• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Queensland Reds

H

Hamster

Well it might have been an improvement from last season but still only 3 wins for the season, we came so close in about 5 games we lost and we definetly should have won 2-3 of those..

Where do the Reds go from here with the mass cleanout, more than 10 players are retiring or leaving including Crofty, Latham, Moore, Blake, Cordinly, Scicofiske, Siale, O'Donoghue and possibly Turinui and Humpries, how can we improve and fair up in 2009.

Definetly got so many young players with big potential, signing the Faingaa twins, Horwill is set to be a long term captain now, Leroy Houston, Ben Lucas, Quade Cooper, Berrick Barnes and even Peter Hynes represent a good future for the Reds and we need these players to stay here if we are to improve as a team.

Seriously I'd like the Reds to win the super 14 one day.

Mate it's an ongoing problem. You can't expect a team to improve with such a player exodus. It seems every time the Reds look like making big leaps a bunch of senior players will leave. It's true we do have a lot of quality young players but that won't be enough. I predict another losing season in 2009.

Seriously though, Phil Mooney is a good coach, which is something they've lacked in a long time.

If he can help develop some of their younger talents, and maybe pinch a few players from the other teams over the next few years they can do well.

But, I think next year will be tough for them.

Phil Mooney's now accepted a job coaching the Australia A side, so he'll definitely get to know the players that are class. Hopefully these players will form an affinity with him, as a coach, and become more attracted toward the red jersey or to consider it.
Top notch bloke, cutty is.

Mate, they basically need the recruiting money and power that the Force rustled up (and which the Brumbies have traditionally done).

With the possible revamped comp in the next 2 seasons I think the Reds can realistically only look towards this as the lifeline to longer term success.

Once again they have been gutted of most of their true Super14 class players.

Their inside backs are good, but need to improve if they are going to be true class. But the potential is there. Outside backs will now be the problem area. Turinui is solid, but another good winger and fullback must be found as well as a 7?!

Next year will be harder than this one given their current stocks...

Mate trust me, there's a flanker that captains our school side that won't be far out of the Super 14.

Mate trust me, there's a flanker that captains our school side that won't be far out of the Super 14. [/b]
Who are you talking about, and what school? Hard to think there could be a schoolboy flanker out there that's ready to step in and fill Croft's boots. What Pocock and James O'Connor have done is very rare.

It'd take a flanker straight out of school a good few years to get up the level of Phil Waugh, George Smith, Richie McCaw, Shalk Burger, Daniel Braid and Chris Masoe.

These are the type of guys running around in the Super14, the best in the world. Not just school kids. Not to say your man ain't gunna be the man soon though. But forwards don't traditionally make the big time until they reach thier 20's. A 21 year old Super14 forward is a prodigy, hence the ridiculousness of Pocock being close to play as an 18 year old.

There'll be some talent out there somewhere looking to make the break to the bigtime though. Whether the Reds are an attractive proposition for a developing player is another question all to itself.

The fact the Reds weren't able to sign Pocock would suggest that they don't have enough of a foundation to build around just yet.

But, if they can hold the talent they have now...in 2 years time their top youngsters (Horwill, Lucas, Cooper, Barnes, Hynes) will be quite experienced (but still young) campaigners and the comp will likely double in length all of a sudden.

The money on tap in Brisbane (as well as the lifestyle) could be enough to lure some foreign talent to the Reds from NZ and SA and te Pacific Islands.

That's when I see the Reds having an equal chance (for the first time in ages) of being able to build a championship team.

Yeah true, I shouldn't have said that. But Ben Evans, captain of the TSS 1st XV is a high quality player. At a rough estimate I'd say over the last four matches he's scored 5 to 7 tries.

i reckon in about 5 years theyll be up there.
they just need to establish a good player base and theyll be set!

Yeah true, I shouldn't have said that. But Ben Evans, captain of the TSS 1st XV is a high quality player. At a rough estimate I'd say over the last four matches he's scored 5 to 7 tries. [/b]

Wow funny you say that.. you go to TSS? haha fair enough I go to BBC and witnessed myself the smashing your first xv gave our first XV.. difference between the two sides I know noticed was definetly your captain Ben Evans, that guy was f***ing everywhere on the field.. kicked from his 22 and chased up and forced the winger to get penalised for holding the ball.. plus that trick scrum move they did and he ran up the hill to hug tss old boys....bloody good player dont get me wrong, but would he be big enough to play super 14 next year let alone ever? Is he Welsh.. because i read his brother Luke is playing for u20 Wales... would he do that as well? Did he repeat or was he in year 11 last year?

What about Simon Morahhan has he got potential?

Latest posts