won't be forgotten anytime soon.

But yes, I recall reading that Australian republican would respect the monarchy as head of state until she died. I can see that Australia is moving away from its Colonial past with the whole respect Aboriginal and singing part of "Advance Australia fair" in the Aboriginal language.

One of our republican movements very publically tweeted when it was obvious what was happening that they wouldn't be colossal *****.

When I was in my 20s I was beyond indifferent about the Royal Family. But time changes your views on so many things. I'm in my 50s now and she's been virtually the only constant over my lifetime.

A remarkable life. Privileged for sure, but in return she went above and beyond in devoting her whole long life to serving the country, for the most part very effectively. The media coverage will be overkill, but this really is a very big moment for the country in many ways. I will probably try to get to Westminster Hall for the lying in state to pay my respects. RIP Ma'am.

When I was backpacking around Oz 20 years ago, I recall many streets in Melbourne and Adelaide were named after her, so she won't be forgotten anytime soon.

But yes, I recall reading that Australian republican would respect the monarchy as head of state until she died. I can see that Australia is moving away from its Colonial past with the whole respect Aboriginal and singing part of "Advance Australia fair" in the Aboriginal language.
Aren't there loads of aboriginal languages?

I was always told that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all, so I'll say, to be fair, while I despise the institution of the Royal Family, she seemed a pretty decent human being and always conducted herself well. The best of a bad bunch. RIP

Not trolling, as I judge people by their words and deeds rather than what insituition they are born into. But for anyone reading about the UK in mourning, here is a dose of reality from footage of a curtailed 1 minute silence at my football club in Edinburgh at halftime yesterday when the death was announced.

I don't condone the activity (and there is a lot of complexity behind it, it's not as awful as it sounds as most of the booing was aimed at louts and then at wannabee loyalists rather than at Liz SCG) but a lot of people are utterly sick of imposed artificial grief by the state and lost absolutely any sympathy for this process with the Orwellian activity around Phil Andreou's death.

I'd keep one minute silences only for people affiliated to the sport in question. Leave it to individuals to grieve or not as they please for anything else.

EDIT: I should add I wasn't there. I observe minute silences impeccably, albeit sometimes at the loo depending on the subject of the silence.

Last edited:
I feel bad for the family in their personal capacities. Losing the matriarch of your family sucks no matter what. I'm glad that Camilla is being given the ***le of Queen cause denying her it would be such a shitty and petty thing to do.

I am very confused by all the people who are taking this as if they are Charles himself.

I honestly don't get ordinary public members who were apparently in tears at the news, but then I don't get it for celebrities either. Yes it's sad and I feel for her family and I understand the significance of it, but those people are ridiculous for crying (same with celebrities).

I honestly don't get ordinary public members who were apparently in tears at the news, but then I don't get it for celebrities either. Yes it's sad and I feel for her family and I understand the significance of it, but those people are ridiculous for crying (same with celebrities).
I agree but as you allude to, people do this kind of stuff for a whole manner of different people. We're emotional creatures at the end of the day.

I find it bizarre but rightly or wrongly a lot of people saw her as the epitome of everything that was good about Britain, some of them their life even. To a lot of other people she was just part of the furniture and always there in the background throughout their life.

Having said all that I still cant get my head around people breaking down about it.

I'll be super sad when David Attenborough dies for similar reasons I stated above for why people love the queen but I won't loose any sleep when he does die but I guess we're all different.

Not got to Diana levels of hysteria yet.

My own opinion is that those crying are more crying for an end of era and what she represented rather than over her actual death - she was 96 at the end of the day.

Mawkishness and outpouring was definitely worse when Diana died, but mostly because of circumstances of her demise. End of the day that was primarily due to her not wearing a seatbelt.