• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Queensland Reds vs Chiefs (Waikato)

Q

QLD

Hopefully I'll be going to my first Reds game of the season.

0,5001,6550652,00.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Queensland Reds Peter Hynes ruled out of Chiefs clash

By Jim Morton
March 26, 2009

Ex-Brisbane Bronco Rod Davies will get an instant test of his redeveloped rugby instincts when he's thrown into his Queensland debut against the Super 14's most destructive winger.

Davies will mark tackle-shedding Chiefs flyer Lelia Masaga at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night after Wallabies winger Peter Hynes underwent knee surgery on Thursday.

Hynes' knee locked up at training late on Wednesday and was immediately booked in for an arthroscope on Thursday morning which should see him sidelined for two weeks.

The in-form Australia winger's blow was compounded by Brando Va'aulu suffering a hamstring strain in his return from a groin injury.

But it presents a major opportunity for Davies who returned to the code this year after two largely fruitless seasons with the Brisbane Broncos.

The 20-year-old endured a frustrating time in league due to injuries which never allowed him to push for an NRL berth but he has no regrets despite initially leaving rugby as one of the most promising juniors in the game.

Davies was an electrifying full-back in the highly-successful 2006 Australian Schoolboys team which also featured Reds teammate Quade Cooper and NSW's Kurtley Beale.

"You kind of think about (whether it was the right move) here and there," he admitted.

"It's taken me a bit longer to get back into rugby than I thought this year but the Broncos were great

"Two years in league really helped me with my toughness.

"And to be around guys like Darren Lockyer and Karmichael Hunt, you learn a lot from them."

Davies and fellow league convert Mark McLinden have fed off each other in their pre-season transition with the older full-back setting a fine path to follow in his first five Super 14 games.

"The transition from league is not as easy as it's made out to be," he said. "I was starting to get back into league (last year) and the instincts were starting to click in.

"Now in union I still have to think about it a bit."

Coach Phil Mooney gave Davies his vote of confidence following a two-try performance for Queensland Academy against the Junior Waratahs, opting to move him onto the wing and keeping Digby Ioane at centre instead of a backline reshuffle.

The Rockhampton-born back is unfazed about opposing Masaga who, with Sitiveni Sivivatu and Mils Muliaina, is a key part of the dangerous Chiefs backline.

"Every winger is the comp is pretty good no matter what team you're playing against," Davies said.

"I've dreamt this for a while, so it comes as a surprise, but I'm just going to take it and run with it."[/b]

Woldog will be ****** off with this.

Why because my knee locked up during training on Wednesday and I have surgery on Thursday?

I was speaking with Rodney last night, Hynes told him last Sunday that his knee was catching slightly.

Just came back from the game. Was not good at all to be a Reds fan, but the Chiefs were unstoppable tonight and I'm declaring them favourites for the super 14 this year if they can keep that consistency up every week. Their counter attack was their main weapon and pretty much used their attacking flair to win. They were good to watch, but after 19-0 after 12 minutes you knew it was game over for the Reds unfortunetly. I just saw it was a 6-4 try count, swear the Chiefs scored more so I dunno why Donald kept going for penalties when they had the game won.

Just as the siren went it started pouring with rain. There were tons of Chiefs fans at the game, especially where we were sitting haha. Interesting to note Quade was the only Reds player to sign autographs with the fans after the game was Quade Cooper, for about 20 minutes in the rain. About 5-6 Chiefs fans after the game went to the fans, Luakua the big Chiefs no.8 was nice enough to have a photo taken. Also saw Robbie Deans after the game and he too gave us a photo, my mate get calling him Dingo.

I tipped them at the start of the season to win it but despite their awesome performances i think their style is to loose and they will struggle against tougher sides like the Bulls who keep the ball and dont give to much turnover ball. Saying that i fansy them strongly for the top 4.

Awesome game, such a nice change from the NH garbage I've had to put up with.
Berrick Barnes must be shattered now, seeing as he has to play for himself and Quade Cooper, the useless bag of toss.

I couldn't careless about the rest of the game I was watching my buddy Rodney Davies play, he was buggered by the end, throwing up :S Ironic that he came on to replace Peter Hynes but couldn't go off because he had no replacement.
Still got a handshake with him as he was walking off.
As for the rest of the Reds, we just didn't adjust to the way the Chiefs were playing, they were spreading us too thin and we weren't reacting, Connor did some fantastic tackles, Davies did some good breaks, Barnes kicked way to much, McLinden vanished whenever the Chiefs got near the line, Hardman got judo thrown pretty nicely for an old bloke.

:/ Connor was useless. Out of position so many times.
Loved how they asked the pack who wanted to come off and Horwill was like yeah, me please. I'm buggered. :D

Where were you seating Woldog. I was sitting gate A end 309-310 somewhere, surrounded by hundreds of Waikato fans.

I'm surprised people haven't commented on the absurdity of the officiating in the game.
Umpteen forward passes were missed, a clear sivivatu try was let to go unnoticed. Quite astonishing.
I even think the officials felt guilty after not going to the TMO for sivivatu's try that they allowed a blatant forward pass which led to his 2nd try seconds later. 2 rights don't make a wrong, remember?
Brilliantly entertaining game though.

BTW. How big a lad is Masaga?
They kept calling him a pocket rocket, but he certainly didn't look a small man to me.

'm quite surprised I forgot about the ref's performance! You couldn't really call it biased, because he was equally inept for both teams. I went mad when the 'touchie' ruled a knock-on for Sivivatu, but then there were the numerous forward passes that went astray!
Masaga was good today, using his weight and making yards... Not like Tuitavake did for the Blues though!! Even though they lost he was amaaaaaaaaaathing!!!!11!!111!!one!11!
PS: I know everyone hates him, but Stephen Donald is actually great!

Yeah Stephen Donald seems to be doing great...and as a result the whole team is playing better.

Chiefs are the new Crusaders...watch their style of play...those hot potato passses and putting people into gaps....even Lauaki passes better.

Highlanders are the new Blues.

Caught the 2nd half and it was awesome to watch. Masaga is gota be looked at for the black jersey surely he's been making breaks all season, busting tackles and his defence has sharpened up too. Didn't get to see what happened with Sivivatu but the old man reckons he got ripped off a try but still managed to get 2 anyway so I guess he wouldn't be too mad about it.

I've noticed right around the whole Super14 there's alot of blatant forward passes not being called especially if they lead to a try probably because the ref or the touchies don't want to be the ones that the fans give stick to. There's also alot of passes that look like they go forward but are being called up because the person passing stays stationary and the receivers on the move giving the effect that the motion of the ball has gone forward.

Anyway pretty good weekend of Rugby for the New Zealand teams hopefully our other top Franchises like the Crusaders and Blues can pick their game up next week and come away with convincing wins.

Even though the Reds didn't win I couldn't careless, I'm just happy Rodney Davies played as well as he did.

If we weren't playing the force this weekend I'd be pretty worried about our back three. Too young and/or inexperienced.

Rodney Davies, should go alright against the Force, he played against James O'Connor all his life.

Latest posts